Will the Missile fire or fizzle?

Will the Poms put us in our place?

Well, we had to have the Team Oz thread!

I was gonna post the launch of the team uniforms in the Glasgow news thread, but figured it was about time, and a good excuse, to get this one going.

Go the Green and Gold!

Australian Commonwealth Games team formal uniform unveiled for Glasgow 2014

5500330-3x2-700x467.jpg

When Australia's sporting men and women stride into Glasgow's Celtic Park stadium for the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony next month, there will be nary a blazer in sight.

About 500 Australian athletes will compete in this year's Games and off the field they will be clad in a range of smart casual wear that looks decidedly nautical.

Fitting perhaps for the Scottish Isles.

The jacket is a green-and-gold zip-up number, sporting wide lapels and buttons for a smarter look, plus a hood for the "mild" Glasgow summers.

It is paired with white dress-shirts and an optional tie, while grey chino pants or green skirts make up the bottoms.

Swimmer Mack Horton rated the outfit's comfort highly.

"You can wear them all day long, it'll be nice and easy to walk around the village in," he said.

The range was designed and manufactured by Bendigo-based Australian Defence Apparel.

It also includes woollen jumpers and scarves emblazoned with the team crest.

Netballer Bianca Chatfield says they will earn the approval of Australia's fashion-conscious athletes.

"I can imagine all the netball girls absolutely loving the fact that we can pick and chose different pieces to put together," she said.

"It's great, it's exciting it means we're getting really close now."

The Glasgow Commonwealth Games start on July 23.

ABC

The launch took place in Glasgow Street, Collingwood, Melbourne.

Looks like they have high expectations of the Scottish summer:

100978-81a85c0c-eb9c-11e3-873b-5e8c286cc

098814-75e610d0-eb9c-11e3-873b-5e8c286cc

098595-6ed9ea3c-eb9c-11e3-873b-5e8c286cc

I don't mind the knitted sweaters - its just that bizarre flappy jacket that is repulsive.

Our Delhi 2010 uniform was pretty rank - but I loved our Melbourne 2006 uniform, which was inspired by Australia's 1956 uniform. The Olympic team did the post-war uniform too at London 2012, which like 2006 was supposed to hark back to Australia's London 1948 uniform.

I wonder if Australia will go all 60s mod at Tokyo 2020 as an ode to 64?

I don't mind the knitted sweaters - its just that bizarre flappy jacket that is repulsive.

Our Delhi 2010 uniform was pretty rank - but I loved our Melbourne 2006 uniform, which was inspired by Australia's 1956 uniform. The Olympic team did the post-war uniform too at London 2012, which like 2006 was supposed to hark back to Australia's London 1948 uniform.

I wonder if Australia will go all 60s mod at Tokyo 2020 as an ode to 64?

Have you noticed uniforms all round the Commonwealth seem to become more "relaxed" over time? In the end it's what's wearing them that matters!

Have a lack of confidence in the missile. Interesting to see the medal tally at the end of the games. England did pretty well in the Olympics (some may say it was because they hosted, others might say they have invested more in their sport). We are going to be down a few successful past Aussies but yes will be interesting to watch!

Have a lack of confidence in the missile. Interesting to see the medal tally at the end of the games. England did pretty well in the Olympics (some may say it was because they hosted, others might say they have invested more in their sport). We are going to be down a few successful past Aussies but yes will be interesting to watch!

It's always a skewed medal telly as the UK breaks up for a Commi...The "Team GB" total will ahow a different story.

Australia will go all out as they are next host nation hence the monstrous team.

• 1 month later...

This is a bit old, but to make Scots feel better about their uniform:

Australia's Commonwealth Games swimming uniforms criticised by fashion experts

1404430855245.jpg-620x349.jpg

Australia's Commonwealth Games swim team revealed their new uniforms to concerns the kit draws attention to exactly the wrong area: the athletes' crotches.

Designed by Speedo, the women's one-piece cossie and towel feature haphazardly overlapping yellow and green kangaroos, emus and maps of Australia.

There are also green and black wetsuits, sleeveless for women and long shorts for men. The suits appear to have extra material or stitching in a broad triangle around the crotch area.

Brisbane-based stylist Di Cant told The Scotsman the kit was terribly obvious, but her problem was the awkward looking wetsuits that drew "the eye to the wrong place".

