USA 2024

Hah!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/chi-usoc-chairman-says-odds-good-for-2024-olympic-bid-with-single-city-20141209-story.html

The USOC meets in Redwood City instead of San Fran proper. So, if I'm not mistaken that means at the offices of Electronic Arts (or at some hall nearby) where Larry Probst's office is. He still keeps an office at the EA building.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obama's term ends in 2017.

Yeah in like January.

Interesting to hear Probst summarize the cities' chances, even though if it's not that revelating. It just strongly illustrates what some of us here have already figured.

I read the article yesterday and it seems as though LA is the most prepared (duh), but would face a struggle with image. Everything he say's is the exact same stuff people here have been saying for the past four years.

I read the article yesterday and it seems as though LA is the most prepared (duh), but would face a struggle with image. Everything he say's is the exact same stuff people here have been saying for the past four years.

I'd say from the IOC's new "austerity" guidelines, LA being a previous host should no longer be a liability -- after all, London's set a precedent of being the first 3x host. And maybe to throw in the cache of San Francisco, LA can give the Bay Area something more than just a soccer satellite city.

I'd say from the IOC's new "austerity" guidelines, LA being a previous host should no longer be a liability -- after all, London's set a precedent of being the first 3x host. And maybe to throw in the cache of San Francisco, LA can give the Bay Area something more than just a soccer satellite city.

But their new guidelines 'encourage the use of existing venues'. LA as far as I know has more existing Olympic ready venues than the other three cities.

Also Probst mentioned that LA and SF would not joint host, or something along those lines.

1. But their new guidelines 'encourage the use of existing venues'. LA as far as I know has more existing Olympic ready venues than the other three cities.

2. Also Probst mentioned that LA and SF would not joint host, or something along those lines.

1. Bernham, read my statement again. THat;s EXACTLY what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

2. That's just Larry Probst's view. He's not putting together the LA bid; and he's only the newest IOC member from the US of the current 4. And I didn't say Joint-Host. If LA is giving many events to Long Beach or like San Bernardino again, they might share those with the more glamorous San Francisco Bay Area and thus enhance the bid as a whole.

1. Bernham, read my statement again. THat;s EXACTLY what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

2. That's just Larry Probst's view. He's not putting together the LA bid; and he's only the newest IOC member from the US of the current 4. And I didn't say Joint-Host. If LA is giving many events to Long Beach or like San Bernardino again, they might share those with the more glamorous San Francisco Bay Area and thus enhance the bid as a whole.

Oh okay. I apologize it was a misread on my part.

Uh!! Right again. USOC meeting will be at Electronic Arts offices...

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2024/1024288-usoc-board-meeting-may-see-a-us-city-first-out-of-the-traps-in-race-for-2024-olympics

Hmmmm...wonder if I can gate-crash it??

Wow; DC is leading by a wide margin in Insidethegames' poll:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/polls/91-which-city-do-you-think-the-usoc-choose-to-bid-for-the-2024-olympics

I'm afraid DC will be a disaster politically. I suppose people must be voting for DC out of nationalism, because it's hard to see any other reason to choose it.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm referring to the fact that funding will be a major issue, and DC has no congressional representation since it isn't a state. There are a bunch of other problems, too, but that's a good starting point for why DC is a tougher sell than Los Angeles or Boston.

I'm afraid DC will be a disaster politically. I suppose people must be voting for DC out of nationalism, because it's hard to see any other reason to choose it.

People voting in those polls are, by default, posters here and on similar sites. So I wouldn't put much stock into what they think in terms of what city would actually have the best shot at winning.

I've said before, I wouldn't be surprised if the USOC went ahead & did another cut, like they've done in the past. Each city is going to make an hour-long presentation at the USOC meeting late next week. Surely something is going to come out of that.

And now that Probat has summarized & solidified much on what some of us here already knew, I can't see San Fran & DC moving forward in such a move. But still leaving two other options at opposite ends of the country.

I've said before, I wouldn't be surprised if the USOC went ahead & did another cut, like they've done in the past. Each city is going to make an hour-long presentation at the USOC meeting late next week. Surely something is going to come out of that.

And now that Probat has summarized & solidified much on what some of us here already knew, I can't see San Fran & DC moving forward in such a move. But still leaving two other options at opposite ends of the country.

I thought they were announcing the city on the 16th?

Not according to that last article. What is likely to happen on the 16th, is whether the USOC will or will not bid for the 2024 Games. But the nomination of a city may not happen for another month or two after that.

That's why I think, that after those presentations from the cities, & the USOC makes up their mind whether or not to bid, that another cut could be likely. Why boggle yourself with four cities still, if after those presentations, it becomes much clearer who has the goods & who doesn't.

As you may have noticed in other threads, I am very intrigued by the idea of Agenda 2020. So a few questions for you guys:

1) Agenda 2020, would allow for a stadium outside of the heart of the cities (SF, DC, and Boston)? And for the future, could NYC do this with placing a stadium in NJ and not in the boroughs?

2) Do the reforms allow temporary stadiums? And if so, would temps be the route the US2024 cities go with?

3) Will this meeting next week fully lay out for the public the venue plans that each city has?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm here to learn about my biggest hobby! :) Thanks guys!

As you may have noticed in other threads, I am very intrigued by the idea of Agenda 2020. So a few questions for you guys:

1) Agenda 2020, would allow for a stadium outside of the heart of the cities (SF, DC, and Boston)? And for the future, could NYC do this with placing a stadium in NJ and not in the boroughs?

2) Do the reforms allow temporary stadiums? And if so, would temps be the route the US2024 cities go with?

3) Will this meeting next week fully lay out for the public the venue plans that each city has?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm here to learn about my biggest hobby! :) Thanks guys!

Hi Anthony. I doubt that the USOC will come out with a decision right away. I think they will want to hear fomr possible competition like Germany, or France or if Durban even moves forward. That's what the USOC has to gauge. The USOC-only meeting on Tuesday will just show to the USOC board who can be ready to go with the flag is dropped and which city will have the best chances of winning. It's a rather complicated geo-political cocktail that will have to be weighed.

I know that Boston and San Francisco plan on using temporary stadiums, and Chicago 2016 used a temporary stadium and Atlanta 1996 had a temporary half as well so the USOC has not shied away from temporary stadiums in the past. I think what the USOC wants is a games plan that fits that city and utilizes as many existing or temporary venues in order to eliminate white elephants. I think now it is more a question of who does this in the best possible way and who can beat our potential competition.

i'm surprised that there has been so little chatter about the 2024 Games after the USOC's meeting last week. I know no one here has the inside track, but has that ever stopped anyone from commenting before?? LOL

Thanks TeamRik :lol:

There are threads for each of the 4 cities in the running for the US nomination. They've all gotten comments here pretty recently. Besides, how often does the level of chatter here actually coincide with when news is reported. :D

Thanks TeamRik :lol:

There are threads for each of the 4 cities in the running for the US nomination. They've all gotten comments here pretty recently. Besides, how often does the level of chatter here actually coincide with when news is reported. :D

Uh, not quite on the TeamRik comment, but...

I think I've found the issue. I was reading the threads on the Future Games Bids forum which all seem to have go silent about a week or so ago. I did not see that there is now a 2024 Bids forum and all these discussion migrated over here. Carry on.

Archived