USA 2024

Ofan does have point about the crapiness that is Washington in general. But the real problem comes from the name of Washington itself, the "Redskins". It's a racist term for native americans, and over the past several months, there have been demands from the public (native americans most prominently) that they change the name. However, Snyder has cited it's part of their history, so he has rejected changing the name. As a result, a lot of people are PO'd at him.

The team name is the least of it at this point. If the team was winning consistently, it wouldn't be a big issue, at least to Redskins fans. That they're not winning though.. it's yet another reason to be angry at Snyder.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hopefully, "Independently" will turn into "collaborating", but that still may be rough at this stage

Wow, this is a refreshing change.. an article that actually does mention the Olympics and provides us with some fresh news. Good find.

So maybe DC is in this after all. As noted, the collaboration between Daniel Snyder and the city may or may not be the best thing here, but maybe this is what helps push DC along. Don't know if this partnership will be able to produce something that works for both sides, but at least there's an indication it's being looked into (in theory).

tumblr_n2wxgjMNBF1rvf139o1_500.gif

Wow, this is a refreshing change.. an article that actually does mention the Olympics and provides us with some fresh news. Good find.

So maybe DC is in this after all. As noted, the collaboration between Daniel Snyder and the city may or may not be the best thing here, but maybe this is what helps push DC along. Don't know if this partnership will be able to produce something that works for both sides, but at least there's an indication it's being looked into (in theory).

I would agree, but I still think the LA and Boston bids will be superior. However, if it does work out and they're able to produce something workable then I think DC's chances will go up tremendously.

I just don't see how a DC bid can work. I have no doubt about the city's capacity, I just think coordinating two state governments, plus the District's city council, *and* getting a (superficially, at any rate) cost-conscious Congress all on the same harmonious page is a gargantuan feat.

I just don't see how a DC bid can work. I have no doubt about the city's capacity, I just think coordinating two state governments, plus the District's city council, *and* getting a (superficially, at any rate) cost-conscious Congress all on the same harmonious page is a gargantuan feat.

Exactly, DC's not going to happen. I don't even know why they try.

^yeah, & that has been no secret throughout these boards. The political cohesiveness of a DC bid is questionable at best. Especially when they're in the middle of a mayoral race right now & the incumbant mayor will soon no longer be mayor anyway.

The USOC only short-listed them just for the sake of doing so, & to hold on to some glimmer of hope, that besides L.A., there was at least one other worthwhile city to seriously consider.

^yeah, & that has been no secret throughout these boards. The political cohesiveness of a DC bid is questionable at best. Especially when they're in the middle of a mayoral race right now & the incumbant mayor will soon no longer be mayor anyway.

The USOC only short-listed them just for the sake of doing so, & to hold on to some glimmer of hope, that besides L.A., there was at least one other worthwhile city to seriously consider.

That makes no sense, especially when they originally wanted to shortlist only three cities.

^Precisely. They intially said "two or three", then they do FOUR. What happened that was so significant within a couple of months when they said as such to the actual announcement of their short-list. Besides not much. It makes 'no sense' as far as the USOC is concerned.

Ok, that's your hypothesis. The reality is that we have no factual information explaining why the USOC shortlisted 4 cities rather than two or three. We also have no factual information explaining why they shortlisted the cities they did and not others. Any theories about this reasoning are 100% guesswork and probably will never be proved or disproved.

Personally, I'm inclined to think that the four shortlisted cities gave the USOC reason to believe they could produce feasible, electable bids. Now those cities either rise to that challenge or falter.

Since the USOC does not report to anyone, they can change their mind and shortlist four cities if they want to. I don't understand the rush to worst-case scenario explanations.

I suspect the USOC is delighted by LA's plans and is simply doing their due diligence. Such a thorough process will add weight and legitimacy to whichever city ends up the candidate.

Ok, that's your hypothesis. The reality is that we have no factual information explaining why the USOC shortlisted 4 cities rather than two or three. We also have no factual information explaining why they shortlisted the cities they did and not others. Any theories about this reasoning are 100% guesswork and probably will never be proved or disproved.

We don't have to have any "factual" information on why or how the USOC does things. But we are getting some information from the cities themselves. Therefore, based on that information is where we can sometimes draw some "theories". Everything about Gamesbids is 100% "guesswork". We can all come up with hypothesis & conclusions, but in the end, no one is right & no one is wrong here.

However, if some of us don't want to subscribe to the "wait & see" exercises, or the "there is no 'evidence' or factual information for you to come up with that conclusion", then that is clearly your issue. Some people actually take sides & refuse to constantly sit on the fence (which seems to be popular with a couple here). If that wasn't the case, then there would be absolutely no point in these "discussion" boards at all.

Personally, I'm inclined to think that the four shortlisted cities gave the USOC reason to believe they could produce feasible, electable bids. Now those cities either rise to that challenge or falter.

Umm, that's in essence what I said. So I don't see how that's "rushing to worst-case scenario explanations". Especially when I'm not the only one here with a similar view on DC's prospects.

DC would be brilliant....the assclown government would figure it out, the mayor is a puppet position there usually.....just so beautiful and built for an international festival.....it's definitely the most international of all the US possibilities....and I'm talking folks of all classes and diverse origins(who are often visiting and not migrating), which is refreshing compared to California.

However, LA will always be amazing.....and seem like the best place to fit an Olympics into the gigantism of the cities plans with the least risk of disruption or distraction. We can absorb the tasks and spit out any screw-ups or losses at the end without a much more complex routine than it is anyway to sweep problems under the rug........so OK........LA24 looks nice in caps.

Of the 4 US "finalists," here is my sweltering/humidity index for a July-August time-frame

SF - coolest; most comfortable

LA - driest but could get a little warm 12noon - 5pm

Boston - muggy

DC - a fetid swamp!!

Make your bed, USOC and IOC.

By Santa Monica it can get very cool like in the sixties. But as you go in land like you said, it can get pretty warm

Of the 4 US "finalists," here is my sweltering/humidity index for a July-August time-frame

SF - coolest; most comfortable

LA - driest but could get a little warm 12noon - 5pm

Boston - muggy

DC - a fetid swamp!!

Make your bed, USOC and IOC.

But which cities have a revolving restaurant!?

lol a revolving restaurant index? Now I've heard it all.

Actually, if you look at the prospective 2020/2024/2028 cities, it does have a bearing...

for the 2020 race - only Tokyo had 1 or 2 active operating ones

2024/2028 - Paris and Rome do NOT have one. Baku, Dubai and LA do have at least one each. Apparently, a 2nd one, 1OAK, just opened in Durban. Durban's other RR is the "Roma."

Archived