Sign in to follow this  
Durban Sandshark

Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup Coverage

Interesting, there is no advertising coverage on Sky and linear channels for the 3rd/4th playoff. It's all for the grand final on Sunday. I guess the fight of the brides maids really doesn't matter huh? Even though there is still Fifa prize money in it for the teams.

The problem with the play off is that goals scored in it count towards the golden boot.

The problem with the play off is that goals scored in it count towards the golden boot.

3rd place playoffs in every sport count for statistics. You've helped your team into the semi-finals you can at least two more cracks at upping the statistics. There is no competition I know of that plays for 3rd place where the personal statistics of that game does not count to the overall statistics of the tournament.

Edited by Faster

Still doesn't make it right imho.

In Olympic tournaments this would be a bronze medal match so I it has meaning. So I can understand it more there.

But in the world cup, what you're basically doing is giving the losing semi-finalists the same chance to get a golden boot winner as the winning semi-finalists.

Edited by Rob.

About thematic video stuff, BBC is the one!

I'm really disappointed that ESPN has lost the World Cup rights for the next 8 years. They've done a phenomenal job with the 2010 and 2014 World Cups and the 2011 Women's World Cup. I think the growth in U.S. interest in the World Cup is due at least in small part to ESPN's coverage--they've brought in top announcers from Britain and a slew of analysts from around the world, and after a lot of criticism in 2006, they stopped dumbing down their broadcasts and instead treated viewers like educated soccer fans. I find most of ESPN's coverage of other sports to be overhyped and far too self-promotional, but the World Cup is the one event they've done right. I doubt FOX's coverage will be half as good--they've already decided to use American announcers with little experience calling soccer, and they've received poor reviews for their coverage of the Champions League. This is a situation in which FIFA probably would have been better off taking less money from ESPN in exchange for a much better presentation of the event. As it stands, FOX has big, big shoes to fill.

18 German newspapers the day after their 1-0 win over Argentina in the 2014 World Cup final

http://imgur.com/a/jyVWD

:)

The German phrase of "Moment of glory" is "Sternstunde", which fits with this moment really, good, since "Hour of the star" (which is the literally translation) connects the victory with the another star

Hey Wide Asleep. Is this channel available to most of the population? Plus is there much buzz yet about the World Cup there?

Ummm... Hi? I think you're a little over 6 months late? Not sure who 'Wide Asleep' (or do you literally mean you can't sleep [although that would be "wide awake"]) is but the BBC is the/a British Broadcasting Corp. that broadcasts to the UK via television, the internet, and radio. There are work arounds to view the network online however the World cup ended months ago in Brazil (hence FIFA World Cup 2014). Football/Soccer is a very popular sport in the UK and Brazil (seeing how Brazil was the host) so I must imagine that there was plenty buzz when it was still going on (however, the English National Team is a whole 'nother matter. hehe ;) ). The next world cup will be held on 2018 in Russia.

If the guy is asking if there is any buzz about the World Cup in Brazil 6 months later, the answer is no.

In fact, after the loss to Germany, it's like we never hosted any World Cup, somehow...

At work we were talking about it: it's like we didn't have World Cup this year...