Sign in to follow this  
mattygs

Glasgow 2014 Ceremonies

I guess it's time for the must have Glasgow ceremonies thread.

Not too many details have come out of what we will actually see in the ceremonies yet, more fuss has been made on the now canned plans to blow up some buildings.

Seems like the best thing to start this off, in the tradition of Olympic mockumentaries, is this youtube spoof clip . :P

• Like 1

Well done Matt...you beat Scotguy to it.

I suppose you gotta get Scottish humor!

Ironbru is disgustingly sweet by the way...then again, we got L&P.

So now that they've dumped the buildings' demolition, what big stunt are they planning in place of it???

Not entirely sure.

I read somewhere that initially they were to feature at the start of the ceremony, with the buildings being demolished and then the stadium being filled with dry ice.

Yet to hear of any replacement for the opening moments, which will still have to be iconic.

I guess the only other details we have at the moment is that the ceremonies are produced by Jack Morton Worldwide with David Zolkwer at the head, and that it will feature a giant LED screen.

Rod Stewart to sing at opening ceremony

Rod Stewart is set to perform at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony in Glasgow later this month.

The 69-year-old star will be joined by Scottish-born singer Susan Boyle.

Glasgow 2014 organisers expect 40,000 people at Celtic Park on 23 July to watch the games kick off and millions more will watch on TV around the world.

Chief executive David Grevemberg said the announcement of Stewart on the line up would take "excitement and anticipation to a whole new level".

Also due to perform on the night are Scottish acts Amy MacDonald and Julie Fowlis alongside violinist Nicola Benedetti.

"They will join the thousands of people who are part of our cast for a unique celebration of the host city and nation which will not only welcome the athletes to Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games, but which will also be seen and enjoyed across the world," Mr Grevemberg said.

Stewart, whose father was Scottish, had six consecutive number one albums in the UK charts and 31 top 10 singles

BBC

• Like 1

Rod Stewart to sing at opening ceremony

Well, my Mum will be pleased!

And Kylie at the closing ceremony

Hmmm, I really do wonder if this is going to be a Manchester rehash. Im sure it won't, but DZ seems to even be using the whole theme of the Manchester opening - *ordinary people, when touched by the spirit of Manchester, do extraordinary things*, to describe the Glasgow opening (minus the Manchester bit).

I am looking forward to it though, it's hard to go wrong with a show done by David Zolkwer. Certainly can't be any worse than the world cup opening.

• Like 1

Interesting...Maybee because of his stated "neutral" views towards Scottish independence - no Billy Connolly? If there ever was a Glasgwegien, he's it!

I heard Nicole Swartzinger is involved somehow too, is that right?

I think Nicole Scherzinger is involved in that Unicef fundraising thing during the opening ceremony, not sure if that means she will appear in the opening ceremony itself, or just on a video.

I wonder I SuBo will sing the Scotland National Anthem?...It WOULD sound good...

Kylie minogue is to play at the closing ceremony :)

Kylie minogue is to play at the closing ceremony :)

Gotta have the Kylie in there as the transition to Gold Coast.

P.s. temporarily change your location Scotguy! :)

Some spoilers have been let out of the bag by reporters who sat in on the dress rehearsal OC.

Lots of Rod Stewart is the word out there...fair enough. 48 hours to go!

^^ Don't forget Katherine Jenkins

Edited by Bruce