Germany at the 2014 World Cup in Brasil!

Nice training venues and nice mutual treatment between Germans and local fans at the town.

g_116885_moradores-de-santa-cruz-cabrali

g_116874_jogadores-alemaes-pisaram-no-so

This is how to get local sympathy (both flags in the plane, being nice at the arrival with fans)

• Like 1

some more pics from the arrival yesterday - found on the website of the most popular German news show "Tagesschau"

ankunft-in-brasilien110_v-gseagaleriexl.

ankunft-in-brasilien116_v-gseagaleriexl.

It seems one of Danny's colleagues is having fun - during he waits for the arrival of the German team... ;)

ankunft-in-brasilien100_v-gseagaleriexl.

ankunft-in-brasilien118_v-gseagaleriexl.

ankunft-in-brasilien106_v-gseagaleriexl.

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius
  • Like 1

To have a World Cup bus in a ferry boat at a magnificent scenario is special!

ankunft-in-brasilien120_v-gseagaleriexl.

"The Mannschaft" on the ferry - there was a little mishap when the bus wanted to get of the ferry - since the weight of the bus it ditched the ferry....

Video of the mishap (I hope it works outside Germany)

ankunft-in-brasilien116_v-gseagaleriexl.

It seems one of Danny's colleagues is having fun - during he waits for the arrival of the German team... ;)

I don't know him personally, since he is based in Rio (Globo HQ is in Rio and I work in Sao Paulo), but he is the boss of Sports department.

Germany is major for Globo coverage this year.

I'm affaid we can't see it... All I got was a sentece with big german words full of consonants and I couldn't copy and paste it to translate... :(

I'm affaid we can't see it... All I got was a sentece with big german words full of consonants and I couldn't copy and paste it to translate... :(

thats really a pity - it shows how the people in the village celebrated - how the German team were brought over the river - and how the coach dipped the ferry with its floor...

I don't know him personally, since he is based in Rio (Globo HQ is in Rio and I work in Sao Paulo), but he is the boss of Sports department.

Germany is major for Globo coverage this year.

Underneath the pic on the website it is mentioned that the "Uniforme alternativo" from the German team is sold out in Rio, due it is quite similar to a local football team of Rio...

• 1 month later...

I guess we never did get around to using National House threads at this World Cup. But now's as good a time as any to resurrect this one.

It just came to me yesterday how this tournament marks the third World Cup I've followed on GamsBids. And how GamesBids really has really made me fan of the WC. I'm still only, I admit, a mere quadrennial football fan, but the four yearly festival is now a personal highlight for me to look forward to.

And a big part of the three World Cups I've celebrated on here has been cheering on Der Mannschaft with fellow Schwarz Rot und Gold fans and friends, especially CAF, Faster and Olympian 2004. I remember the joy my German friends here had in 2006 at home, at being so happy at getting drawn Germany in the 2010 sweep and the bitter sweet meeting between Oz and Germany at Durban (though Brazil's 7-1 humiliation takes the sting now out of that that 4-0 lesson in football), of cheer-squadding PMs in three tournaments between Faster and me as we crossed fingers and followed the progress of the team. Freunde, Mates... it's a buzz Germany's made the big one and it's a thrill I can share the experience with you this year.

Today marks what would have been the 85th birthday of my dear departed, still very strongly missed, Mutti. Now, she would have been thrilled and proud to have seen her beloved Heimatsland Deutschland make the final - though she would have been too nervous and superstitious to watch it. I'd like to think Mum still may be watching down and holding her thumbs as Germany takes the field tomorrow in Rio on her birthday. And hoping she gets a smile and feels the joy if they win through. At the very least, it'll help me feel a bond with her again as I watch the game.

So I guess it's, Viel Gluck everyone, and let's enjoy the ride now, whatever the result ends-up being!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 3

Thanks a lot, Roland, for your very moving and kind words. If I hadn't reached my quota for today yet, I would give you yet another thumbs up for your post.

