USA 2024

I remember when I first saw that video. It's incredibly clarifying, isn't it? Not that we really needed any additional evidence to know what we were dealing with....

Actually... that guy's a bit stiff, but I like him a hell of a lot more than the caustic asshole posting as Baron.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Games would have to be funded privately. The state of California is in a dicey financial position. The Federal government will not block plans -- they have no reason to (what a weird notion).

Hosting the Games would act as a catalyst for bringing the completion of these projects about -- that's a primary reason to move forward. Even if Farmer's Field didn't materialize, I don't see that as a big problem. It's really more than would be needed for the job anyway. There will backup options.

Bunch of 'Merica-loving UN-hating congressmen who I can see passing a rider guaranteeing, for example, that no federal transportation dollars can be spent on anything that might benefit LA2024. Or blocking using guard members for security.

Even if most of the money is private, you'll need the Federal Governement and it's money at some point.

Bunch of 'Merica-loving UN-hating congressmen who I can see passing a rider guaranteeing, for example, that no federal transportation dollars can be spent on anything that might benefit LA2024. Or blocking using guard members for security.

Even if most of the money is private, you'll need the Federal Governement and it's money at some point.

I don't see the Federal Government working against the Olympics.

The whole concept is to use the Games to expedite needed development. The projects (particularly where your transportation example is concerned) are designed primarily for non-Olympic use. Olympic benefit is just a bonus. The government is not going to object to that.

All that is very hypothetical though. Quite a lot of maybes. As of now the mayor, city council, business and sports leaders are all enthusiastically on board. Quite a lot would have to shift in order for that to change.

I do agree that we should not assume LA will be a perennial candidate. I don't see the support waning for 2024, but it could for 28/32.

Yes, we're still very early on in this process. And yes, LA is giving off the impression that they're fully on board. But that's still easier said than done. The budget for the 1984 Olympics (depending on how you calculate it) was somewhere around $500 million. For a 2024 Olympics, they're looking at at least $10 billion, probably a lot more than that. That's an awful lot of money to come from the private sector, particularly when as you noted earlier, the public sector of California is in a dicey position. In theory, yes, all these entities are ready to go. Let's see what happens when theory is put to the test. I'm not doubting that they have the will and desire to do this, but I'm not going to make that assumption just yet that all they need is the USOC's blessing and then this is full speed ahead.

And again, my point about Farmers Field is if that project begins to gain traction, does that potentially take away money and resources that might otherwise be poured into the Olympics? It may be possible the 2 can work concurrently, but I wouldn't say that's a given at this point.

I see some of that as borrowing trouble. I don't doubt there will be snags. There always are. We'll wait and see.

"Borrowing" being the troubling word...and yes the enevidable change in administration at Federal level will see a more conservative leaning president.

"Borrowing" being the troubling word...and yes the enevidable change in administration at Federal level will see a more conservative leaning president.

I think you mean "inevitable" -- and it's not. The Republicans are a shambles. Hilary has a following. That said, I like Marco Rubio a lot.

Regardless, the Olympics appeal across both parties. President during '84 -- Reagan. '96 -- Clinton. 2002 -- G.W. Bush. I don't foresee any administration obstructing an Olympic bid.

Finally, the sitting president is not going to determine the government's support of an Olympic bid anyway.

@alex...Thanks for the free plug. I feel flattered that you took the time to do more research on me. I tried to return the favor...but I came up...ZILCH!!

At least you know I have a head, 2 eyes, etc., I wonder if you look like the Minotaur? On 2nd thought, never mind...

Re the IGNORE, as I posted -- if you can read...or maybe you need visuals to help -- I reserve the right to break my IGNORE rule if I want to. Unlike you, I am hurting no one by doing so.

Now, let's see what you have done for yourself or for society in the last day or two? <_< Uhmmm...dammit, I've come up empty-handed again!!

I trust you feel mighty Kiwi proud with yourself... Sleep well, my friend..

OH OKAY...not that you can read this.

You are by far the biggest stirring TROLL here...stalking other members and winding them up. Yet when they start fighting back you always pack a hiss and run off to the Moderators with your shriveled up tail between your legs.

It's funny that you say your first recollection of watching an Olympics opening on TV was in 1968 yet you claim here on GB you were born in 1975?

As for contributing to my country...I do, I just don't bragg about it as much as you do, in fact recently we even helped your homeland with aid to its battered communities...your homeland of course being the Philippines. Even to a point of giving some of them long stay visas to work here in NZ and send money back to there struggling families. I employ three of them.

