Study into Hamburg 2024 Olympic Bid launched, as Joint Bid with Copenhagen also proposed. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2024/1020250-study-into-hamburg-2024-olympic-bid-launched-as-joint-bid-with-copenhagen-also-proposed - Source: Inside the Games.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article also includes details of a Tunnel between the German Island of Fehmarn and the Danish Island of Lolland, which would also cut Journey Times between Hamburg and Copenhagen to 3 Hours, due to be Completed in 2021. Obviously, the Main Venues like the Olympic Stadium, Aquatics Centre/Water Polo Arena, Velodrome, Indoor Arena etc would be located in Hamburg, which would be the Main Host. Most of the Football Venues would also be in Germany aswell, as Denmark doesn't have much Stadiums up to the criteria. They could use the Parken Stadium, but that would require a Renovation. Germany could use Olympic Stadium in Berlin, Allianz Arena in Munich, Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund, Imtech Arena in Hamburg, Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen and Mercedes-Benz Arena in Stuttgart. Copenhagen would Host some of the other events.

This concept has been studied before...Washington DC and Baltimore had a similar idea ten years ago. The IOC sort of took interest as a possible answer to ease the on going spiralling up cost burden on cities.(and countries).

I would presume it would work list every other Olympics. You have some venues in one city. Other venues in a different city.

Gosh darnit, why didn't I think of that before. Tell me more about "every other Olympics" where some venues were in one city and other venues were in a different city. Do you not recall the number of people here freaking out about would the IOC accept a Krakow bid with 1 sport held in another country? Jasna isn't exactly too far over the border from Poland. Hamburg is not that close to Copenhagen. Well over 300 km. Logistically could it be made to work? Sure. But, and I know the crowd here doesn't represent the IOC, why does Germany need to partner up with another country to make an Olympic bid work? They don't have enough resources on their own?

The only dual country hosting I can ever think of is Melbourne 56 with equestrian events in Stockholm? ...due to Australia's really tough quarantine laws at the time?

The only dual country hosting I can ever think of is Melbourne 56 with equestrian events in Stockholm? ...due to Australia's really tough quarantine laws at the time?

I guess you're forgetting 2008 as well with Hong Kong, also with equestrian

But Hong Kong hosting Equestrian was an afterthought. It was a convenient way of China avoiding to modify its existing quarantine laws as to cater for the Equestrian event.

Both times it bid it proposed an Equestrian venue in the city and had the relevant information as how to deal with the foreign horses used in competition. Only after it won it put up Hong Kong as an alternative, as to avoid making a mess of things in the mainland and to cleverly give a nod to Hong Kong's equine culture.

No need to waste any more time on this subject.

It's either Hamburg by itself going after it or a bi-national bid CPH/Malmö at some point. Anyone who seriously thinks Hamhagen is feasible should either use Google Maps, with or without the Fehmarn link, or go and see a doctor if still not gone off the idea.

Copenhagen should just stick with Malmo. At least with Malmo you got an existing main arena for one of the major sports like Basketball, Handball and Volleyball, 2 minor arenas for indoor sports and a stadium of 20,000+ that could host Football Preliminaries or Rugby 7's.

And of course you have the general infrastructure that would be used regardless.

Of course some Olympic hosts have had other events in other cities. But those are usually events like sailing, equestrian, soccer & mountain biking where not all cities have the topography to accommodate such venues, but that doesn't translate into the marquee events. Those are IN the "host city".

But in this scenario, Hamburg/Copenhagen want to share everything. That in itself would create great logistical challenges to not even warrant the extreme bother. But as usual, it's usually one Lone Ranger around here that likes to advocate such silly "plans".

I think that the major of Copenhagen wanted to express with this proposal how important the "Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link" for Denmark and Germany is - he knew that Hamburg is interested to bid for the Olympics and he is aware, too that for Denmark the hosting of Summer Olympics is not easy - therefore he mentioned a combined bid of Copenhagen and Hamburg for Summer Olympics...

The "Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link" will link Copenhagen/Zealand with Central Europe like the "Great Belt Fixed Link" link Copenhagen/Zealand with Funen/Jutland and the "Øresund Bridge" with Scania/Sweden.

This concept has been studied before...Washington DC and Baltimore had a similar idea ten years ago. The IOC sort of took interest as a possible answer to ease the on going spiralling up cost burden on cities.(and countries).

Yeah, but that's different. Baltimore is almost inside DC. The two cities really are one, DC is a much smaller federal district. Go look on Google maps to see how close they are, they literally are right next to each other.

Another thing to note is that DC-Baltimore is the only way DC could ever host the games and will likely be the foundation for their 2024 bid.

A Hamburg/Copenhagen sounds like a logistical headache .

