Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

New York Considers 2024 Olympic Bid

SWEET JESUS I'M CRYING!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! Sorry for the obnoxious post. But I'm loving the news!!!

Btw, I haven't read any of the articles or posts yet.

Maybe you should, you know, actually read the content of the article before greeting all that excited. With all due respect to the folks that run this site, the headline is a little misleading. Not a first for that either

Maybe you should, you know, actually read the content of the article before greeting all that excited. With all due respect to the folks that run this site, the headline is a little misleading. Not a first for that either

I just did and now I don't feel confident. A lot needs to be done to get this going...

Much more on a potential NYC 2024 effort, seems as though many media outlets, including a couple in the New York area, have picked up on the story..

(USA Today) N.Y. looking at bid for 2024 Olympics, Cuomo says

(N.Y. Daily News) Gov. Cuomo considering push to bring 2024 Summer Olympics to New York City

(Wall Street Journal) Officials Eye 2024 Olympic Games for New York

(The Wire) Everyone Wants New York to Bid for the 2024 Olympics but Its Killjoy Mayor

Someone needs to slap de Blasio.

Yea, the nerve of someone running a large city who doesn't think trying to host an Olympics should be a priority!

If it works for the city, it's 1 thing. It has for many major cities, most recently with London. But unless someone can come along with a plan that makes it worthwhile for NYC, maybe it's in New York's best interests to NOT pursue an Olympics. I know that might come as a shock to this forum, but sometimes that's just the way it is. Believe me, I would love to see an Olympics in my home city in my lifetime. I still hold out hope it will happen. I just don't know how to make it work.

It'd be nice if this goes further - NYC would instantly be my early personal favourite.

Sounds like it's a bit late to the party compared to what we've gleaned about other cities going through the USOC's hoops, though. Assuming it does get some momentum, would it be enough for the USOC to put back their June deadline again?

• Like 1

Much more on a potential NYC 2024 effort, seems as though many media outlets, including a couple in the New York area, have picked up on the story..

(USA Today) N.Y. looking at bid for 2024 Olympics, Cuomo says

(N.Y. Daily News) Gov. Cuomo considering push to bring 2024 Summer Olympics to New York City

(Wall Street Journal) Officials Eye 2024 Olympic Games for New York

(The Wire) Everyone Wants New York to Bid for the 2024 Olympics but Its Killjoy Mayor

It's interesting how all of these sources have a article on NYC considering the games but only Wall Street Jorunal has the article about de Blasio saying no

It'd be nice if this goes further - NYC would instantly be my early personal favourite.

Sounds like it's a bit late to the party compared to what we've gleaned about other cities going through the USOC's hoops, though. Assuming it does get some momentum, would it be enough for the USOC to put back their June deadline again?

I imagine that if it became serious and the bid was up to par with LA, then I could see them making a few exceptions. If the bid does not take off or is not up to par I doubt it, they have 'seven' great cities to select from not their fault NYC did not jump on this a year ago.

Well I must say this is a surprise. I would suppose NYC arriving a bit late had to do with Governor Cuomo, whose up for re-election this fall, waiting until he had a comfortable margin in the polls so he could coast to victory. Still don't see how they get this done without the mayor on board though. The biggest problem I see with a NYC bid though is not the Olympic Village, it's the stadium. All four major sports franchises (Giants, Jets, Yankees, and Mets) recently constructed new stadiums. New York City FC will play in Yankee Stadium for a couple of seasons before a stadium is built. So what would be a viable option? Even if they constructed a stadium with a large amount of temporary seating (which I questioned the viability of in another thread) who would take over the stadium afterwards, even in a scaled down version? The Jets are locked into a lease in the Meadowlands. There's no way they'd be allowed out of it to move to Manhattan or Queens.

As much as I'd like to see a New York bid go through and be successful, if you're weighing between Los Angeles and NYC, L.A. has a slight advantage in terms of venues right now and the stadium is a big one.

• Like 2

For some reason, I'm pretty "meh" about this. Not sure why. I lived and worked in NYC for a long time. Love the city; love going back. But an Olympics there just doesn't grab me the way a LA games does. Maybe it's because I've seen the flashy write-up for LA and I would get excited if I saw the same for NYC.

