Paris To Launch Feasibility Study of Possible 2024 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it was a wise move for the French to bid for winter 2018? And it still didn't stop the stubborn Spaniards to bid for 2016. Had Paris bid for 2020, I woulda been willing to bet that they woulda got 2020 instead of Tokyo. But for reasons other only the French NOC would know, they chose to try to go after winter games, instead of refraining & going after Summer 2020 instead.

Probably not. We talk about the USOC focusing on landing a Summer Olympics rather than any Olympics. That should go double for France. Don't know why they went with Annecy. They should keep pushing Paris. Doesn't mean they should be throwing them out there in every cycle, but for a nation is without a Summer Olympics for a century and has 1 of the world's most iconic cities, that should be their focus.

It's encouraging that there have been moves by both Paris and New York to consider throwing their hats into the ring for 2024 after years of denying any possible interest from either city. But if they play their cards right, I think Paris just has to be the favourite and, if they do play their cards right, I find it difficult to see how the IOC would want to reject them for a 4th time!

A possible South African entry might be a tempting distraction to some IOC members but, following Rio 2016, I think they may want to wait out at least another cycle before going down the new frontiers route again. That said, going into a contest like this as the favourite doesn't, as we well know, guarantee anything. It will still be all to play for but, unless politics raises it's ugly head again, who wouldn't want to see a centennial games in La Ville Lumière? ;)

I really wouldn't get too excited about New York. Their mayor is still not on board for a bid, he has the final say in the matter. And they also would be lagging behind, as far as planning goes, against Los Angeles, which they already seem to have the most motion right off the starting gate than any other U.S. city at this point.

Even Paris is a few steps ahead of anything New York has done. By starting the motion & sending people to various recent Olympic cities to check things out, & getting ready to start feasibility studies. Plus, with France, it's either Paris or bust. In the U.S., there's still a domestic process that the USOC has to go through. At this point, Los Angeles seems to be the likely 2024 candidate, if the USOC decides to bid afterall, that is.

Looking at the EU election results in France, I'm not too thrilled by the idea of handing 2024 to a country where extreme righ-wingers are the biggest party.

Give the French five years with them and the right-wingers will be out. Even then the extreme right in Europe is growing at an alarming rate, partially because of the economy and the idea that things were better or would be better if the EU did not exist.

It's encouraging that there have been moves by both Paris and New York to consider throwing their hats into the ring for 2024 after years of denying any possible interest from either city. But if they play their cards right, I think Paris just has to be the favourite and, if they do play their cards right, I find it difficult to see how the IOC would want to reject them for a 4th time!

The IOC wants the best candidate to host the Olympics. The term "best" could refer to any number of things, be it technical marks or geopolitical factors or whatever other intangibles are out there. If, by those standards, the majority of the IOC thinks Paris is the best bid, they'll win. If there's another bid out there that's better, the IOC will have no hesitation whatsoever over choosing that other bid over Paris.

Give the French five years with them and the right-wingers will be out. Even then the extreme right in Europe is growing at an alarming rate, partially because of the economy and the idea that things were better or would be better if the EU did not exist.

2024 vote would have happened within these five years. Can you imagine Marine Le Pen winning the French President elections in early 2017 abd then go to the IOC session inviting the world to her capital, while her policies are about getting half the world out of her country/not letting them in? Do we even know the FN stance on an Olympic bid? Maybe they would object anyway.

That said, an Olympic bid is now one of France's lesser worries.

2024 vote would have happened within these five years. Can you imagine Marine Le Pen winning the French President elections in early 2017 abd then go to the IOC session inviting the world to her capital, while her policies are about getting half the world out of her country/not letting them in? Do we even know the FN stance on an Olympic bid? Maybe they would object anyway.

That said the Olympics is now one of Europe's lesser worries, God knows what Europe will look like if Marine Le Pen and her "Euroskeptics" get their way with the EU. God bless Europe, your are going to need all the blessings you can get these next five years.

Hear comes President Marine Le Pen for President it's looking like and the May 2017 are the next elections and the 2024 host city will get pick months after good Bye Paris France 2024 and 2028 Olympics Hopes, All the Business are now running out of France and looks like after it lot more people will be running away, This damage will have an big impact for France for the rest of the century, France days are gone and Germany and Russia are Europe future.

