Paris To Launch Feasibility Study of Possible 2024 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

Apart from Paris and a possible US (LA, Chicago or at a stretch, NY)entrant, we could have another three European cities and a possible South African bid.

The mayor of Chicago has already given a definite 'no' to another bid. At least for 2024 anyway.

It's seemingly looking more likely (especially after they recently uped the ante with their recent venue plan "leak") that Los Angeles would be the 2024 U.S. candidate it the USOC finally decides to bid.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mayor of Chicago has already given a definite 'no' to another bid. At least for 2024 anyway.

It's seemingly looking more likely (especially after they recently uped the ante with their recent venue plan "leak") that Los Angeles would be the 2024 U.S. candidate it the USOC finally decides to bid.

I hope so...what a battle it will be!

This Durban talk is rubbish I know an famous sports person who lives in Durban Peter Pollock he said to me that Durban is still small to host an Olympics Games and either Johannesburg or Cape Town would be an better city for it he is an sporting hero in South Africa.

Paris would be up against a tough Berlin and Los Angeles or New York City to get the 2024 Summer Games if they bid it will be no walk in the park and Germany got an geopolitical advantage in Europe as France is in Northern Europe and just hosted the games with London Geopolitics would say it's Central Europe turn next, Berlin is the capital city of the superpower of Europe and the United Germany has not hosted an Games yet and got an better story 35 years after the fall of the Berlin wall, This would be Germany 4th Games and France already hosted 5 games.

Hmm, sound a lot like that Perth BS you seem to talk up every day.

NYC is not going to be bidding, sorry to pop that bubble.

I see Paris starting a committee, last we heard from Germany was that Hamburg (far from the idealistic Berlin or Munich) was strongly thinking about it. Paris has made much more of an effort.

When most of us say Durban we are also talking about South Africa in general

I love how a lot of this discussion is talking about the Parisians and their feelings and how devastated they might be if they didn't get picked again. I agree there's some merit to the whole concept, but (and maybe this is wrong of me to say) get over it, France. You know the stakes of the game and if you can't handle the emotional heartbreak of losing, you're not going to get a lot of sympathy from the rest of the world on that one. Maybe Paris would step back for a cycle or 2 in response to another loss, but they just watched perhaps their biggest rival of a city host a very successful Olympics, so they're going to want a piece of that action as well.

Plus, look at Paris's past defeats.. 1992 they got screwed out of, no disrespect meant to Barcelona who put on an excellent games. 2008 was never going to be theirs up against Beijing. And 2012, they lost a really close election to London where a couple of votes could have swung the election in their favor. It's not like the USOC who fielded 2012 and 2016 bids with terrible results and it caused them (wisely so) to take a step back and re-evaluate themselves. I don't know what Paris's reaction will be to a 2024 loss. Might depend on the circumstances, who they lose to and when they lose to them. But again, if there's a full field of qualified bidders here, by default, only 1 of them can win and the others all walk away as losers. It shouldn't be incumbent upon the IOC to base their decision on whose feelings might get hurt or who will or won't bid again.

Again, how is that any different from the USOC saying that they'll only bid if they have a "winnable" bid even though a 'winnable' bid could still very well.. well lose. The USOC finishing fourth shouldn't have much to do with it, since just as there could only be one winner, "someone also has to finish last". That's at least how many of our foreign members here saw it.

And then some of the Americans on here talking about how the USOC has been "making good will these past couple of years with the IOC", with the election of Anita DeFrantz to the Executive Board, & the new revenue deal workout & saying that it would be a huge slap in the face if they USOC bid again & lost after all that hard work to build relations between the two organizations back up.

Yeah, at the end of the day the IOC might not give a flying fukc over whose "feelings" they hurt, but most bids go in this thing to WIN, not to say to themselves "well, we could walk away from this as losers". That's not human nature. That's not being optimistic & an approach like that isn't going to do a bid campaign any favors. I'm not aware of a major one to date that has taken such a strategy. You don't hire all those consultants, draw up all those plans & make all those presentations to think that way.

Most of us here really don't know exactly how the French would react to another loss (well, actually I think we could have a good inkling). But I could at least say that it most likely wouldn't be that much different from how many Americans would react to another American loss.

I love how people have high hopes for an exciting 2024 race.

I wasn't yet an active member here at the time, but I guess there were equally high hopes for the 2022 race about 15 months ago, with a potential Swiss-German-Norwegian-etc showdown. And look what we've got instead.

