How to make the Olympics Smaller

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In other thread, somebody mentioned they would love to see the games in NZ, even if they had to get rid of some of some less prestegious sports to make the games small. But would that really make a d

No athletes over 6'. Those extra long beds at the Village cost $5 bazillion!!

Yes rather than building huge new stadiums costs could be kept down by building more temporary structures etc.

I don't care about the Olympic football, but just to remind you it's a relatively easy sport for the organisers cause the venues are usually existing plus the revenues from big crowds are important. Cut at least equestrianism, after all this is not an animals' competition FGS, rhythmic gymnastics and all those silly new video game sports such as trampoline. I call them video game sports cause they remind me of a video game I had as a kid.

every single IOC fat ass member pay their own expensive transport, accommodation, ambrosia and personal souvenirs.

Then you're not going to have an IOC. Remember, they are NOT paid salaries for their time and participation -- except probably for Bach and the Deputy. Membership to the IOC is invitational...and you KNOW that you NOT going to get rich (unless you have the torch portfolio in Greece) by belonging to the iOC. You generally start out RICH before being asked to join the IOC. All the members' expenses (mainly the travel & lodging costs) are taken care of by the IOC and/or the host. What the IOC members pocket is really small change considering they only meet for the most part, once a year.

One thing about the Sydney Olympics I don't think a lot of people understand is how incredibly cheap a lot of the venues were... many sports and facilities were housed in metal 'sheds' at the new State Fair Grounds and cost next to nothing to build. The second basketball hall is a pavilion for fruit and vegetables, the rhythmic gymnastics a hall for cheap trade displays and candy sample bags, the print media were housed in the cattle pavilions etc. Not only were they cheap, but their simple design meant were all built in 18 months. They only had temporary air con as well.

The architecture of the stadium, pool and velodrome was also very low tech and 'cheap'.....they still looked great and this didn't stop the games being the best ever and the stadium and pool being the biggest ever.

• Like 1

Then you're not going to have an IOC. Remember, they are NOT paid salaries for their time and participation -- except probably for Bach and the Deputy. Membership to the IOC is invitational...and you KNOW that you NOT going to get rich (unless you have the torch portfolio in Greece) by belonging to the iOC. You generally start out RICH before being asked to join the IOC. All the members' expenses (mainly the travel & lodging costs) are taken care of by the IOC and/or the host. What the IOC members pocket is really small change considering they only meet for the most part, once a year.

Got that, what I mainly meant is that they tend to be picky.

Got that, what I mainly meant is that they tend to be picky.

Well, somewhat...but it's only a natural thing that when you have VIP guests coming to your country, you would want to put them up in secure, comfortable surroundings w/ all the amenities they are accustomed to. You are telling the rest of the world...that you are a sophisticated metropolis and you can offer world-class comforts for any visitors after the Games, for whatever pockets they have.

And it's no different from those int'l beauty pageants. At least the Miss Universe one, always asks for some 75-80 of the best rooms in a hotel for the contestants, the production staff and visiting judges (+ the US$12 million 'host city' deposit.) It's when the hosts overdo it that it seems excessive. When they were putting LA 1984 together, LAOOC's staffers would pick up the visiting IOC sports members in their own families cars (station wagons, probably a Buick a few years old) and drive them around. Of course, it was only the haughty Monique Berlioux who was aghast at the arrangement. But eventually, they all got used to it.

(No; I'm not defending them. It just seems to present a more accurate picture that it takes 2 to tango, and sometimes the local OCOG is also to blame for the excesses.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV
When they were putting LA 1984 together, LAOOC's staffers would pick up the visiting IOC sports members in their own families cars (station wagons, probably a Buick a few years old) and drive them around. Of course, it was only the haughty Monique Berlioux who was aghast at the arrangement. But eventually, they all got used to it. \

In other words, you don't have to spoil the IOC members. Monday saved!

One thing about the Sydney Olympics I don't think a lot of people understand is how incredibly cheap a lot of the venues were... many sports and facilities were housed in metal 'sheds' at the new State Fair Grounds and cost next to nothing to build. The second basketball hall is a pavilion for fruit and vegetables, the rhythmic gymnastics a hall for cheap trade displays and candy sample bags, the print media were housed in the cattle pavilions etc. Not only were they cheap, but their simple design meant were all built in 18 months. They only had temporary air con as well.

The architecture of the stadium, pool and velodrome was also very low tech and 'cheap'.....they still looked great and this didn't stop the games being the best ever and the stadium and pool being the biggest ever.

It was all about building smart and as we see today out at Homebush, easy to adjust accordingly. ANZ Stadium is about to move onto it's third makeover which will pretty much set it's self up for the next 30 years.

• Like 1