New York Considers 2024 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could Lord David sue? I mean it's not an official logo and it's his work, it gives no credit to the creator. All they did was search NYC 2024 Olympics on Google images and pick the first picture that came up...lawsuit time!

lol no.

The apple is already been there, don't that. Have we forgotten Almaty already! Lmfao!

At first glance people would NEVER understand Almaty's logo, an apple for NYC makes perfect sense. It's like the Eiffel Tower, it's an icon of the city.

At first glance people would NEVER understand Almaty's logo, an apple for NYC makes perfect sense. It's like the Eiffel Tower, it's an icon of the city.

I'm tempted to say you're comparing apples and pears.

If there's anything iconic in NY comparable with Eiffel Tower, it's Empire State or Statue of Liberty. The nickname "Big Apple" may be famous, but not in an iconic sense. Paris as "city of light" probably also wouldn't use a street lantern as logo.

I'm tempted to say you're comparing apples and pears.

If there's anything iconic in NY comparable with Eiffel Tower, it's Empire State or Statue of Liberty. The nickname "Big Apple" may be famous, but not in an iconic sense. Paris as "city of light" probably also wouldn't use a street lantern as logo.

Paris 2024?! :lol:

lantern_9.jpg03b5119c-4d25-4344-8d1d-155

Still it's associated with the city and works from a marketing perspective. In fact most of the logos during that comp and one point or another featured an apple, I think it's safe to say that it's apart of the cities international identity. While SoL is certainly New York, I think it's an even bigger icon of the US.

How much longer do we have to hear "one city is thoroughly/seriously/considering/nearly but it's never going to happen"?

These cities need to make up their bloody mind. Geez at least silly countries like Qatar and Turkey know when they want to bid and just get behind it. All it took for Doha was to send a tweet saying "see you in 2024". The USA is so annoying with their bidding process.

And no offense to our Qatari and Turkish members, by silly I mean the possibility of them hosting anymore following Qatar's various laws (anti gays, women, alcohol) and Turkey seemingly spiraling out of control since the 2020 result (banning twitter, the mine disaster and how the gov handheld it, pulling out of eurovision because of Conchita).

Still it's associated with the city and works from a marketing perspective. In fact most of the logos during that comp and one point or another featured an apple, I think it's safe to say that it's apart of the cities international identity. While SoL is certainly New York, I think it's an even bigger icon of the US.

I don't think we should be basing things off of what gets used in a logo competition here. I get that could be a barometer for how foreigners perceive the New York and the United States, but I don't think it's an indication of what might get used on an actual bid logo put out by the city. The apple may be familiar, but it's not an icon. The Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty.. those are icons and images that define New York. Not the image of an apple.

How much longer do we have to hear "one city is thoroughly/seriously/considering/nearly but it's never going to happen"?

These cities need to make up their bloody mind. Geez at least silly countries like Qatar and Turkey know when they want to bid and just get behind it. All it took for Doha was to send a tweet saying "see you in 2024". The USA is so annoying with their bidding process.

And no offense to our Qatari and Turkish members, by silly I mean the possibility of them hosting anymore following Qatar's various laws (anti gays, women, alcohol) and Turkey seemingly spiraling out of control since the 2020 result (banning twitter, the mine disaster and how the gov handheld it, pulling out of eurovision because of Conchita).

That's because Qatar doesn't give a crap. They'll just keep throwing themselves into every race because, well, why the heck not. It's not like they lack the money. Ditto for Turkey.. they have 1 and only 1 city worthy of putting forward for an Olympics, so it's either do they or don't they.

In the United States, the finances of an Olympics and an Olympic bid work differently than in any other country. The government and the NOC aren't the ones running the show. It's more on the city and their government and their private entities doing all the dirty work. That's why the USOC needs a well thought-out process in order to select a candidate city, especially since there are more than a couple of cities in the United States that could merit consideration as Olympic hosts. Sorry is you're bothered by this process, but it's what needs to be done. And hey, it gives us good fodder for this website, doesn't it.

I don't think we should be basing things off of what gets used in a logo competition here. I get that could be a barometer for how foreigners perceive the New York and the United States, but I don't think it's an indication of what might get used on an actual bid logo put out by the city. The apple may be familiar, but it's not an icon. The Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty.. those are icons and images that define New York. Not the image of an apple.

I think Rome should use a large pizza for their next bid logo.

That's because Qatar doesn't give a crap. They'll just keep throwing themselves into every race because, well, why the heck not. It's not like they lack the money. Ditto for Turkey.. they have 1 and only 1 city worthy of putting forward for an Olympics, so it's either do they or don't they.

In the United States, the finances of an Olympics and an Olympic bid work differently than in any other country. The government and the NOC aren't the ones running the show. It's more on the city and their government and their private entities doing all the dirty work. That's why the USOC needs a well thought-out process in order to select a candidate city, especially since there are more than a couple of cities in the United States that could merit consideration as Olympic hosts. Sorry is you're bothered by this process, but it's what needs to be done. And hey, it gives us good fodder for this website, doesn't it.

Yeah I know they're cashed up, but the amount of studies and proposals for a potential olympic bid is probably wasting a lot of time and (i'm not sure but) money. Yes, I get that it is needed in order for USOC to bid officially but it just seems that it never happens. We heard the same thing for 2020 and nothing ever happened. I just want to hear either USOC will bid with ____ or USA pulls out of 2024 bid race (before it actually starts).

Yeah I guess it adds something to the forums but it's just the same thing over and over.

Yeah I know they're cashed up, but the amount of studies and proposals for a potential olympic bid is probably wasting a lot of time and (i'm not sure but) money. Yes, I get that it is needed in order for USOC to bid officially but it just seems that it never happens. We heard the same thing for 2020 and nothing ever happened. I just want to hear either USOC will bid with ____ or USA pulls out of 2024 bid race (before it actually starts).

Yeah I guess it adds something to the forums but it's just the same thing over and over.

2020 was a different matter. The USOC said they weren't bidding. Then late in the game, very briefly, they said they might think about it. Then they went back to a definite "no."

The process for 2024 has been much lengthier and much more carefully thought out. The USOC has been very deliberate and intentional in their approach. With so many cities that could host, they have to take their time working through it. Although there are a good number of cities that could host, there are only a few that are electable. The USOC has to be politically savvy enough to navigate those waters sensitively and arrive at the best possible candidate. It takes time.

2020 was a different matter. The USOC said they weren't bidding. Then late in the game, very briefly, they said they might think about it. Then they went back to a definite "no."

The process for 2024 has been much lengthier and much more carefully thought out. The USOC has been very deliberate and intentional in their approach. With so many cities that could host, they have to take their time working through it. Although there are a good number of cities that could host, there are only a few that are electable. The USOC has to be politically savvy enough to navigate those waters sensitively and arrive at the best possible candidate. It takes time.

Ok, do you think a US city will bid for 2024?

Archived