Hear comes President Marine Le Pen for President it's looking like and the May 2017 are the next elections and the 2024 host city will get pick months after good Bye Paris France 2024 and 2028 Olympics Hopes, All the Business are now running out of France and looks like after it lot more people will be running away, This damage will have an big impact for France for the rest of the century, France days are gone and Germany and Russia are Europe future.

Point one : Marine Le Pen hasn't won an election. Her party came first in a European election boycotted by nearly 60% of the French electors. What's more that election was a single round proportional representation election where any minority party gets a say. Presidential and parliamentary elections in France are a two round affair were deals are struck between main parties between the first and second round. There isn't a single party in France who'll strike any deal with her. Result? Le Pen hasn't got a chance in hell of ever getting elected.

Point two : considering the fact that the ioc has awarded previous games to such wonderful democracies as China and Russia, one could be forgiven for thinking that, in the eyes of the ioc - repeat- in the eyes of the ioc, a France run by Marine Le Pen (which will never happen!) is "a.good.thing" !! ^_^

Point three : re France's future, was it Mark Twain who is (mis)quoted as having said "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" ? :D

This has been explained before. And thanks for doing so again Frency, it saves me the time. I'm not surprised we're gettnig the usual gleeful over-exaggerated bullshit from GCL we get whenever there seems to be doubt about Paris. :rolleyes:-_-

Last time a Le Pen reached the run off there was a landslide victory for the "anyone but Le Pen" candidate in the run-off. The same would happen again. France will certainly unite to keep the far-right away from the Presidency as it has done so before.

Just for comparison, the UK today elected more UKIP MEPs to the European Parliament than any other party. But Labour, the main party of the left, should win next year's General Election. The European Parliament elections are used as a stick to beat mainstream politics with and because they're the only PR elections we have that shows up starkly. That, combined with the EU-wide dissatisfaction with the European project and the Lib Dems' role in government (they used to pick up the large protest vote in Euro elections) has played into UKIP's hands.

But...despite this swing towards a right-wing party with its fair share of nutters, Labour will probably win the next General election.

France will follow a similar pattern. I find it extremely hard to believe Le Pen would ever win the Presidency, and these results don't alter my view on that.

This has been explained before. And thanks for doing so again Frency, it saves me the time. I'm not surprised we're gettnig the usual gleeful over-exaggerated bullshit from GCL we get whenever there seems to be doubt about Paris. :rolleyes:-_-

Last time a Le Pen reached the run off there was a landslide victory for the "anyone but Le Pen" candidate in the run-off. The same would happen again. France will certainly unite to keep the far-right away from the Presidency as it has done so before.

Just for comparison, the UK today elected more UKIP MEPs to the European Parliament than any other party. But Labour, the main party of the left, should win next year's General Election. The European Parliament elections are used as a stick to beat mainstream politics with and because they're the only PR elections we have that shows up starkly. That, combined with the EU-wide dissatisfaction with the European project and the Lib Dems' role in government (they used to pick up the large protest vote in Euro elections) has played into UKIP's hands.

But...despite this swing towards a right-wing party with its fair share of nutters, Labour will probably win the next General election.

France will follow a similar pattern. I find it extremely hard to believe Le Pen would ever win the Presidency, and these results don't alter my view on that.

That when her Dad run for President they may have the same blood but they are different people Marine Le Pen is more Favorited then her Dad she is more moderate then her Dad, I think that if Nicolas Sarkozy does not run again in 2017 and move back from London then political Scientist haves Marine Le Pen as the next President of France.

That when her Dad run for President they may have the same blood but they are different people Marine Le Pen is more Favorited then her Dad she is more moderate then her Dad, I think that if Nicolas Sarkozy does not run again in 2017 and move back from London then political Scientist haves Marine Le Pen as the next President of France.

Have you been taking your pills?

And BTW, WTF is a "political Scientist" ?

:wacko:

Oh not this ridiculous talk again. Le Pen will NOT be president between now and 2024.

The European Parliament is far from being under a majority of eurosceptics or euro-haters.

I don't think any Paris 2024 bid is less likely now than it was last week.

Archived