“My main issue is with the green and black suits and the emphasis on the crotch,” Ms Cant said. “The shaping in the crotch and with the black leg, something is not quite flattering. It is drawing the eye to the wrong place, rather than to the athletic body and the overall look.”

Mark Ferguson, director of Australian men’s tailoring firm Wil Valor, agreed with Ms Cant. He told the Scottish newspaper the designers had tried to be different and it had not paid off.

The green and gold suits have been criticised by editor-in-chief of Scottish fashion site Crave. Ruth Walker told The Scotsman. She said the design flattens the chest and draws more attention to the swimmers' broad shoulders.

"I’d prefer to see the legs cut higher and more substantial straps – those skinny things say ‘beach’ not ‘world-beating athlete’ to me. But that retro print – I rather like it.”

Ms Walker described the criticism as a "stooshie over nothing", explaining the point of this kind of swimwear was to enable speed rather than reach for aesthetic perfection.

Brisbane Times

Oi, Bruce! Some corker news:

Anna Meares named as Australian flag bearer for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony

1405977680882.jpg-620x349.jpg

Glasgow: Champion cyclist Anna Meares has been unveiled as Australia's flag bearer for the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

Meares was announced by chef de mission Steve Moneghetti in the role at the Team Australia reception at the village Kelvingrove Museum on Monday, edging out contenders Sally Pearson and Michael Diamond.

This Games is Meares's fourth, and should she win a medal in the 500m time trial and the track sprint she will surpass Kathy Watt as Australia's most successful female Commonwealth Games cyclist.

Meares has won four gold medals, one silver and one bronze in her Commonwealth Games portfolio, compared to Watt who finished her illustrious career with four gold, two silver and a bronze.

The 30-year-old is the current world-record holder in the 500m time trial - the first woman to go sub-33 seconds - and will start as firm favourite for the event in Glasgow.

Meares says it was an honour to be considered to lead Australia into the opening ceremony on Wednesday at Celtic Park.

Meares started competitive cycling aged 11, following in the footsteps of older sister, Kerrie Meares. In 2008 Meares suffered a potentially critical injury while racing, fracturing the C2 vertebra in her neck.

She performed a remarkable recovery to make it to the Beijing Olympics just seven months later where she won a silver medal in the sprint.

Meares is the reigning Olympic champion in the sprint and also won gold in the 500m time trial back at the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

Sydney Morning Herald

It's always a skewed medal telly as the UK breaks up for a Commi...The "Team GB" total will ahow a different story.

Australia will go all out as they are next host nation hence the monstrous team.

Thing is it also gives the British teams a much greater chance of medaling with 8+ British athletes in an event.

Well, the swimmer behaved themselves this time. ;)

But it's all on now for the rest of the team...

Athletics Australia suspends head coach Eric Hollingsworth indefinitely over criticism of team captain Sally Pearson

Athletics Australia (AA) has suspended head coach Eric Hollingsworth after he took a swipe at Olympic gold medallist and team captain Sally Pearson.

Hollingsworth was scathing in his criticism of Pearson for her failure to make an appearance at the team's pre-Commonwealth Games camp, saying her absence set a bad example for the rest of the team.

"Sally was coming all along until the last minute when she opted to take a race in London," Hollingsworth said in a statement.

"What's lost here is she's the team captain and there's a reasonable expectation she'd be in the camp ahead of something as major as the Commonwealth Games. Her no-show sets a bad example to the entire national team."

But AA distanced itself from the criticism on Thursday morning (AEST), condemning Hollingsworth for making a statement of this nature, particularly when he should be focusing on supporting the athletes.

"He acted without the authority of Athletics Australia and in contravention of the specific instructions of the chief executive officer," a statement read.

"Athletics Australia condemns in the strongest terms his disparaging comments about Sally Pearson and his timing."

Hollingsworth will remain suspended "until such time as the Athletics Australia board can convene to consider the matter".

AA president David Grace QC told media in Glasgow the AA board was deeply shocked and upset by Hollingsworth's comments and felt they had no alternative but to suspend him from his position as head coach.

"We had discussed his complaints with him and had directed him not to comment to the media," Grace said.

"We would discuss his complaints with him at a later time after the Games concluded.