I must say that I'm heading into this final match day with quite strong emotions myself. Even if Germany has already played the EURO 2008 final in the "Klinsmann/Löw era", this World Cup final (regardless of how it will end for our team) feels like the pinnacle of ten years that have been a blessing for German football, since the first match under Jürgen Klinsmann in that (from a German football perspective) dreadful summer of 2004. No one knew at that stage what was coming, self-esteem was almost at its lowest among the supporters of our national team and the team itself. But during those ten years, Germany has not only staged a World Cup that was highly significant to the self-esteem as a nation and a football country, Germany has also reached the final four of every single World Cup and EURO, starting in 2006. Seeing this extraordinary achievement, it sometimes feels surreal that Jogi Löw has to stand that much criticism here in Germany, even during this World Cup right until the quarterfinal against France.

But while those were triumphant years, they were also characterised by some tragedy, so to speak - namely by Germany losing four times in a row shortly before reaching their greatest goals, the World Cup and EURO titles. Now, the fifth time around, they could do it differently - and I'm modestly confident that they will, even if Argentina has to be taken very serious and could turn the whole match around quickly.

So you can probably imagine how it feels for me and probably many other German supporters to be that close to a major title yet again - and how fearsome I am that our "dream bubbles" might burst yet again. Therefore, I dearly hope, that finally, to finish a great decade for German football, we will be able to celebrate our hearts out, about 18 hours from now.

And while this might sound like a "funeral speech" for Jogi Löw as coach of the national team, I sincerely hope (even if that's not certain) that he will continue his job after today's final, regardless from the outcome. Ten good years down, hopefully several others to go! ;)

• Like 3

I vaguely remember watching some of the game/highlights of France winning in 1998. Didn't really take notice of it until after Sydney 2000 and my increased interest in sports worldwide. I started watching Le Tour and many other things at that time. In all honestly there was never very much football coverage and it was just not a regular thing on Canadian television.

Until 2002. I usually got up around 6am and did homework and got ready for school while watching sports highlights. No highlights that morning, just France vs. Senegal and that first amazing match and upset.

Then Saturday June 1 came. I was up, turned on the television and there was Germany vs. Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia at the time for me being only the place of bin Laden and little else; it was interesting. So I watched, Germany beat the Saudis 8-0 and fell in love with the game and with Germany (it being one of two of my primary ancestries, the other being English, surprise! was only an afterthought). From that match I have watched and followed Germany's progression from 2002 until now.

When I joined Gamesbids the first major event wasn't Athens 2004 but Portugal 2004. Germany's second disaster in the European Championships and a chance for a certain few English fans on here to rub it in to the vocal German supporter that I was. Saying how awful the Bundesliga was and German football. Bring up the 5-1 defeat in Munich in 2001. Where's England now btw? It went from the highs of Germany making the Final in 2002 to the low of Latvia 1 -1 Germany in Portugal. From then I tried to learn as much about German footballing history (the Miracle of Bern, the 1974 tournament, past greats etc.) and started following Bayern Munich, the Bundesliga and the development of Lahm, Schweingsteiger and so many others. 2006 rolled around, I had the two trusty Germans, the grumpy German and Rols to support the team on home soil. I skipped school to watch Germany vs. Costa Rica and watched right up until the end. That lose to Italy was devastating, especially after the near miracle win against Argentina in the quarters. Beating Portugal and finishing on a high note was great.

Looking at the 2008 Euro roaster is amusing. It shows how meaningful the next two years were for German football. German dominance of the European youth championships around 2008-09 combined with a transitioning team and a cashed up Bayern and Bundesliga buying players like Ribery and Robben instead of going to Italy, Spain and England really made a difference. It was an incredibly hopeful and special time leading into 2010.

2010 was an amazing ride and provided the most personally memorable match for me. Ghana-Germany. I was in Vegas, found myself in a crowd of Germans watching the game. They being bemused and puzzled that a Canadian was wearing a German jersey and knew as much about the team as they did or more. It was a great morning and was amazing to be in a large group of Germans that were openly showing pride in being German. The sting of losing to Spain, yet again was the worst part of 2010 and compounded by the lose to Italy in 2012.

Now 2014 is here, Germany is into the final and hopefully it is Philipp Lahm being given the World Cup tomorrow around 5pm my time. For all of Germany, for all Germans around the world and for all the people that have followed the amazing progression of German football these 12 years.

Though I have this horror feeling that Messi gets a hat-trick.

Edited by Faster
  • Like 2