Glasgow 2014 Ceremonies

That is one ugly stadium- all the hi tech screens makes it look worse....

You do realise Celtic Park is a football stadium, And nothing more? Only being used as the OC venue due to it's ampitheater like setting. Whatever you wear in it, make sure its not a Rangers jersey.

^^ That would be awesome. I always like when the ceremony goes beyond the stadium so the people and the city itself can interact with it. I still have nice memories of how the Yarra River was used in Melbourne 2006. Hope to see something similar tomorrow :)

^^ That would be awesome. I always like when the ceremony goes beyond the stadium so the people and the city itself can interact with it. I still have nice memories of how the Yarra River was used in Melbourne 2006. Hope to see something similar tomorrow :)

Yes indeed:

Yarra.jpg

And Edinburgh probably has a few spare trams to lend them!

Does anyone know for certain exactly when the OC starts? I've seen some pages saying 8, others saying 9, even on the same site :unsure:

I think the "8pm" is just because the BBC broadcast starts then- but of course it wouldn't be BBC event coverage without a good hour of nattering before the main event, so I trust phandrosis on this.

GLASGOW, July 23, 2014 (BSS/AFP) - The 2014 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony in Glasgow on Wednesday will include a tribute to victims of the Malaysia Airlines MH17 flight disaster, organisers said.

Prince Imran from Malaysia, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said all the victims, many of whom were from Malaysia and other Commonwealth countries, would be recognised.

GLASGOW, July 23, 2014 (BSS/AFP) - The 2014 Commonwealth Games opening ceremony in Glasgow on Wednesday will include a tribute to victims of the Malaysia Airlines MH17 flight disaster, organisers said.

Prince Imran from Malaysia, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said all the victims, many of whom were from Malaysia and other Commonwealth countries, would be recognised.

I was wondering whether or not this would happen.

It is said the ceremony will start with the demolition of the Red Road flats... which will be totally unseen in any ceremony.. a live demolition!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/apr/13/plan-demolish-tower-block-commonwealth-games-opening-ceremony-scrapped

The article you posted mentions how that idea was cancelled.

I thought some of the ceremony was pretty bad. The UNICEF stuff was absolutely ridiculous and made the ceremony look like a hideous telethon.

That being said, the looseness of the ceremony and the lack of structure made it very fun. It's unbelievable how political the Olympic ceremonies appear by comparison. There's a strict order to the Olympics OC (speeches, doves of peace, flags, anthems, etc.). It's nice to see how freely the Glasgow organizers put it all together. It really did emphasize the idea of the "friendly games".

• Like 1

IMO the ceremony was a simple and joyous affair although not enough of Scotland's great music and culture was showcased for my taste. Too much of Barrowman clowning around and Susan Boyle was frankly embarrassing singing Mull Of Kintyre, a song she evidently didn't know very well!

It was better towards the end, the parade of athletes went off smoothly and Prince Imran and Chris Hoy's struggles to open the baton and give the message to 'Er Maj' was charmingly hilarious. 'Er Maj' looked much more pleased to be there than she was for the 2012 London OC, possibly because she had more to do or possibly because she just feels more at home at a Commonwealth bash!

A nice, harmless little ceremony but nothing special, other than John Barrowman giving us one of his trademark gay kisses! ;)

It was better towards the end, the parade of athletes went off smoothly and Prince Imran and Chris Hoy's struggles to open the baton and give the message to 'Er Maj' was charmingly hilarious. 'Er Maj' looked much more pleased to be there than she was for the 2012 London OC, possibly because she had more to do or possibly because she just feels more at home at a Commonwealth bash!

Yeah, it really was a total reversal of the usual OC. It was the protocol and traditional set piece segments that really shined and overshadowed the artistic and cultural portions.

The cultural portion to me just seemed a nice enough intro warm-up leading into a few pleasant songs and musical numbers, but then... was that it?

And then, for about the only time I've ever seen, it was the protocol that kicked the ceremony into stride. I've seen too many parades of nations over the years to be fascinated, or be anything more than mildly bored, by them any more, but it was really done well. I guess it helps that it's not as gargantuan or interminable as an Olympic parade, but the touches like the Scotties (I admit, I'm a dog fanatic. Anything that brings a dog into them gets my thumbs up), the chairs, the continental groupings and the crowds who made it feel like they were welcoming the family rather than the world, made it joyful and informal and fast and friendly and fun to watch for once. Well, apart from the UNICEF stuff - well meaning and good intentioned but, yeah, more suited to a telethon or low-rent aid concert.

And that continued with more innovative and fun way the athlete's oath was done and on into the really nice informal "stumbling" of the baton. So nice Her Maj seemed to be enjoying herself and letting her hair down compared to her London OC demeanour. Even the speeches were nice and short.

I still feel it was a bit too undercooked overall for my liking, even if I appreciate the attempt to be more simple and quaint. But I will give the Glasgow team kudos for lifting the protocols and set-pieces beyond bombastic and boring. Those portions really did capture the informal atmosphere of the "Friendly Games" compared to an Olympics.

I hated the out of place Unicef telethon crap... but was strangely moved by the formal parts. The entrance of the flag with members of the regions, and the beautiful violin and audience choir was so moving.

I was thinking, they had such a big stage below the screen (where Rod/ Susan sang), they actually could have brought the athletes in first, sat them all down, and performed just on the long 'video' stage. The opening song then could have been perfomed in front of everyone, with all Scotlands landmarks and scenerey appearing on the huge screen behind the performers. The pop-up Nessie etc didnt add much.