Where is the home of football?

In another thread its been suggested that outside of Great Britain, we aren't seen as the home of football. Im posting the question here so as not to derail that thread any further.

Im British so I always saw it as one of the sports we gifted to the world, Ive always been quite proud of that sporting heritage, even though Im not a football fan.

I know in Rogges speech at the start of the Olympics he said that Great Britain is seen as the place where a lot of sports where given rules and such, but globally is Great Britain not seen as the home of football, or is it just someone trying to get a reaction.

Im interested.

England is the home of football, you gave us rules, badges and soul to the sport.

I think the word cradle would fit better, since anyone can have many homes.

The problem is if somebody says Brazil is the home of football (because of its history in sport, or the huge stadium Brazilians built to celebrate it or because even the language carries a lot of football expression to define even love feelings), some few English gets mad with it.

Brazil can be dubbed also as home of football, it's not where the organizated sports born, but for sure where it reborn as an art.

Or even a way of life.

I'm convinced that Football/soccer was created/started thousands of years ago whether it was by the Ancient Greeks/Ancient Romans or the Chinese.

However, I will recognize that England did play a big role in starting FIFA and perhaps soccer in modern times. However that does not mean they created it.

As for the home of football it is hard to determine. Do you determine it as where the first official game was held? Do you determine it as the country that is the best at soccer? Do you determine it by the country that has won the mot FIFA world cup tournaments?

I personally don't think any country has the right to the home of a sport. Everyone shares it.

About language expressions sometimes it seems half of Brazilian portuguese is made of football terms.

If a relationship is over, you have been "kicked back to a corner kick".

If some business is stuck, the situation is a "0-0 tie"

If some party is big, it's like "a world cup final".

If you do something wrong at the school you "get a red card" some teachers even carry them.

And there are hundreds more.

I do think its fair to say that while the rules were formulated in Britain, the world has definitely embraced and run with it.

I think you need to always respect anything or anyones heritage as its part of its glory and its definitely fair to say a similar game was surely played many years before Britain formulated the rules, so we don't really ever know who to credit as the real home.

Brasil has definitely embraced it in a very wonderful and passionate way. I think you just need to be aware of footballs journey, and respect where its from, what its become and what it could be in the future. Ignoring or dismissing that heritage is doing a great disservice to the game, its heritage is part of what makes it great.

As I pointed in other thread, if English didn't invented football, other people would vreate some kick-balls-to-score-something-sport. We have no ways to know if it would be less or more popular and about organizing rules and give teams colors, badges and an aura, aboht this English were perfect IMO

England is the family home, where football was born, grew up from a boy into a young man, and became what he was. The rules were created in the family home, discipline instilled, fair play always important. The decor is old-fashioned, stuck in the 60s, and clearly won't win any prizes, but it's homely and reassuring. The family comes over for a roast every weekend knowing in their hearts nobody else does it quite like Mum.

Brazil is the home it moved into once it got married, had kids, and wanted to make its mark on the world. A beautiful house in a sunny location, kids always kicking a ball against the fence in the back garden. An eye for style, he keeps promising to redecorate before guests arrive but inevitibly - with rowdy kids to deal with - it only gets done in a last minute rush. The only small problem is the noisy neighbour, Argentina, moaning about the size of the hedges and who they belong to.

Football works in Germany where he's direct and efficient at what he does. And he holidays in the Netherlands where he's able to let his hair down in style.

But he's getting old now, and the football family is full of infighting. So he is moved to Qatar, a hot, cramped retirement flat that nobody wants to visit with faltering air conditioning, where he'll see out his final days, unable to even enjoy the simple pleasure of a beer or two.

England is the family home, where football was born, grew up from a boy into a young man, and became what he was. The rules were created in the family home, discipline instilled, fair play always important. The decor is old-fashioned, stuck in the 60s, and clearly won't win any prizes, but it's homely and reassuring. The family comes over for a roast every weekend knowing in their hearts nobody else does it quite like Mum.

Brazil is the home it moved into once it got married, had kids, and wanted to make its mark on the world. A beautiful house in a sunny location, kids always kicking a ball against the fence in the back garden. An eye for style, he keeps promising to redecorate before guests arrive but inevitibly - with rowdy kids to deal with - it only gets done in a last minute rush. The only small problem is the noisy neighbour, Argentina, moaning about the size of the hedges and who they belong to.

Football works in Germany where he's direct and efficient at what he does. And he holidays in the Netherlands where he's able to let his hair down in style.

But he's getting old now, and the football family is full of infighting. So he is moved to Qatar, a hot, cramped retirement flat that nobody wants to visit with faltering air conditioning, where he'll see out his final days, unable to even enjoy the simple pleasure of a beer or two.

Quite possibly the best post I have ever read on Gamesbids : )

England is the family home, where football was born, grew up from a boy into....

This is brilliant. Could easily be part of any football-related website or newspaper.

Congratulations!!!

Quite possibly the best post I have ever read on Gamesbids : )

Agreed

This is a real "end of" about this subject.

The idea of kicking a ball about is probably almost as old as humankind. The ancient Greeks, Romans, Chinese, medieval Europe (including England) and many other civilisations all had various games that involved a ball and foot contact. There can be no arguments about that.

However, the rules and format of the modern game, as played all over the world today, were devised and set by the Footbal Association of England in 1863 and it was therefore originally called 'Association Football'. The name 'Soccer' which many countries call it, especially in the USA to distinguish it from their own version, is just an abbreviatied form of ' association'. There can be no arguments about that.

In short: pretty much the entire world can claim to be the home of 'football' but England (and Scotland) can justifiably claim to be the home of modern football!

Sexist essay!! ;)

The reality is that football has no definitive home. Unlike the Olympics, which were clearly born in Greece, football has been so cosmopolitan for so much of its existence that I really think no place quite qualifies as "home." Both Brazil and the UK have huge fan bases which makes them exciting locales for football matches, but I wouldn't go further than that.

If we take to national teams, I think no people is more blind passionate and sometimes even violent about its national team than Argentines.

No matter what is the score, if they are losing 4-0, they keep singing and backing the team (this is something Brazilians really must learn from them - the supporting while losing).

Well, hockey was for sure invented in Canada, and lacrosse was codified by a Canadian. Five-pin bowling and basketball were created by Canadians, there's no disputing that, and the first modern baseball game was most likely played in Canada. McGill University was also a part of one of the earliest games of American Football. We also invented ringette too.

But I think something like 6 of the world's 10 most popular sports were created or codified in Britain. Badminton, Ping Pong, Tennis, Golf, Rugby, Cricket, Soccer

Maybe football's grandparents would be from Ancient Rome and China. Both with different traditions and culture that was intertwined. They set up the roots for football, though very basic and unalike. They provided the base and template of him. But shortly after, football grew up slightly different than before. He had become a mesh of his contemporary parents and his traditional grandparents.

Without his grandparents, football wouldn't be the him he is today.

Without his parents, football wouldn't be the him he is today.

But football is him, and although getting old, his descendants have flourished in new areas around the world.

His descendants may have changed while living in different cultures, but football is football

and that is all that matters.

Let us not argue about where football calls home.

His teachings and fandom have been passed down

to his descendants who've been following in his footsteps,

whilst settling, and claiming new home.

All for their father,

they are making this world

football's new home

I thought the Aztecs had a similar game.

The Aztec's ballgame involved the use of the knees and elbows to get the ball through the hoop, which sounds more like basketball.

Archived