Scotland"s Referendum

I heard it was rigged the vote some people voted more then once in the referenda.

The ten specific cases alleged so far were all in Glasgow, which was one of the few areas to vote for independence.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29264151

The wider allegation of rigged counting was based on a shot of ballot papers in Dundee, which was the only area apart from Glasgow and its suburbs to vote for independence.

www.ibtimes.co.uk/scotland-independence-referendum-videos-claim-vote-definitely-fix

Just got off the wire with a family member in Sheffield. The general feeling 'oop nort' is that even they want a change in government style. Most feel isolated in the far reaches of England and do get annoyed with decisions made way down in "the city" by faceless shirts. Remember that serious talk of Devolution has been going since Harold Wilson was PM. Scotland was and is by far the most enthusiastic of the home countries to push hard for it, more so throughout the 80s and 90s.

At around 55million people, England stands as a colossus over everyone, yet doesn't control it's own affairs, leaving it to Union Westminster and financiers in London City to dictate policy.

If anything that has come from this last incredibly historic 24hours, Scotland may have finally woken up the giant and it will realise "hey what about me?"

This is where Parliament will suddenly realise the daunting task ahead.

Alex Salmond and his supporters failed.

Hopefully, England/Britain leaves the EU.

Totally illogical, Tony. You're glad the Scots are staying in the UK but now want the entire country to leave the EU with all the dangers that will pose for trade and jobs?

You need to broaden your horizons beyond narrow English nationalism. As Rudyard Kipling once put it:

"What do they know of England, who only England know?"

• Like 4

Alex Salmond has fallen on his sword....

He has resigned as First Minister of Scotland and leader of the SNP.

Sort of saw that comming during his speech after the final result was announced.

The Québécois leaders did the same after their failed referendum.

Tony...

You need to broaden your horizons beyond narrow English nationalism. As Rudyard Kipling once put it:

Well said...at least he's topped out for the day.

Have you looked at the political system in the City of London? Dear G-d there is one historically confused mess. The American system is corrupted by money, not by flaws within the system itself.

Bingo

The moment government gets too involved with business, business will start a love affair with government.

I heard it was rigged the vote some people voted more then once in the referenda.

Yeah, I heard from Karl Rove (A very trustworthy source) that was how Romney lost too :rolleyes:

• Like 1

And Rajoy did a speech to congratulate Scotland, of course ¬_¬

http://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20140919/54415201906/rajoy-felicita-escoceses-evitar-graves-consecuencias-independencia.html

Not surprised since he has his own problems now with Catalonia. I'm pro-independence there but i'm afraid that won't win. Not only for people voting for the most convenient but also because neither the Spanish government and the EU will let them do it.

After all, EU doesn't wants to give any of the regions in Europe who want to become their own country as well a reason to separate. They have enough problems with Kosovo.

Totally illogical, Tony. You're glad the Scots are staying in the UK but now want the entire country to leave the EU with all the dangers that will pose for trade and jobs?

It's not nationalism. Fact is, Scotland needs England. The EU shouldn't be controlling England/Britain. We need to leave the EU as soon as possible.

Ironic, considering that's how Bush won too

That is practically how ALL US leaders are elected.

It's not nationalism. Fact is, Scotland needs England. The EU shouldn't be controlling England/Britain. We need to leave the EU as soon as possible.

EU does not control you. Sh*t you guys don't even have the Euro. England just gets open borders and better trade.

no??

the way you phrased that is like, maybe you thought i should have or something? i can only just keep apace with the political system of LOS ANGELES.

More of a challenge to look it up. There is a good video about it on the CGP Grey youtube channel.

The Québécois leaders did the same after their failed referendum.

He also made some comments that caused an uproar, saying the Anglos and ethnics cost him the referendum.

EU does not control you. Sh*t you guys don't even have the Euro. England just gets open borders and better trade.

Depends on what you mean by open borders. As in a the free movement of labour, yes but as in no border controls, no.

EU controls who comes into the Country. Like I said, immigration is healthy. I have no problem with immigration, as long as it's controlled.

Anyway, Political Discussions just cause arguments, so let's just drop it. I'm not nationalistic, I'm not a snob and I am sorry if I offended anybody. Let's move on.

Anyway, Political Discussions just cause arguments, so let's just drop it. I'm not nationalistic, I'm not a snob and I am sorry if I offended anybody. Let's move on.

You don't get to make political statements, then try and shut down the conversation because people are challenging your poorly thought out beliefs.

So no more political posts from you, agreed?

• Like 2

EU controls who comes into the Country.

You really believe that crap, no?

Your country is not even part of Schengen, which probably is closest to EU's possibilities to control who comes into any country.

The UK border police (whatever official name it has) is who controls who comes into your country.

And shock horror, the EU freedom of movement for Polish plumbers looking for work in the UK is the same as for UK pensioners retiring in Spain.

• Like 1

EU controls who comes into the Country. Like I said, immigration is healthy. I have no problem with immigration, as long as it's controlled.

I could probably find about five comments you have made in the past that would disprove this statement.

What I really love about this comment is how you tell us all to drop political discussions (mind you on a very political thread) and end it with your signature "Let's move on".

And shock horror, the EU freedom of movement for Polish plumbers looking for work in the UK is the same as for UK pensioners retiring in Spain.

The difference is that the former provide wage competition for people in the UK while the latter don't for Spaniards. That doesn't mean freedom of movement is wrong. But if you are an English plumber you can't be happy about Polish laborers either taking your job or reducing your income.

Isn't competition a main driving force of economy? And after all, it's mostly English people in England who might prefer Polish plumbers over English ones.

You can say the same thing about Americans choosing to buy cheap Chinese manufactured goods over American made goods. Yet that doesn't stop people in the American manufacturing industry from wanting to close off trade with China since its killing off their jobs. I should know: before I went to university I had one of those manufacturing jobs and now work for less money for the government despite going into debt to obtain a Master's degree.

I'm not saying freedom of movement (or trade) is necessarily bad, but it's inevitable that the working class will hate immigrants providing wage competition. Which, IMO is where a lot of the current racism in Europe is coming from.