I'll believe any bid once it's posted to Lausanne by the deadline, Paris, LA, Berlin whatever...

last we heard from Germany was that Hamburg (far from the idealistic Berlin or Munich) was strongly thinking about it.

I really wouldn't classify Hamburg as 'far from idealistic' (well, but they gotta get over this silly joint Copenhagen idea, though). I'd categorize it as the Chicago or San Francisco of Germany. A large, important, scenic port city in its own right. But a lot of times forgotten about bcuz of it's more popular bigger sisters Berlin, Munich & even the Rhine region.

Again, how is that any different from the USOC saying that they'll only bid if they have a "winnable" bid even though a 'winnable' bid could still very well.. well lose. The USOC finishing fourth shouldn't have much to do with it, since just as there could only be one winner, "someone also has to finish last". That's at least how many of our foreign members here saw it.

And then some of the Americans on here talking about how the USOC has been "making good will these past couple of years with the IOC", with the election of Anita DeFrantz to the Executive Board, & the new revenue deal workout & saying that it would be a huge slap in the face if they USOC bid again & lost after all that hard work to build relations between the two organizations back up.

Yeah, at the end of the day the IOC might not give a flying fukc over whose "feelings" they hurt, but most bids go in this thing to WIN, not to say to themselves "well, we could walk away from this as losers". That's not human nature. That's not being optimistic & an approach like that isn't going to do a bid campaign any favors. I'm not aware of a major one to date that has taken such a strategy. You don't hire all those consultants, draw up all those plans & make all those presentations to think that way.

Most of us here really don't know exactly how the French would react to another loss (well, actually I think we could have a good inkling). But I could at least say that it most likely wouldn't be that much different from how many Americans would react to another American loss.

Americans would not care, most American do not even have a clue we are bidding. We did not give a crap when NYC, and only Chicago cared about their lost. The US has yet to have truly national bid that could cause the kind of upset a lost Paris bid would have.

I love how people have high hopes for an exciting 2024 race.

I wasn't yet an active member here at the time, but I guess there were equally high hopes for the 2022 race about 15 months ago, with a potential Swiss-German-Norwegian-etc showdown. And look what we've got instead.

I'll believe any bid once it's posted to Lausanne by the deadline, Paris, LA, Berlin whatever...

TBH, I would not be surprised if only LA and Paris were the most likely candidates and only ones in the race (with the normal Baku, Doha, and Istanbul).

It's not the number of bidders it's the cities and nations that make it exciting, both LA and Paris are giving this bid everything they have and the moment in which we all stare at our laptop/desktops watching 100 IOC members decide which one of those cities will host the Olympics for a third time will be the most exciting moment here since 2005.

Also 15 months ago we were talking about how weak the candidate field was for 2022, then we saw a huge number of cities get interested towards November and now we are back at square one. 2022 and 2020 have been the least exciting races in recent memory.

I really wouldn't classify Hamburg as 'far from idealistic' (well, but they gotta get over this silly joint Copenhagen idea, though). I'd categorize it as the Chicago or San Francisco of Germany. A large, important, scenic port city in its own right. But a lot of times forgotten about bcuz of it's more popular bigger sisters Berlin, Munich & even the Rhine region.

The heart of a German summer games bid would be reunification. In that sense Hamburg is far from the ideal city, although it's beautiful and would be a great host, it is not the ideal German city to celebrate reunification and the new Germany in. Berlin, a city divided for almost fifty years and the capitol city of the EU's Superpower nation would be much more ideal for the next German games.

Keep in mind Berlin has a good bit of venues remaining from the Nazilympics, Hamburg would have to build much more.

As a German I'm surprised that the reunification is still seen as a strong bid narrative, at least for Berlin. By 2024, the earliest (and IMO unlikely) next hosting available for Germany, reunification will have been a thing of 34 years in the past. The huge majority of athletes participating would have been born afterwards.

The more time passes, the more this will fade, not in a historic sense, but as an emotion trigger in a bid, I think.

As a German I'm surprised that the reunification is still seen as a strong bid narrative, at least for Berlin. By 2024, the earliest (and IMO unlikely) next hosting available for Germany, reunification will have been a thing of 34 years in the past. The huge majority of athletes participating would have been born afterwards.

The more time passes, the more this will fade, not in a historic sense, but as an emotion trigger in a bid, I think.

