Future Winter Olympic Sports !

1. Downhill Ice Cross (downhill skating, similar to Ski Cross and Snowboard Cross)
  2. Synchronized Skating (8-20 skaters on a team)
  3. Ice Climbing
  4. Acroski (also called Ski Ballet, was a Freestyle Skiing discipline)
  5. Skibobbing (a bicycle-type frame attached to skis)
  6. Skiboarding (combined of Skating, Snowboarding and Skiing)
  7. Ski Mountaineering (combined of Telemark, Alpine and Backcountry Skiing)
  8. Ski Orienteering (combined with physical endurance, strength and technical skiing skills)
  9. Bandy (associated with Football and Ice Hockey)
  10. Broomball (played in a hockey rink)
  11. Snowshoeing (footwear for walking or running over the snow)
  12. Snowbiking (Cycling on snow)
  13. Ski Archery (similar to the Biathlon, used a bow instead of a gun)
  14. Winter Triathlon (involving running, biking and skiing)
  15. Snow Rugby
  16. Wok Racing (used woks running down on a Bobsled track)
  17. Ice Stock (similar to Curling)
  18. Others

What are you ideal future Winter Olympic Sports?

The new concept of winter triathlon is:

participants will
snowshoe (5K), speed skate (12K) and ski (Cross country) (8K), for a total of 25K.

The first big problem I see is the speed skating oval is always located away from the mountain. Not sure how they will incorporate this into a WOG schedule. Otherwise cities would need to build a temporary oval in the mountains (possibly outdoors) and this would add costs. Additional costs = not good in the eyes of the IOC.

participants will

snowshoe (5K), speed skate (12K) and ski (Cross country) (8K), for a total of 25K.

Source

The first big problem I see is the speed skating oval is always located away from the mountain. Not sure how they will incorporate this into a WOG schedule. Otherwise cities would need to build a temporary oval in the mountains (possibly outdoors) and this would add costs. Additional costs = not good in the eyes of the IOC.

i wonder why instead of skating why they don't choose snowboarding instead???

participants will

Or we can replace skate to snow biking

I suggest Alpinism.

It's the only other "real" ice/snow sport that needs to be added. But there are a number of problems:

1) How do you decide who wins? A race would encourage the bad tendencies in climbing that value speed over technical skill and safety.

2) How do you make it work for television?

3) What about places that don't have huge mountains? You need a 9,000 ft mountain at least. Climbing in the Alps or Rockies would work, but what about another host in Eastern North America, Eastern Europe, Australia, etc?

If anything the OWG needs to be downsizing - not upsizing.

The bigger question is - what sports can be cut?

The IOC allowed 12 medal events to be added 3 years out from Sochi but refused to add medal events for Rio (remaining quota neutral).That indicates the OWG are able to grow.

At this point I see no need for any sport to be dropped. The sliding sports though need to come up with a more cost effective venue.

I know this is not popular here, but I would love to see synchronized skating adding. A few reasons:

-Like ice dance, synchronized skating emphasizes base skating skills (edge work and such) that to many hardcore skating fans are really exciting. It's not all about jumps!

-Synchronized skating can be a gender neutral sport (there are some mixed gender teams that compete). This is really appealing to me.

-Synchronized skating is a discipline that brings in some countries that are not powerful in the other figure skating disciplines (OK, well, Finland and Norway at least)

-This is maybe my biggest reason: synchronized skating has a very different atmosphere at the events. Check out some YouTube vids. It is a party atmosphere, tons of cheering and excitement, a totally different feel than that of other skating disciplines. It's really fun.

The drawbacks:

-Admittedly, it's a lot of athletes. The synchro world championships have 10 teams, and each team has 20 athletes.

-Figuring out if there is ice time for both this, the traditional skating events, and short track. There definitely would be if they cut the figure skating team trophy but Speedy isn't going to want to give that up. I'd much rather see synchro than the team, myself, though.

I know this is not popular here, but I would love to see synchronized skating adding. A few reasons:

-Like ice dance, synchronized skating emphasizes base skating skills (edge work and such) that to many hardcore skating fans are really exciting. It's not all about jumps!

-Synchronized skating can be a gender neutral sport (there are some mixed gender teams that compete). This is really appealing to me.

-Synchronized skating is a discipline that brings in some countries that are not powerful in the other figure skating disciplines (OK, well, Finland and Norway at least)

-This is maybe my biggest reason: synchronized skating has a very different atmosphere at the events. Check out some YouTube vids. It is a party atmosphere, tons of cheering and excitement, a totally different feel than that of other skating disciplines. It's really fun.

The drawbacks:

-Admittedly, it's a lot of athletes. The synchro world championships have 10 teams, and each team has 20 athletes.

-Figuring out if there is ice time for both this, the traditional skating events, and short track. There definitely would be if they cut the figure skating team trophy but Speedy isn't going to want to give that up. I'd much rather see synchro than the team, myself, though.

There is a few days before the men's hockey events begin so it could squeeze in there.

The chance:

1. Downhill Ice Cross (98% more and more popular, example Crashed Ice, mainly Youth sport)
  2. Synchronized Skating (40%, too many athletes)
  3. Ice Climbing (30%)
  4. Acroski (50%, may be popular again, both Youth and Senior sport)
  5. Skibobbing (80%, very exciting, both Youth and Senior sport)
  6. Skiboarding (50%, may be popular, mainly Youth sport)
  7. Ski Mountaineering (30%, with limited condition and specified location)
  8. Ski Orienteering (50%)
  9. Bandy (70%, winner only goes to Russia, Sweden or Finland)
  10. Broomball (30%, popular in Canada, similar to Bandy and Ice Hockey)
  11. Snowshoeing (40%)
  12. Snowbiking (50%, Cycling on snow)
  13. Ski Archery (40%,similar to the Biathlon, used a bow instead of a gun)
  14. Winter Triathlon (50%, involving running, biking and skiing)
  15. Snow Rugby (30%, Rugby in winter, may not be adopted by the Olympics)
  16. Wok Racing (5%, possibly better for recreation event)
  17. Ice Stock (3% similar to Curling)
  18. Others

Archived