Yes! Awesome work by a bunch of Aussies last night! I was genuinely starting to get concerned we'd fall to 3rd place because Canada was something like only 7 golds behind us!

I don't find it that shocking that we did lose to England. Lots of credit goes to them for building upon their home olympic success, I think 2018 will be interesting seeing as it will be back home.

I don't find it that shocking that we did lose to England. Lots of credit goes to them for building upon their home olympic success, I think 2018 will be interesting seeing as it will be back home.

It's going to make the medal chase an exciting one. They'll sure be hyping up the battle for the Ashes ahead of it.

• Like 1

I guess England is building upon 2012 but idk...

2012 did allow for a funding boost for Team GB, but really the catalyst for the success we've had recently has its roots in the aftermath of Atlanta, when Britain had a horrible Games and it was decided a percentage of the recently launched National Lottery's takings should go to elite sport. The majority of Team GB's funding now comes from the lottery (over 60%). We've found something of a middle-way between China's state-sponsored programmes and the US' commercially driven ones.

What I'm saying is, it isn't like we've had a one-off funding boost in the run-up to 2012 and we're still seeing the afterglow of that in Glasgow. All of what we see now is actually the result of a decision made two decades ago to fund our athletes properly. That foundation isn't suddenly going to dissepear now London 2012 is a memory.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/jul/24/london-2012-team-gb-atlanta

• Like 1

Not the foundation but the extra support. Britain won't be able to maintain their current performance. There will be a let-down in Rio. Only two countries have parlayed hosting into continued success during the modern age. Sport is just becoming more and more competitive. Plus you have to admit that Britain has had a golden age of athletes in a number of sports that the next generation won't be able to match.

:huh::) Gold medal to the NSW Warratahs! Super Rugby Champions 2014...

For the first time, in another cliffhanger match against the Canterbury Crusaders, tonight out at Stadium Australia.

Final score 33 - 32

Edited by Alexjc#TeamKey

I don't really know where to put this but I was watching the main Games feed and they were showing netball. Now I don't like basketball at all but I look at netball and am completely dafauq?

What a nail-biter for the hockey gold! Oz equalises in the final minute, then win the penalty shoutout. Ouch for England, good on you Aussie girls.

Kind of happy with that result...England did it to NZ in the semi's.

Very impressed with Australia's response to its 'dethrowning' from the Number 1 position.... we have shown (some uncharacteristic) class in acknowledging the great efforts of the British Teams, and have chosen not to bash our own athletes, who have actually performed incredibly well.

Interesting, if you change the medal table to reflect the 2018 sports (no judo, basketball) Australia and England have 51 Golds each I think..... should be tight in 4 years time!

That should be 'dethroning'....... oops

Very impressed with Australia's response to its 'dethrowning' from the Number 1 position.... we have shown (some uncharacteristic) class in acknowledging the great efforts of the British Teams, and have chosen not to bash our own athletes, who have actually performed incredibly well.

Interesting, if you change the medal table to reflect the 2018 sports (no judo, basketball) Australia and England have 51 Golds each I think..... should be tight in 4 years time!

sorry 'dethroning'...