Scotland"s Referendum

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a few of my thoughts about this whole thing:

- It has been a frustratingly long campaign, even more frustrating due to the Westminster parliamentary models short election process

- The nationalistic fervor of this is rather unsettling in a country (the UK as a whole) that is not as rigidly dogmatic in its approach to belonging as say France or a region like Quebec. It seems very alienating to the non-Scots living in Scotland.

- This is another example of where middle, moderate thinking is the best approach as the Yes campaign is all pie-in-the-sky this is going to be roses, while the no campaign is going all you'll be the next South Sudan

- I do believe that some of the predictions of immediate, sharp economic troubles will come true if there is a Yes vote. Is there any room for a sober second thought if sh!t really starts hitting the fan?

- I doubt it, given opinions in England and even Wales seem to be hardening against any forms of concession.

- How the SNP cannot see that having a currency not controlled from Edinburgh is desirable after what the Euro did to Ireland is unthinkable to me.

- As Rob and arwebb have pointed out, this really highlights the lack of political institutions in England for the English solely.

- The British governments failure to not ready plans for a potential yes vote is mindbogglingly stupid, especially given the British government has said that they did look to the Quebec referendum

Just a few of my thoughts about this whole thing:

- It has been a frustratingly long campaign, even more frustrating due to the Westminster parliamentary models short election process

- The nationalistic fervor of this is rather unsettling in a country (the UK as a whole) that is not as rigidly dogmatic in its approach to belonging as say France or a region like Quebec. It seems very alienating to the non-Scots living in Scotland.

- This is another example of where middle, moderate thinking is the best approach as the Yes campaign is all pie-in-the-sky this is going to be roses, while the no campaign is going all you'll be the next South Sudan

- I do believe that some of the predictions of immediate, sharp economic troubles will come true if there is a Yes vote. Is there any room for a sober second thought if sh!t really starts hitting the fan?

- I doubt it, given opinions in England and even Wales seem to be hardening against any forms of concession.

- How the SNP cannot see that having a currency not controlled from Edinburgh is desirable after what the Euro did to Ireland is unthinkable to me.

- As Rob and arwebb have pointed out, this really highlights the lack of political institutions in England for the English solely.

- The British governments failure to not ready plans for a potential yes vote is mindbogglingly stupid, especially given the British government has said that they did look to the Quebec referendum

faster, the only real question is should i bet on yes, bc i found odds where i can win 1,000 pounds. i'm leaning toward no.

^^Cameron must be regretting having legalized this referendum. I think he did a huge mistake by underestimating Scotland and thought they would most likely vote to stay in the Union. Either way at this pace he will be known as the PM who couldn't prevent the loss of Scotland. Same for Liz. Totally not the best way to end her reign.

I know this is unrelated but an eventual Scottish independence could give inspiration to Catalonians in Spain for their own referendum (which was sadly ilegalized by the fake democracy they have in). But if it fails, catalonian politicians might end up saying it has nothing to do XD

Specifically English institutions aren't really needed, though, since the UK is a unitary state and not a federal state like Germany or the USA. An English parliament wouldn't have many powers.

Double negatives aside, I agree 100%. If everything goes well, Scotland will be alright. If there are economic problems resulting from the transition, though, the Euro will make things worse rather than better since Scotland won't have direct control over its currency and trade and thus won't be able to make currency adjustments to correct any difficulties encountered.

This referendum is about nationalism and pride rather than the economic and political needs of Scots.

Being an independent nation isn't all it's cracked up to be. Look at Puerto Rico, enjoying unprecedented prosperity in its Commonwealth status, yet don't do the heavy lifting of an indie (and just leave that to the Big Mudda, USA). But they have their own NOC and most important, their OWN contestants for the Miss Universe and Miss INTERNATIONAL contests! I mean, Scotland should get its priorities in order!!

^^ Well the sad truth is that they are not doing very well, economically wise, and the independence might put them in a more serious situation. Then again, Ireland was also in a bad condition initially then they progressed and became known as the Celtic Tiger (until the European crisis hit them and were left in debt again).

However, if that's the will of the people, why should it be prevented? Let them become independent if they wish.

Scotland shouldn't be allowed to use the Pound if they get independence.

They will probably go for the Euro, which will leave them bust like Greece.

Scotland shouldn't be allowed to use the Pound if they get independence.

They will probably go for the Euro, which will leave them bust like Greece.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to use the pound. Who says the English have a monopoly on the currency?

Don't forget, the Bank of England was founded by a Scotsman!

Why shouldn't they be allowed to use the pound. Who says the English have a monopoly on the currency?

A country can make use of another country's currency, but they can't print it or adjust its value. Moreover some members of the SNP want to have their cake and eat it too by asking the Bank of England to underwrite Scottish banks. Obviously that's never going to happen.

Beyond the practical problems with continuing with the pound, using it undermines the whole argument in favor of independence. If Scotland is ready to separate from the UK, why would it continue using its currency? The fact that even the SNP isn't prepared to fully cut the cord with England shows how dependent Scotland's economy is on its relationship with the UK as a whole.

Was watching Goal Zone on NBCSN and Rebecca Lowe brought in the Men in Blazers and she said Boys How much did you miss the Premier League during the international break. They responded with O Rebecca we missed it as much as England will miss Scotland. They are so funny

Don't forget, the Bank of England was founded by a Scotsman!

Scotland can certainly use a currency called "The Pound", in the same way that Australia uses a currency called "The Dollar", but probably not in the same way that Ireland uses a currency called "The Euro".

One country can use another country's currency as their own. There are economic ramifications of doing so, but they can certainlly do it. They can also issue their own currency at a fixed exchange rate to another country's currency. Again, there are economic ramifications, but not legal restrictions.

If you want a quirky example, residents of BVI are British citizens, but have the US Dollar as their official currency.

The big problem for Scotland with either scheme is that they would need a whole bunch of pounds to start with. Where exactly would they get them?

One country can use another country's currency as their own. There are economic ramifications of doing so, but they can certainlly do it. They can also issue their own currency at a fixed exchange rate to another country's currency. Again, there are economic ramifications, but not legal restrictions.

If you want a quirky example, residents of BVI are British citizens, but have the US Dollar as their official currency.

The big problem for Scotland with either scheme is that they would need a whole bunch of pounds to start with. Where exactly would they get them?

I'm not sure this is the same thing, but the US dollar is accepted nearly everywhere in Canada.

US Dollar is the currency used in Ecuador and the Euro is being used in Montenegro to give a couple examples.

The US Dollar is used as a primary currency in much of Central America and the Caribbean. I believe it is also widely used in Zimbabwe as well. Kosovo also uses the Euro.

Ofan, not sure if that is accurate. Outside of boarder towns like Windsor and Niagara Falls I only notice American being accepted at QSR and QCR businesses.

It's up to the Scots to decide but I hope they don't vote for independence because it could trigger a wave of separatist movement elsewhere. If those went through everywhere Europe would soon consist of 500 Andorras and I don't think that's what is needed. Wonder how much of this recent rise of nationalist agendas has to do with the incompetent, faceless and aimless EU decision making leading to a will of taking the matters into own hands at local level?

Archived