Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

New York Considers 2024 Olympic Bid

Some discussion has already taken place on the "USA 2024" thread.

I think the biggest stumbling block at this point is where to place a Village. OK, say, NY can finance a temporary T&F Olympic stadium at Flushing Meadows, where will they find a 50-hectare plot close by to accommodate a Village? The small plot for 2012 I believe has already been consigned for other uses; so that's no longer available. They're going to have to find some other free land in Queens to make an easy complement with the Flushing Meadows location for T&F, tennis, probably swimming; and the supposed new Convention Center.

Hopefully they put together a viable concept and the stadium doesn't flop! With those two combined I doubt NYC is able to be beaten.

In the article they mention the usage of a 167 acre rail yard as part of the plan in Queens. The only rail yard that i can recall fitting that description would be the Sunnyside rails just South West of Flushing Meadows bordering the Neighborhoods of Sunnyside, Woodside and Long Island City. This would shift the OV from a waterfront Long Island City location to just inland of the already developed previously proposed village location. This plot is more oblong in shape and a new rail station servicing the location can be easily incorporated to the plan. If viewed from above this would create a slightly askew boomerang configuration for both Olympic parks with the neighborhoods of Woodside and Elmhurst sitting in the middle. Road traffic is extremely heavy in the area as it sits between the confluence of the Long Island Expressway, Queens Boulevard, Northern Boulevard, Queensboro Bridge and the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

Edited by Astoriaguy

They got all enthusiastic in 2003 and then slid into total indifference by the time they got to Singapore. Admittedly the bid was propped up on raw enomtion at the time, and as mentioned, not really thoroughly thought out. It's enthusiastic backers begin to realize what was needed. Better planning this time hopefully will see a seriuos challenge to LA.

Like most here, you would've thought New York had been a host long ago by now. Kind of sticks out as the major top tier global city that hasn't.

I guess this would be the area for a possible Village. (Boy, old railroad yards...a lot of clean-up.)

4d3e811b-9f33-4733-86c0-3b5e3afd32ee_zps

If they throw in 2 subway stations, a major bus stop or 2, a lagoon or lake; a venue or 2 ( If white-water rafting is still on the agenda...then maybe that could become the future lake/lagoon of the community; pool (for diving or water polo);, a possible community college setting, hospital(?) -- aside from the Village of course, then it's doable.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The yards have been in a process of cleanup for over a decade now. The new East Side Access plan utilizes the yards as a pass through to Grand Central Terminal for the Long Island Rail Road and decking over the yards is not as outlandish as it sounded 9 years ago when the west side yards were in the mix. As of this moment both the Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn and the West Side Yards in Manhattan are both being Decked over for development. As far as a Hospital thats actually an important point you brought up because the nearest medical centers are the Old Astoria General (whatever name it goes by this week) about 2km North West of the yards and the already over crowded Elmhurst Medical Center about 1 km north east of the eastern edge of the property.

The yards have been in a process of cleanup for over a decade now. The new East Side Access plan utilizes the yards as a pass through to Grand Central Terminal for the Long Island Rail Road and decking over the yards is not as outlandish as it sounded 9 years ago when the west side yards were in the mix. As of this moment both the Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn and the West Side Yards in Manhattan are both being Decked over for development. As far as a Hospital thats actually an important point you brought up because the nearest medical centers are the Old Astoria General (whatever name it goes by this week) about 2km North West of the yards and the already over crowded Elmhurst Medical Center about 1 km north east of the eastern edge of the property.

A hospital/medical center-to-be would be easily converted from temporary dorm-style housing. That would be a perfect fit..

A Broadcast Center could become a campus or an R&D facility (or they could use Astoria Studios and/or the Grumman studios out in LIC as the Broadcast Centers.

Last time I checked, a governor holds more sway than a mayor.

This is still an event in the city of New York though. So unless de Blasio is on board, doesn't matter how much away Cuomo has. One way or another, de Blasio is eventually going to have to approve of this

this mayors views are dismissible

I'm not a fan of his, but he's still the mayor. He doesn't have to be an integral part of this process but it still needs his seal of approval if Doctoroff and company have any chance of this becoming a reality. And I don't like those odds

Though the reps said it was "not something they were considering", this could imply a host of possibilities on where de Blasio stands. Based on de Blasio's agenda it appears he is pushing for more social housing, what better way to provide that then through an Olympics/Olympic Bid?

If they are serious about a New York Bid, then Los Angeles has no chance IMO. I've said before that New York City is America's Best Choice. Los Angeles was the Best when we thought New York City and Chicago weren't interested. I think this could change the race, but I still believe in Rome Winning. Maybe Durban VS New York City for 2028?

. Based on de Blasio's agenda it appears he is pushing for more social housing, what better way to provide that then through an Olympics/Olympic Bid?

Uh, by building housing?

Though the reps said it was "not something they were considering", this could imply a host of possibilities on where de Blasio stands. Based on de Blasio's agenda it appears he is pushing for more social housing, what better way to provide that then through an Olympics/Olympic Bid?

Better ways to build affordable housing than to make it contingent on landing an event that's probably going to cost the city tens of billions of dollars to host and that's only if they can get it in the first place

• Like 1

Better ways to build affordable housing than to make it contingent on landing an event that's probably going to cost the city tens of billions of dollars to host and that's only if they can get it in the first place

I'm saying that bidding for the games could be that spark, don't think the city will, but if they did they certainly could trumpet housing.

I think this could change the race, but I still believe in Rome Winning. Maybe Durban VS New York City for 2028?

You need to get over this Rome obscession of yours. Even in the unlikely event that New York & Rome would be in contention with one another, it's definitely premature to suggest that Rome would win. We still don't know who the actual competition will be for 2024, let alone what their plans would look like to make such certain declarations this early on. Not to mention that the Italians would have quite a few big hurdles from the starting gate. For one, their shaky economy that would still be a big concern.

SWEET JESUS I'M CRYING!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! Sorry for the obnoxious post. But I'm loving the news!!!

Btw, I haven't read any of the articles or posts yet.