• Like 1

jeez, i'm glad you're not running the campaign.

I'm glad about that too. Dan Doctoroff has the vision and the will to try and convince the powers that be that New York can host an Olympics. I don't. As has been said before.. maybe it's just not in the cards for New York City to host an Olympics. If someone comes up with a plan that makes it work, I'll certainly get behind it. Easier said than done though, and I said that to a crowd here that often gets their rocks off on the idea of a particularly city hosting the Olympics.

It's New York. If they have the goods, I'm guessing the USOC will make an exception for them. But that's still a big IF. Tough to tell just how much has gone on behind the scenes between Doctoroff, Cuomo, and de Blasio. Seems like all this was probably put on hold prior to the mayoral elections, so it's a matter of bad timing in that regard. Again though, if this plan has any chance of succeeding, de Blasio has to get on board.

For some reason, I'm pretty "meh" about this. Not sure why. I lived and worked in NYC for a long time. Love the city; love going back. But an Olympics there just doesn't grab me the way a LA games does. Maybe it's because I've seen the flashy write-up for LA and I would get excited if I saw the same for NYC.

We've said it before.. LA is like that kid in class that when you ask them a question, they raise their hand are like "ooh, pick me teacher, please pick me!" Even their first response to the USOC letter was "we're enthusiastically interested." Asking LA if they want to bid for an Olympics is like asking a kid if he wants ice cream. And in large part because they've hosted before, they have a lot of pieces in place, plus a lot more than have been built since the `84 Olympics.

New York took their shot with a plan (the original plan that is) that was never destined to work out. The timing was perfect for the city, not so much for the USOC. Now that time has passed and what might have been a great legacy plan for a new stadium no longer exists. And again, this is the problem with trying to hatch an Olympic bid.. the Flushing Meadows site has been rumored as a potential home for the new MLS team. So if de Blasio and those involved have 2 proposals on the table, build a stadium to host a team that will be there every year for a generation or try to convince an international organization to host an event here that lasts 2 1/2 weeks and may or may not leave a lasting legacy, which of those 2 is going to be chosen? That's why the mayor needs to at least be on board with this because if not, he and his minions can decide how to use the city's land and resources otherwise.

the Flushing Meadows site has been rumored as a potential home for the new MLS team.

NYCers in the forum may know this context better than me, but hasn't there already been a lot of opposition from the neighboring communities for the potential MLS stadium in Queens? Can't imagine they'd like the Olympics more.

This is just what I've picked up from following Second Avenue Sagas (http://secondavenuesagas.com), so correct me if I'm wrong.

And that's definitely a big challenge that another New York bid would face. Low public support. In the 2012 race, New York had lowest numbers of all the five 2012 finalists, & that was before the economic slump hit in 2008. And reading from the comments on some of these recent articles, looks like that hasn't changed much.

We've said it before.. LA is like that kid in class that when you ask them a question, they raise their hand are like "ooh, pick me teacher, please pick me!" Even their first response to the USOC letter was "we're enthusiastically interested." Asking LA if they want to bid for an Olympics is like asking a kid if he wants ice cream. And in large part because they've hosted before, they have a lot of pieces in place, plus a lot more than have been built since the `84 Olympics.

WHO IS NEW YORK IN THAT ANALOGY? i need to know.

is new york the cool kid in the back of the classroom who throws pencils at the ceiling and they always stick the first time? or is new york the really suave, charming kid with good grades and extracurriculars who gets gushed about more than any other kid in the teachers' lounge? or is new york the rich kid who has 4,000 instagram followers and shows up to the first day of junior year with a new mercedes convertible, two ipads, and a "this old thing?" shrug?

• Like 1

new york is the kid who is so popular that he shows up for auditions to the school play without bothering to learn any lines, refuses to take off his sunglasses, and doesn't do any work but still gets the lead because he'll probably sell a lot of tickets.

WHO IS NEW YORK IN THAT ANALOGY? i need to know.

is new york the cool kid in the back of the classroom who throws pencils at the ceiling and they always stick the first time? or is new york the really suave, charming kid with good grades and extracurriculars who gets gushed about more than any other kid in the teachers' lounge? or is new york the rich kid who has 4,000 instagram followers and shows up to the first day of junior year with a new mercedes convertible, two ipads, and a "this old thing?" shrug?