I sleep well knowing I'm doing my bit for humanity.

I take it you'll update your video for the updated edition? At least get a voice over for the dialog, and get the book proof read!

You don't have as many freinds here as you think you do Myles (or Amazon for that matter, man you can make enemies)...and it's entirely your fault.

OH OKAY...not that you can read this.

You are by far the biggest stirring TROLL here...stalking other members and winding them up. Yet when they start fighting back you always pack a hiss and run off to the Moderators with your shriveled up tail between your legs.

It's funny that you say your first recollection of watching an Olympics opening on TV was in 1968 yet you claim here on GB you were born in 1975?

As for contributing to my country...I do, I just don't bragg about it as much as you do, in fact recently we even helped your homeland with aid to its battered communities...your homeland of course being the Philippines. Even to a point of giving some of them long stay visas to work here in NZ and send money back to there struggling families. I employ three of them.

I sleep well knowing I'm doing my bit for humanity.

I take it you'll update your video for the updated edition? At least get a voice over for the dialog, and get the book proof read!

You don't have as many freinds here as you think you do Myles (or Amazon for that matter, man you can make enemies)...and it's entirely your fault.

This is where the conflict starts. I didn't solicit your advise...yet you give it out so freely -- just like what Bernham did. If I want advice from others, I'll ask for it.

#2 - U keep insisting the Philippines is my homeland. But that was LONG AGO, man. Pls stop projecting yourself unto me. My allegiance is to the US. I live in the present; I guess you don't. Big deal about your donations -- pls don't do me no favors. But I can sense your true colors. Don't think the patronizing undertones have gone unnoticed -- and I wasn't the only one.

As for your "video" suggestions, will you pay for them?

One can't please all the people all the time -- and I just don't take CRAP from anyone especially if I didn't start it. Would you? As for amazon, there are like a dozen good reviews and 2 negative ones -- one from an obvious fraud who used to post here and was caught in his own lie. I'd say that that's a pretty good ratio. As for "friends," it's quality over quantity. And with "friendnemies" like you and Athensfan, who really needs that? I really don't need people always focusing on the negative.

Alex, look back at what started this rift, have you ever considered that I took umbrage at what you have posted, and that's when and why I became curt to you. Problem is you can't take responsiblity for your own action. But that's water under the bridge...

Pls stop lecturing me on things, A. Just mind your own business and I'll mind mine, OK??

Bye.

I agree with Zeke. The guy in the video is likeable, someone I could be chill with in person. Which makes it all the more surprising why he start beef on these boards.

I really enjoyed the video, by the way.

I agree with Zeke. The guy in the video is likeable, someone I could be chill with in person. Which makes it all the more surprising why he start beef on these boards.

I really enjoyed the video, by the way.

Thank you very much, Hokkaido.

But why should I be the one to "start the beef'? Why should I start that? Isn't it possible that maybe I just react to what others have started? I mean.. innocent until proven guilty...I think also holds in Canada, right??

Just remember to stand by your "Ignore" mantra. M.

And remember, I have the right to change that as I see fit, A.

He's a chameleon...even I purchased his book. It's not overly that bad either, apart from a few grammatical errors. I'd probably purchase his latest edition as well as I've already given away my original copy.

He's a chameleon...even I purchased his book. It's not overly that bad either, apart from a few grammatical errors. I'd probably purchase his latest edition as well as I've already given away my original copy.

So if you did -- then how come my background was 'something' new to you?? :blink: I mean it's right there in the "About Author" section. :wacko: So what was that all about??

The new edition, with a few more behind-the-scene stories, is good -- if I may say so myself. (I'll even send you a personalized/signed Author's Plate...if you wish...

If anything a conservative president would want to use the games to upstage China and Russia.

Also, mods can you clean up the bitiching between Baron and Alex, this thread is dedicated to the US' potential 2024 bid; not Baron.

Sometimes you guys can get really bitchy over stupid ****. I mean who gives a **** if Baron is an immigrant who has made a life for himself in the states? America is a melting pot.

I hate to be that kind of person, especially when I have gotten into fights with other members here in the past, but honestly some people here can be worse then teenage girls.

I hate to be that kind of person, especially when I have gotten into fights with other members here in the past, but honestly some people here can be worse then teenage girls.

We're all that person here now and then. It's like there's some disease flowing through this site that turns us all into a bunch of douchebags.

Archived