Friend and Foe Emerge as Ukraine's Olympic Bid Sparks Intrigue

GBModerator

LOL...sorry, but this is ridiculous. If anything, after this article it's more likely Lviv gets kicked. Ukraine is given a symbolic prize (the "Innovative Leader Thomas Bach Support Fund"), and then they're made quiet and the IOC doesn't have to bother with their internal intrigue on top of the political turmoil.

With the IOC's desire to frequently stage the Winter Games in central Europe, Lviv might still have a fighting chance to survive the July shortlisting exercise.

Lviv just transfered from Eastern Europe to Central Europe :D Kraków is still Eastern Europe of course, according to Western media.

Some users ask why the public poll held nationwide in Poland looks so horrid? Here is one of the reasons. Lviv bid for some reason is more appreciated than the Krakow's bid.

Well, I have it on good authority that Almaty (roughly 4,000km East of Lviv) is in Europe.

Almaty is Asia.

Lviv is placed in Central Europe, so is Krakow.

Western (mostly American) media still use cold war parallel, and can't see that obvious cultural difference between Central and Eastern Europe.

Sorry, but I consider both Krakow and Lviv to be in eastern Europe. But then I also consider North and South America to be two separate continents. Most Europeans don't accept our definitiion of the Americas. Why should be accept their definition of central and eastern Europe? This is a cultural difference.

I don't see Bach's gesture as any sort of indication that the IOC is warming to Lviv's bid. If anything they're trying to soothe their own guilty consciences for praising Russia so lavishly despite the annexation. I can also imagine that this fund is intended to soften the blow of Lviv being the only city to be left off the 2022 shortlist.

Regardless, I see no evidence at all that Lviv's bid is strong enough to move forward.

I'm dying of laughter at this point! They still don't have their site up...this bid is the biggest troll to ever come onto this board.

...you said it...is this even serious?

Archived