I see what you mean, but I think it's still a strong chord to play. Not as strong as it was in '93, but I think it still remains a very emotional chord; especially when you take into account how successful it was and the continues good health of the nation.

Americans would not care, most American do not even have a clue we are bidding. We did not give a crap when NYC, and only Chicago cared about their lost. The US has yet to have truly national bid that could cause the kind of upset a lost Paris bid would have.

Yeah, but the American media & most of the American posters here did make a big deal about it then. A lot of Americans don't give a crap about most things if it doesn't directly involve them. But when it comes to national pride (just like in any other country) they do care, whether the topic at hand was particularly popular or not.

The heart of a German summer games bid would be reunification. In that sense Hamburg is far from the ideal city, although it's beautiful and would be a great host, it is not the ideal German city to celebrate reunification and the new Germany in. Berlin, a city divided for almost fifty years and the capitol city of the EU's Superpower nation would be much more ideal for the next German games.

Keep in mind Berlin has a good bit of venues remaining from the Nazilympics, Hamburg would have to build much more.

What makes you so sure of this, though. Any future German Summer Olympic bid should be about the future & not about the distance past at that point. If all Germany's "chord" is going to be about reunification, then they better think of another narrative. I can see reunification being in the background someone, but they certainly shouldn't make it a focal point of a bid.

Much like France (should they bid) shouldn't make a bid about their 'centennial' or South Africa making it about how they went from apartheid to democracy, but about moving forward & how they could make the Olympic Movement move forward as well. In that respect, Hamburg makes just as good a sense (if not moreso) as Berlin.

*somehow.

So in other words.. you agree with me entirely? Not exactly sure what point you're trying to make here. If we're going to talk about these bidders being emotionally fragile, then it's something for us to acknowledge (or at least another worthless talking point). The French aren't going into a bid thinking about that possibility. That's for Internet forums like this one and media types to mull over. It's just like how the media took the 2016 vote and blew it out of proportion just how distraught the USOC was over finishing last in the voting (as if your placement matters.. who knows if it would have made a difference for 2020). If Paris bids for 2024, they're not taking a "we might lose" approach to it. No crap that's not a strategy worth taking. But again, if we're talking about what Paris may or may not do if they were to lose 2024, then obviously some here are thinking that way.

Yeah, but the American media & most of the American posters here did make a big deal about it then. A lot of Americans don't give a crap about most things if it doesn't directly involve them. But when it comes to national pride (just like in any other country) they do care, whether the topic at hand was particularly popular or not.

Most Americans have no clue we are even bidding for the games. America has five games to pick from, we should not be expecting to win 2024 and should not care if we loose.

What makes you so sure of this, though. Any future German Summer Olympic bid should be about the future & not about the distance past at that point. If all Germany's "chord" is going to be about reunification, then they better think of another narrative. I can see reunification being in the background someone, but they certainly shouldn't make it a focal point of a bid.

Much like France (should they bid) shouldn't make a bid about their 'centennial' or South Africa making it about how they went from apartheid to democracy, but about moving forward & how they could make the Olympic Movement move forward as well. In that respect, Hamburg makes just as good a sense (if not moreso) as Berlin.

*somehow.

I still disagree, Germany's future is/was dependent on reunification and from an economic, emotional, and national level using the Olympics to celebrate the new united Germany would evoke very strong emotions among the IOC. Much more then Paris boasting about a centennial.

I'd say Paris is already looking like the favorite before they even need to bid.

I could see them potentially losing to a South African bid, while i'd rather Paris, some IOC members might want to go to Africa for the first time.

However, I really can't see them losing to USA. It would be a slap in the face for the French after losing in 2012 being the favorites and then again in 2024. Paris does have more failed bids under their belt then the USA, plus NYC and Chicago came last whereas Paris has come 2nd, 3rd and 2nd.

Like FYI said, South Africa could beat a Paris bid but I can't see the USA upsetting Paris and if they did, i'm sure the French would just stop bothering.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the US has lost more Olympic bids than any other country.

Also, I'm not sure "give us the Games or we'll never bid again" is going to be an effective campaign strategy,

So in other words.. you agree with me entirely? Not exactly sure what point you're trying to make here. If we're going to talk about these bidders being emotionally fragile, then it's something for us to acknowledge (or at least another worthless talking point). But again, if we're talking about what Paris may or may not do if they were to lose 2024, then obviously some here are thinking that way.