Who do you think New York is? Let's label San Diego and Boston and Dallas and Philadelphia too!

I like that first one though. Let's go with that.

And that's definitely a big challenge that another New York bid would face. Low public support. In the 2012 race, New York had lowest numbers of all the five 2012 finalists, & that was before the economic slump hit in 2008. And reading from the comments on some of these recent articles, looks like that hasn't changed much.

A couple of media stories brought this up when the Super Bowl was here (if anyone wants to be the guy to point out that the Super Bowl was actually in New Jersey.. the GAME was there, but the Super Bowl as an event was as much in NYC as it was in NY) that because of the size of the city, it almost got lost in the shuffle. 1 person compared it to Indianapolis where everywhere you'd go that you would be reminded about the Super Bowl, whereas the size of New York prevented that from happening. That's the nature of a city this large that it's hard to get large numbers of people to back something as massive as an Olympics.

Again, the big question is what's the grand plan for an NYC Olympics? The original proposal for the 2012 bid was to create a new sports/entertainment/convention hub in Hudson Yards, but we saw how that turned out. Now the thoughts turn to Queens, which make a lot of sense, but is that going to work? Citi Field has already been built. There's a lot of talk of revitalizing the area, which is currently full of auto detail shops and junk yards..

Will the Citi Field Area Ever Be NYC's Next Great Neighborhood?

Willets Point Development

That's the problem with an Olympics in a city like New York. NYC might already have plans that don't mesh with an Olympic bid. This Willets Point plan can go ahead at any time. With an Olympics, you're looking several years into the future before a host city is decided and a decade that you might have to sit on a project. Tough to make urban development work when you're on someone else's timetable.

san diego is obviously los angeles' little sister with a better tan who is just as annoyingly eager from her perch as editor in chief (two years running) of the student paper. she tells everyone she's going to stanford but even mr martinez who's writing her letter of rec thinks that's a long shot.

boston is the kid that didn't get quarterback when new york did but still insists he could take him on "one-on-one." new york's all "pssh, he has like 200 instagram followers and a 2008 jetta lol"

dallas is kind of the tacky class joke but you would never say that to her face because she would totally throw down. philadelphia snapchatted pics of ugly people at the mall and "this is dallas' future." new york laughed but never replied because philadelphia's like a sophomore and how'd she even get on his snapchat? ohh right. god that was a crazy weekend.

• Like 1

NYCers in the forum may know this context better than me, but hasn't there already been a lot of opposition from the neighboring communities for the potential MLS stadium in Queens? Can't imagine they'd like the Olympics more.

This is just what I've picked up from following Second Avenue Sagas (http://secondavenuesagas.com), so correct me if I'm wrong.

The MLS stadium in corona park is dead. Apparently the residents weren't keen on giving up park land where they picnic, play soccer, etc. in order to build a private stadium for billionares. Current plan is for New York City FC (god I hate that name) to play in Yankee Stadium, and then to con a bunch of people in the Bronx to build a new soccer stadium near Yankee stadium.

Judd Nelson: Dallas

Emillio Estevez: New York

Anthony Michael Hall: San Diego

Molly Ringwald: LA

Ally Sheedy: Philly (DC?)

Tulsa is that try-hard who thinks he is great at sports when in reality he just looks like a total Douche. He does not make any of the important teams so he joins lacrosse, his family is somewhat wealthy but only because daddy is in big oil. The only successful person from his family is like 5ft tall and can sing opera/Broadway, so he is in her shadow at home.

DC is the "I'm involved in everything" girl, she's an activist, President of every freaking club and say's she is, "Too good for new technology", but in reality she is growing up in a low income family and doing everything to rise above that challenge. However she's small and too busy, which causes for he scheduled to be very 'spread out'

Atlanta is the "Been there, done that type", he's a total hipster in some sense and does not boast a lot. "Olympics? I hosted those WAY before they were mainstream"

Houston is the school drug dealer, and he's rich because of it. Despite him being trash he is invited to every event just because of his 'connections'.