Scotland"s Referendum

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been suggested that, at the very least Spain (mindful of its own small nations itching for independence) will try to veto a Scottish application for EU membership.

To be picky, Spain can't really "veto" Scotland from joining the EU. That siad, Scotland would presumably be looking for is a fast-track to membership. Spain could stop that.

Fact is, the rest of the UK needs England. It's a fact that Economically, Politically and Socially, England is the strength of the UK.

It's exactly this attitude that has the yes vote skyrocketing. Is England bigger than the other home nations? Sure. But when you imply that they need England, but not vice versa, you just piss people off.

It's exactly this attitude that has the yes vote skyrocketing. Is England bigger than the other home nations? Sure. But when you imply that they need England, but not vice versa, you just piss people off.

It's a fact, Economically, Politically and Socially, England is the strength in the UK, in fact, London is the strength of the UK.

Scotland got the oil no wonder why England is scared losing the oil money I think that Scotland will do better as an independent country then apart of the United Kingdom.

Please be quiet. You have no knowledge on this argument. Scotland needs England. England doesn't need Scotland. Fact.

It's a fact, Economically, Politically and Socially, England is the strength in the UK, in fact, London is the strength of the UK.

Scotland needs England. England doesn't need Scotland. Fact.

The first part is fact. England is the largest part of the UK economy. But that doesn't lead to the second part. Just because England is bigger, doesn't mean that Scotland needs England, but not vice versa. That second part is just arrogance... the kind that pisses off the Scots.

The first part is fact. England is the largest part of the UK economy. But that doesn't lead to the second part. Just because England is bigger, doesn't mean that Scotland needs England, but not vice versa. That second part is just arrogance... the kind that pisses off the Scots.

Don't even get me started on Worldwide arrogance.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree before another flame war starts.

To be picky, Spain can't really "veto" Scotland from joining the EU. That siad, Scotland would presumably be looking for is a fast-track to membership. Spain could stop that.

Actually yes Spain can. Any one of the 28 other EU members can veto a membership application because all 29 EU members must support the application either through a referendum or vote in the chambers of government. It is why Croatia had to wait until July to ascend to membership despite being better in almost every category than Romania and Bulgaria who joined in 2007. Britain constantly threatened to veto their membership over Ante Gotovina.

Actually yes Spain can. Any one of the 28 other EU members can veto a membership application because all 29 EU members must support the application either through a referendum or vote in the chambers of government. It is why Croatia had to wait until July to ascend to membership despite being better in almost every category than Romania and Bulgaria who joined in 2007. Britain constantly threatened to veto their membership over Ante Gotovina.

And it's why talk of any Turkish membership would be theoretical anyway (regardless of the recent backturn on the EU by Erdogan) as long as Cyprus is there to veto it. It's 28 members, btw, not 29.

Wish the vote would just happen, this has been going on longer than a US presidential election.

I hope they go for it so they can celebrate their good times and have responsibility for the bad times.

With regards to the oil that Scotland will or will not take possession of, my understanding is its running out, and its running out fast.

My biggest concern is if they vote yes, its gonna be a really, really messy divorce.

And Tony, we both do better together, neither needs the other and can do without the other, but we do better together. Thats the fact

Wish the vote would just happen, this has been going on longer than a US presidential election.

I hope they go for it so they can celebrate their good times and have responsibility for the bad times.

With regards to the oil that Scotland will or will not take possession of, my understanding is its running out, and its running out fast.

My biggest concern is if they vote yes, its gonna be a really, really messy divorce.

And Tony, we both do better together, neither needs the other and can do without the other, but we do better together. Thats the fact

England is the strength of the UK. England can survive on it's own, I know this for sure. Like I said to Zeke, lets agree to disagree before a flame war starts.

England is the strength of the UK. England can survive on it's own, I know this for sure. Like I said to Zeke, lets agree to disagree before a flame war starts.

:angry: ...well stop mentioning it!

The oil money more or less covers the extra public spending Scotland gets which it will lose on becoming independent. In other words, they can sustain current levels of spending, but only with the oil money filling that gap. Any extra spending will have to be financed by tax rises or extra borrowing.

The funny thing is the SNP are promising more spending with tax cuts (including cuts in corporation tax), and on top of that a sovereign oil fund like Norway's. It's madey-uppy economics.

Good luck to Scotland if it votes YES, but I don't want our economy formally tied to theirs via the pooled sovereignty of a currency union. If they vote YES, they can go their own way and forge their own path, as those at the top of Holyrood have always wanted.

For me the discussion about the Scottish referendum is very interesting - and I can understand the emotion in it...

I wonder what impact a "yes" would have on Catalonia, North Italy or Bavaria - another thing which is interesting that the "no" supporters nearly use the same reasons which will be used for a "yes" campaign in an UK referendum about to stay in the EU...

I wonder what impact a "yes" would have on Catalonia, North Italy or Bavaria - another thing which is interesting that the "no" supporters nearly use the same reasons for a "yes" campaign in an UK referendum about to stay in the EU...

Yeah, I mentioned that in the "EU sans UK" thread some days ago - quite a schizophrenuc situation if I were a Tory, especially.

I don't think a Scottish Yes would fuel similar activities in Bavaria. CSU has done a great job at marginalising Bayernpartei in the past few decades, the only ones advocating Bavarian independence. And the CSU are loonies, certainly moving themselves into a dead end with the "Maut" now, but they'd stay clear of going SNP, I think.

Archived