Krakow Mayor Abandons 2022 Olympic Bid After Devastating Referendum

GBModerator

After the overwhelming opossition shown against Krakow in the recent referendum, I'm not surprised by this.

I'm supporting Oslo but if they drop off (which now seems very likely) I guess I'll support Almaty (I refuse to support a bid which was obviously made just to compete with Japan after they got the 2020 games) but seriously...the IOC is living what could probably be its worst moment since the SLC corruption scandal.

Hopefully this slap in the face will make them reconsider about the dangerous gigantism this event is suffering and will start taking measures against it. But seriously, Rogge must be cursing right now the day certain russian city got picked to host the games in a summer of 2007 at Guatemala.

And then there were four

Can we just say three? There's absolutely no way Lviv will have a chance, considering the situation Ukraine is undergoing. We should also thank Russia for it. <_<

Hopefully this slap in the face will make them reconsider about the dangerous gigantism this event is suffering and will start taking measures against it. But seriously, Rogge must be cursing right now the day certain russian city got picked to host the games in a summer of 2007 at Guatemala.

I don't think Rogge really cares. It's not his responsibility anymore. If I'm him, I'm laughing right now at the sucker that is Thomas Bach.

To be fair, although Bach has been so far an inept, he hasn't been even a year as a president. And he got elected 4 months before Sochi started. Not trying to defending him, though. Just saying both Bach and Rogge sucked.

Also yes, let's give the games to Beijing, the country which overspend as hell in 2008 and has more than half of the venues either abandoned or used for stuff different for what they were originally planned. Considering what happened in Sochi that would be an awesome idea, so why the hell not? : D *sarcasm*

*sorry, 5 months. But still.

To be fair, although Bach has been so far an inept, he hasn't been even a year as a president. And he got elected 4 months before Sochi started. Not trying to defending him, though. Just saying both Bach and Rogge sucked.

Bach was already part of the innermost circle for over a decade before his election. He's not a newcomer having to clean out the mess someone else left him with - he was there when the mess was created already.

I don't think Rogge really cares. It's not his responsibility anymore. If I'm him, I'm laughing right now at the sucker that is Thomas Bach.

Rogge probably stopped caring the day he was succeeded by Bach. Which is a shame because Rogge helped to create the mess and now Bach is there to deal with the consequences of it. To Stefan's point.. yes, he was there when Sochi got picked, so it's not like he was a stranger to the IOC. We'll see how he handles this mess though.

You have to respect the wishes of the people, and Krakow's mayor did the right thing. The idea of 22 becomming a two horse race is disconcerting though. And what if it goes down to just the one? And that's Beijing?

Agreed. Same leaning here.

It's only a real disaster if there are ZERO viable options. For the time being there are still three.

Also agreed. Beijing is far from an ideal option. But they are an acceptable one. Time will tell if these 2 cycles (2020 and 2022) are anomalies or if this is a growing trend. The IOC has weathered this storm before though. They'll manage to survive this somehow, I'm sure. But it needs to start with them repairing their reputation and becoming an organization that cities and countries want to work with rather than try to avoid.

Also agreed. Beijing is far from an ideal option. But they are an acceptable one. Time will tell if these 2 cycles (2020 and 2022) are anomalies or if this is a growing trend. The IOC has weathered this storm before though. They'll manage to survive this somehow, I'm sure. But it needs to start with them repairing their reputation and becoming an organization that cities and countries want to work with rather than try to avoid.

Bloody good point...but what can the IOC do? Outside of downsizing the winter editions?

Are we in that natural cycle of total disinterest out there yet in four to six years time about to get another log jam era of potential hosts take an interest. Looking at all the US cities drop away must ring alarm bells.

The Norwegians had a list of about seven requests to the IOC. None of these were gamechangers.... little things like paying for your own hotel rooms, promising not to add sports after a city was chosen, etc. As far as I know, the IOC never even replied.

One of the big issues cities have isn't about the size and cost of the games, it's about the arrogance and aloofness of the IOC. That's something the IOC *can* easily address. They choose not to.

Archived