"Our primary focus, as you would expect, is ensuring that the environment that our athletes have is the optimum environment to focus on the competition.

"We don't need these distractions and the athletes don't need these distractions, and it is very unfortunate that it has happened."

"We believe he may have breached his contract with Athletics Australia. We have taken the view that his position as head coach of Athletics Australia is untenable, and we believe we had no option but to suspend his employment until we return to Australia and conduct a full review."

Yahoo7

and

Australian weightlifter Francois Etoundi arrested in Commonwealth Games athletes’ village, charged with assault

AUSTRALIAN weightlifting bronze-medallist Francois Etoundi is believed to have been arrested and charged with an assault relating to an incident at the Commonwealth Games village in Glasgow on Wednesday morning.

In a major blow to an Australian Commonwealth Games team already reeling from a crisis within their athletic ranks, News Corp Australia has been informed Etoundi is the Australian athlete who was arrested at the athletes’ village at 6am on Wednesday morning.

Australian team chef de mission Steve Moneghetti was locked in talks with team officials on varying issues that have rocked the team on Wednesday and will not be available for comment until Thursday morning (Glasgow time).

Team officials would not comment on the incident or identity of the athlete when approached by News Corp Australia.

Police Scotland said officers were called to the site about 6am on Wednesday (local time).

“Around 6am on Wednesday police received a report of a disturbance. A 30-year-old man (sic) is currently detained,” it said in a statement.

Etoundi is due to appear in Glasgow Sheriffs Court on Thursday.

Etoundi, who was born in Cameroon but lives in Victoria, is competing at his third Games here in Glasgow and won his first Commonwealth medal in the 77kg class last Sunday.

It was an emotional moment for the 29-year-old after he had injured his bicep in the warm-up at the Delhi Games four years ago and had to battle to overcome calf problems before competing here in Scotland.

“I won for Australia but my father is here tonight, so I have a little thought of Cameroon too,” he said at the time.

“I ripped my bicep just before the competition in Delhi in 2010 but that’s behind me now and I’m happy with the bronze tonight.

“My training hasn’t been great, I’ve had pain in my legs.”

He had previously spoken about his desire to go to the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, with qualification to take place in Kazakhstan at the world titles in November.

“I want to go to the Olympics and represent Australia, it is my ambition,” he said.

“I just want to make sure I stay fit and clear of injuries.”

News.com.au

Oh, yeah, and the Poms are ahead on the tally now.

Way to go, guys!

Couldn't care less about that Aussie coach. Channel 10 devoted 2 hours of crap to it last night and they knew nothing.

And yeah, looking like we won't top the medal tally for the first time since 1986. :/

I guess England is building upon 2012 but idk, Australia is declining and we need to find a new sport. Sure we may still dominate in swimming for the Comm games but England is on the rise as is China, France and of course the USA in the Olympics.

What to do :/

Interesting backgrounder from the SMH on the Pearson-Hollingworth feud: Sally Pearson and Eric Hollingworth: Where it broke down

Sounds like he was utterly detested by the majority of the team, anyway. He knew his time was up and anted to go out with a bang.

Oh well, I guess it's fitting. If we're gonna collapse and finish behind the Poms, might as well do it in style. The swimmers left Glasgow all too soon.

Wouldn't get wound up over England topping out the table...The next CWGs are where?

That doesn't mean anything- this result is the combination of huge investment in Team GB and it's nations, met with the relative withdrawal of funds Australian athletes have received since Sydney 2000. Basically the non-Sydney 2000 generation didn't get the same level of support. The rest of the world got better.

However honestly, I'm surprised that we're not topping the table, not out of arrogance, but in really did think that the fracturing of Team GB wouldn't allow it- even looking at the Delhi 2010 result there was no indication Australia would underperform to such an astonishing degree. Melbourne 2006 a 80+golds, Glasgow 2014-- barely 40.

Well done England- well deserved and certainly a much more exciting event as a result.

It's cyclic, the strength will come back...Just gotta get the parents to unplug the kids games consoles...and boot them out into the back yard for a couple of hours every day.

Nice to wake up to some news I'm really happy about - Matt Mitcham winning Gold, finally, to add to his Oly golds. Onya Matt!

And now Sally delivers in the hurdles - nice to see that live.

Oh, didn't know that. Just noticed for the first time Sally has a tongue piercing.

Archived