Spain king: Juan Carlos signs his abdication

_75623754_king.jpg
Juan Carlos's reign will end at midnight in Spain and Felipe will be proclaimed king on Thursday

The reign of King Juan Carlos of Spain is in its final hours after he signed the bill formally abdicating in favour of his son, Prince Felipe.

Juan Carlos, 76, signed the bill at a ceremony in the Royal Palace in Madrid, which was attended by only 160 guests.

At midnight local time (22:00 GMT), Felipe, 46, will become king although the event will not be marked in public until Thursday morning.

The succession was endorsed by both of Spain's main political parties.

Before the signing, Juan Carlos sat with Queen Sofia to his right and Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia to his left as the content of the law was read out.

After Juan Carlos had signed the document that will end his rule, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy also signed the law. Moments later, the assembled guests applauded, the prince's two daughters joined the royal group and the national anthem was played.

Felipe will head to the lower house of the Spanish parliament on Thursday for the first royal transition the country has seen since democracy was restored after the death of Gen Francisco Franco in 1975.

The ceremony will take the form of a proclamation rather than a coronation, in part because of the economic hardship that many Spaniards have experienced in recent years.

BBC

In some minutes the abdication law will be published, making Felipe the new king. However the proclamation ceremony remains to be done tomorrow, which will be done in a very solemn but austere way. Pretty much like the proclamation of the belgian king last year.

The dutch could do a bombastic show for the coronation of Willem Alexander last year, though. I guess it has to do with the fact that, unlike Belgium and Spain, the monarchy in that country still has a very good reputation.

In some minutes the abdication law will be published, making Felipe the new king. However the proclamation ceremony remains to be done tomorrow, which will be done in a very solemn but austere way. Pretty much like the proclamation of the belgian king last year.

The dutch could do a bombastic show for the coronation of Willem Alexander last year, though. I guess it has to do with the fact that, unlike Belgium and Spain, the monarchy in that country still has a very good reputation.

It may also have to do with the personality of the incoming monarch: Willem Alexander (and his wife) is definitely a very outgoing character, while both Philipps, the Belgian and the Spanish one, seem far more introvert and no frills. Besides, lavish spending on coronation ceremonies while Spain is in economic crisis wouldn't make the crown more popular either.

King Felipe VI calls for 'new Spain' as he is sworn in

King Felipe VI has called for "a new Spain that we will build together" after being proclaimed head of state in a ceremony in parliament.

Earlier, King Felipe received the royal sash from his father, Juan Carlos, at the Zarzuela Palace near Madrid.

He acceded to the throne at the stroke of midnight after King Juan Carlos formally abdicated on Wednesday.

The proceedings have been kept low key, as many Spaniards are suffering economic hardship.

The swearing-in ceremony took the form of a proclamation rather than a coronation. It is the first royal transition in Spain since democracy was restored in the 1970s.

The new king, 46, swore an oath promising to uphold the constitution.

The speaker of the lower house of parliament, Jesus Posada, then proclaimed him king, declaring: "Long live Spain! Long live the king!"

In a speech to parliament, Felipe said he had "great hope" for the future of Spain and called for unity.

"You will find in me a loyal head of state who is ready listen and understand, warn and advise as well as to defend the public interest at all times," he said.

"The monarch wants to be close to citizens… ensuring it can preserve its prestige and dignity.

"Now more than ever, citizens of Spain are rightly demanding fundamental ethical principles should govern our public life. The king should not only be a reference but who serves all citizens of Spain."

The Congress of Deputies, the lower house, stood to applaud the new king. Reports say Catalan leader Artur Mas, and Inigo Urkullu, President of the Basque government, were present but did not clap.

_75638134_de33-1.jpg
King Felipe, Queen Letizia, and their daughters Leonor and Sofia stood during the proclamation in Congress

HE'S NOT EVEN WEARING THE CROWN. WHAT KIND OF KING DOESN'T EVEN WEAR A CROWN??

they should have skipped him and given it to the 8 year old so she could be like anna paquin, queen of spain, in that one movie i fell asleep halfway through (i think the slaves won? or maybe anna paquin did because she was jumping on the bed at the end in some random non sequitur yelling que bonita or aye caramba or snap chatting or something.) mostly though so i could see what that little girl'd look like with that big ol crown pushing down on her spine giving her intervertebral disc breakdown.

i need to see that, so through my awesome powers of photoshop i'm going to make that a reality right now.

15qeumd.jpg

you can't even tell there's a person missing from the original photograph, or that the crown has moved, i bet. if life were fair, this would be happening.

also, i think i put it on the wrong girl because for some reason they placed the heir farther away from the crown (??), but whatever, this was like thrown together yesterday morning for like $80, cash bar, no unlimited trips to the buffet (hors d'oerves only). pretend it's like old spain and there was palace coup to put the cuter one on the throne. spain treats its royal family like circus animals anyway, so.

HE'S NOT EVEN WEARING THE CROWN. WHAT KIND OF KING DOESN'T EVEN WEAR A CROWN??

they should have skipped him and given it to the 8 year old so she could be like anna paquin, queen of spain, in that one movie i fell asleep halfway through (i think the slaves won? or maybe anna paquin did because she was jumping on the bed at the end in some random non sequitur yelling que bonita or aye caramba or snap chatting or something.) mostly though so i could see what that little girl'd look like with that big ol crown pushing down on her spine giving her intervertebral disc breakdown.

i need to see that, so through my awesome powers of photoshop i'm going to make that a reality right now.

15qeumd.jpg

you can't even tell there's a person missing from the original photograph, or that the crown has moved, i bet. if life were fair, this would be happening.

also, i think i put it on the wrong girl because for some reason they placed the heir farther away from the crown (??), but whatever, this was like thrown together yesterday morning for like $80, cash bar, no unlimited trips to the buffet (hors d'oerves only). pretend it's like old spain and there was palace coup to put the cuter one on the throne. spain treats its royal family like circus animals anyway, so.

It looks like the little girl to the left is trying it on for size! A sense of balance and deportment is obviously vitally important in a future queen!! ;)

^^ The coronations were dropped long time ago by most monarchies in the world in favor of a simple investiture ceremony (even though they can still have some degree of glitz and glamour), however the crown is always placed besides the monarch when he swears in office.

Now, since abdication seems to be the new trend with monarchies these days and with a new generation of royals starting to come up, the question is which monarch will abdicate next (I won't include Liz since we all know she seems to want to die in the throne). My bet is Harald of Norway, since he's the oldest after Liz (77 years old) and has recurring health issues for what i've read. Also his son Haakon already had two periods of regencies in 2004 and 2005 because of Harald cancer treatment.

Margreth of Denmark also seems that she won't abdicate soon since danish kings also seem to be strict against abdication like in England. And Carl Gustaf of Sweden is 68 while his niece is still very young to become a crown princess.

HE'S NOT EVEN WEARING THE CROWN. WHAT KIND OF KING DOESN'T EVEN WEAR A CROWN?

A modern foward thinking one?