I agree, that Denmark should consider a Joint Bid with Sweden, but Sweden is probably more interested in a Stockholm Winter Olympics for the Future. Denmark might have to settle for a Summer Youth Olympics with Copenhagen. Maybe CAF and Stefan can give their opinions on the matter, but I believe the German Olympic Committee would go with Berlin instead of Hamburg. Many Venues in place (Needing Renovations of course) and is the Capital City, which could give it the edge over Hamburg. Who knows, they might choose Leipzig again? (Just joking). :P Or would they Bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics with Munich? Probably more chance of a Summer Bid.

I agree, that Denmark should consider a Joint Bid with Sweden, but Sweden is probably more interested in a Stockholm Winter Olympics for the Future. Denmark might have to settle for a Summer Youth Olympics with Copenhagen. Maybe CAF and Stefan can give their opinions on the matter, but I believe the German Olympic Committee would go with Berlin instead of Hamburg. Many Venues in place (Needing Renovations of course) and is the Capital City, which could give it the edge over Hamburg. Who knows, they might choose Leipzig again? (Just joking). :P Or would they Bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics with Munich? Probably more chance of a Summer Bid.

Tony, there should be no joint bid.

Yeah, but that's different. Baltimore is almost inside DC. The two cities really are one, DC is a much smaller federal district. Go look on Google maps to see how close they are, they literally are right next to each other.

Another thing to note is that DC-Baltimore is the only way DC could ever host the games and will likely be the foundation for their 2024 bid.

A Hamburg/Copenhagen sounds like a logistical headache .

Baltimore is not 'almost inside DC'. They are not litrally right next to each other, either. The two cities are 40 miles apart, with many, many suburbs in between them. Its roughly the same distance & the same suburban sprawl between Dallas/Ft. Worth & San Francisco/San Jose. The only two big cities in the U.S. that are literally right next to each other that I can think of off the top are Minneapolis/St. Paul.

And while I would agree that any hypothetical Washington bid would include the likes of Baltimore, it's very premature to say at this point that it's gonna be the "foundation" of any 2024 bid, which seems very unlikely at this point that we'll see anything of significance coming from them this time around. But yeah, compared to this Hamburg/Copenhagen scenario, there really is no comparison.

Baltimore is not 'almost inside DC'. They are not litrally right next to each other, either. The two cities are 40 miles apart, with many, many suburbs in between them. Its roughly the same distance & the same suburban sprawl between Dallas/Ft. Worth & San Francisco/San Jose. The only two big cities in the U.S. that are literally right next to each other that I can think of off the top are Minneapolis/St. Paul.

And while I would agree that any hypothetical Washington bid would include the likes of Baltimore, it's very premature to say at this point that it's gonna be the "foundation" of any 2024 bid, which seems very unlikely at this point that we'll see anything of significance coming from them this time around. But yeah, compared to this Hamburg/Copenhagen scenario, there really is no comparison.

Ah, thanks, I knew they were close did not think the were that far from each other. Still the two cities are much closer than Copenhagen and Hamburg and an Olympics between the two makes much more sense.

Two more US cities right next to each other include Tampa/St.Petersburg.

Gosh darnit, why didn't I think of that before. Tell me more about "every other Olympics" where some venues were in one city and other venues were in a different city. Do you not recall the number of people here freaking out about would the IOC accept a Krakow bid with 1 sport held in another country? Jasna isn't exactly too far over the border from Poland. Hamburg is not that close to Copenhagen. Well over 300 km. Logistically could it be made to work? Sure. But, and I know the crowd here doesn't represent the IOC, why does Germany need to partner up with another country to make an Olympic bid work? They don't have enough resources on their own?

It worked in 1956 -- only 9,700 mi and 5 months apart! Not to mention there were no commercial jets yet then!! :lol::wacko:

Baton Rouge and Denham Springs, New Orleans and Metairie, San Diego and Tijuana, Dallas and Fort Worth, there really are a lot of cities that have benefited from the goods of a larger city and as a result they both have grown to be right next to each other or extremely close.

Kansas City and Kansas City! Can't get closer than that! :D

It worked in 1956 -- only 9,700 mi and 5 months apart! Not to mention there were no commercial jets yet then!! :lol::wacko:

...you'd know...since you were there...

Sweden? Interested in a future Stockholm Winter Olympics? After they bailed out in this one? I think not.

Ideally there should be no joint bids, but this one could work due to no more physical border checks etc thanks to the Schengen area and as pointed out numerous times, Copenhagen would inevitably use Malmo's infrastructure anyways.

Two more US cities right next to each other include Tampa/St.Petersburg.

Yeah, but there's that big body of water, called Tampa Bay, in the way of those two. The city limit borders of Minneapolis/St.Paul literally touch each other, though.

Archived