If the IOC isn't going to care whether or not they hurt France's feelings, then why should they care if they hurt the Americans feelings (which is what some on here are seemingly implying with the reasoning I gave earlier). That's what I'm trying to get across.

If they do care, then they'll care on both ends. But if they don't, then they won't care on either end. But the implication can't be made (by some) that it matters in one way but it doesn't on the other. It's one or the other. And of course, how boring would these "discussion" boards be without all these 'worthless talking points'. :-P

Most Americans have no clue we are even bidding for the games. America has five games to pick from, we should not be expecting to win 2024 and should not care if we loose.

But we're not bidding, at least yet. The USOC still has to make official & actually decide whether they'll bid or not towards the end of the year.

And no, the U.S. does not really have 'five games to choose from'. The IOC has to make that final determination which is still years away. And while yeah, we shouldn't expect to win 2024, there's already been some media outlets caring enough to write about how the latest NBC deal could effect a potential 2024 Olympic bid.

I still disagree, Germany's future is/was dependent on reunification and from an economic, emotional, and national level using the Olympics to celebrate the new united Germany would evoke very strong emotions among the IOC. Much more then Paris boasting about a centennial.

Then let's just agree to disagree then. Cuz I think you're being way too presumptuous that such a narrative "would evoke very strong emotions among the IOC". It's not like Rio using "finally give the Games to South America", something very tangible that the IOC felt compelled enough to finally heed.

Germany hasn't really been neglected from the Olympic family. They've hosted three Olynpic Games, & whether they were in "west/east Germany is mainly semantics. They would need more than just reunification. Again, I could see that as part of a bid, but it certainly can't be their main driving force, especially this far out (& even further by the time a bid were to arise) from actual 'reunification'.

Also, I'm not sure "give us the Games or we'll never bid again" is going to be an effective campaign strategy,

Who says that'd be a campaign strategy of theirs, though. That's like saying the U.S. would use "we've given you a new, & much more lucrative revenue deal, & whose business' contribute the most to your organization. So now gives us the Games, or we'll really be very, very upset with you".

If the IOC isn't going to care whether or not they hurt France's feelings, then why should they care if they hurt the Americans feelings (which is what some on here are seemingly implying with the reasoning I gave earlier). That's what I'm trying to get across.

If they do care, then they'll care on both ends. But if they don't, then they won't care on either end. But the implication can't be made (by some) that it matters in one way but it doesn't on the other. It's one or the other. And of course, how boring would these "discussion" boards be without all these 'worthless talking points'. :-P

They don't. So yea, we're on the same page here trying to get across the exact same point. Paris didn't decline to bid for 2016 because they were butthurt by losing 2012 to London. They probably didn't feel it was a wise move for them to bid for 2016. So they didn't bid. Ditto for the USOC and 2020. Yes, hindsight may say otherwise, but that's why it's an argument in hindsight, not in foresight.

So it was a wise move for the French to bid for winter 2018? And it still didn't stop the stubborn Spaniards to bid for 2016. Had Paris bid for 2020, I woulda been willing to bet that they woulda got 2020 instead of Tokyo. But for reasons other only the French NOC would know, they chose to try to go after winter games, instead of refraining & going after Summer 2020 instead.

So it was a wise move for the French to bid for winter 2018? And it still didn't stop the stubborn Spaniards to bid for 2016. Had Paris bid for 2020, I woulda been willing to bet that they woulda got 2020 instead of Tokyo. But for reasons other only the French NOC would know, they chose to try to go after winter games, instead of refraining & going after Summer 2020 instead.

Maybe they assumed they could pull of another Albertville and expected the IOC to give them 2018 as a consolation prize of sorts for 2012. That could also explain why they were crushed and felt more betrayed after inevitably loosing.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the US has lost more Olympic bids than any other country.

Well Paris hasn't said that but it seems that a lot of people on these forums have acknowledged that this is the attitude they may have, so i'm sure some IOC members feel the same way.

I was referring to the summer games.

1992, 2008, 2012- Paris

2012- NYC

2016- Chicago

I'm not going as far back as 1980 to reference failed bids by USA.

USA hosted in 1996 (on their first bid and 12 years after hosting the summer games), France in 1924 (Summer). Not only has Paris waited longer but they ranked higher in the evaluations then NYC did in 2012 and if you compare the marks they were higher then Chicago for 2016.

So i'm ranking Paris's chances higher then any US bid.

Archived