Scotland"s Referendum

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC have given up waiting for Edinburgh and the last handfull of councils to declare and given NO a victory of 55%.

Union is safe but change is on the way no matter what...Devolution very much to the fore.

Now it's England's turn for forcing change for it's voice including closing down the House of Lords and create an upper house in a Federal Parliament in real devolved power sharing.

Edinburgh in. Resounding NO.

I think this may turn out like this famous scene from US History

Truman+newspaper_1948.jpg

I stand corrected

Now it's England's turn for forcing change for it's voice including closing down the House of Lords and create an upper house in a Federal Parliament in real devolved power sharing.

Edinburgh in. Resounding NO.

Argyle and Bute in with a resounding NO.

I am very disappointed with the result, but that is democracy for you and I accept the result.

Fantastic that people actually went out to vote - i think that is the real winner of the night.

I am still a nationalist, and hope that one day Scotland will become an independent state, but for the moment i respect the decision of the people.

I hope this now spurns real change for the whole of the UK, abolishing the House of Lords, devolving more power to the 4 UK counties and i hope that the UK votes to stay in the European Union.

I am very disappointed with the result, but that is democracy for you and I accept the result.

Fantastic that people actually went out to vote - i think that is the real winner of the night.

I am still a nationalist, and hope that one day Scotland will become an independent state, but for the moment i respect the decision of the people.

I hope this now spurns real change for the whole of the UK, abolishing the House of Lords, devolving more power to the 4 UK counties and i hope that the UK votes to stay in the European Union.

It looks like the UK will devolve into a more democratic Federation in time. Giving all four countries control of their own affairs. I actually thought it would be closer.

Anyway it's NZs turn to vote tomorrow in it's general election...looks like a no change close call as well.

It looks like the UK will devolve into a more democratic Federation in time. Giving all four countries control of their own affairs. I actually thought it would be closer.

Anyway it's NZs turn to vote tomorrow in it's general election...looks like a no change close call as well.

That is a problem in itself. Once you start devolving and becoming a federated state, especially one where their is animosity towards each other, you ultimately get into a situation where a divorce becomes inevitable as each entity has less and less to do with each other. Federations only work when a national identity is strong enough to override regional identities like Switzerland or Germany. I can imagine this line of thinking is the reason France remains a unitary state to undermine resurgences in Breton and Basque aspirations.

Maybe a republic? It's not perfect here in the states, but it seems like the best way too keep the union together at this point.

Maybe a republic? It's not perfect here in the states, but it seems like the best way too keep the union together at this point.

Never a republic...unless the monarchy is thrown out. It is the keystone to the Kingdom and works well. A United Federation of the self governing countries would work with the Queen as head of state and a federal Westminster government (like Australia as an example.)

I agree - The majority voted "Yes" in Scotland, but the result shows too that there is something wrong in the political structure of the United Kingdom

I agree - The majority voted "Yes" in Scotland, but the result shows too that there is something wrong in the political structure of the United Kingdom

Definitely a "No" and a very high vote count with 97% registration and an average of 80% of those eligible votes cast.

The biggest letdown has to be Glasgow and it's terrible voter turnout...Although a "Yes" result, simply not enough to sway the national total vote towards Yes. They needed at least 66% in favour, they only got 54%.

Still, change is on the way....

Personally I'm glad the UK is still the UK I know...But I still would've accepted an Independent Scotland as well.

what is wrong with the house of lords, i thought it was reformed 15 years ago?

and don't tell me the lords are life peerages and that it's an old boys club. i know WHAT it is, i'm asking what's wrong with it. i always thought the british electoral/governmental system had a lot going for it. it's an absolute mess in most places around the world. apart from scandanavia, which is a somewhat scaled down model, any country in the world would be lucky to have it.

(especially my country. egads. did you know corporations are considered people?)

That is a problem in itself. Once you start devolving and becoming a federated state, especially one where their is animosity towards each other, you ultimately get into a situation where a divorce becomes inevitable as each entity has less and less to do with each other. Federations only work when a national identity is strong enough to override regional identities like Switzerland or Germany. I can imagine this line of thinking is the reason France remains a unitary state to undermine resurgences in Breton and Basque aspirations.

Well, Germany has a long tradition in federations, but also into its regional structure. When you take a look into the history of the British Isles you will see that the kings/queens of the different kingdoms strove to rule over all the other kingdoms - that doesn't lead into a real Union...

In history the fight about power wasn't very peacefully - e.g. Cromwell is seen as 'devil' in Ireland (except the ultra Protestants in Northern Ireland), but his statue stands in front of the British parliament - that this adds fuel into the fire isn't astonishing. That was an example between Ireland and England, but such examples are easy to find between Scotland and England. Such discrepancies are in Germany too - Gustav Adolf from Sweden is the hero in Northern Germany, but the devil in Southern Germany - with Wallenstein and Tilly it is exactly the other way round. Germany federal structure is politically balanced in the UK it seems that this is not the case the number of yes votes are much to high for that

what is wrong with the house of lords, i thought it was reformed 15 years ago?

and don't tell me the lords are life peerages and that it's an old boys club. i know WHAT it is, i'm asking what's wrong with it. i always thought the british electoral/governmental system had a lot going for it. it's an absolute mess in most places around the world. apart from scandanavia, which is a somewhat scaled down model, any country in the world would be lucky to have it.

(especially my country. egads. did you know corporations are considered people?)

Have you looked at the political system in the City of London? Dear G-d there is one historically confused mess. The American system is corrupted by money, not by flaws within the system itself.

Personally I'm glad the UK is still the UK I know...But I still would've accepted an Independent Scotland as well.

I agree again - if the majority had been "yes" the process would have been very difficult and I am not sure if this would have resulted into an independent Scotland

I agree again - if the majority had been "yes" the process would have been very difficult and I am not sure if this would have resulted into an independent Scotland

The process is going to be very difficult anyway, given the proposals for UK-wide constitutional changes within the original independence timetable !

I seriously do not think that they will happen. Tory backbenches are already saying that they will not vote for them. pLus give it a few weeks and it will be business as normal, or something else will come up that will take the spotlight away from more powers. Plus a Tory/Ukip coalition next year is very real plus the Uk leaving the EU

I seriously do not think that they will happen. Tory backbenches are already saying that they will not vote for them. pLus give it a few weeks and it will be business as normal, or something else will come up that will take the spotlight away from more powers. Plus a Tory/Ukip coalition next year is very real plus the Uk leaving the EU

Alex Salmond and his supporters failed.

Hopefully, England/Britain leaves the EU.

Archived