How to make the Olympics Smaller

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In other thread, somebody mentioned they would love to see the games in NZ, even if they had to get rid of some of some less prestegious sports to make the games small. But would that really make a d

No athletes over 6'. Those extra long beds at the Village cost $5 bazillion!!

Yes rather than building huge new stadiums costs could be kept down by building more temporary structures etc.

Remove modern pentathlon, and is necesary delete the venues for football out of the host city (or even football can be eliminated, the have FIFA world cup).

Other possibility is make that one venue could be used for two or even more sport, as basketball, voleyball and badminton for example.

You are all fools Football in the Olympics is U21 with 3 over U21 players allowed. It's for young players that might never make the world cup team THIS is their world cup

It's still a waste of money...

Name Them Please?

You know, the wussy nations:

Russia

China

Iran

Turkey

Cuba

Venezuela

Columbia

Any non-capitalist nation

Any nation formerly a part of the Soviet Empire or Republic

Yeah that should do it, I mean the IOC might as well start following what the new Roman Empire will demand. The sun set on the wussy Brits, but never will it set on America. The greatest nation ever created!

They should cut out nations America does not like.

keep-calm-and-do-not-feed-the-trolls-3.p

On a more serious note.. this is the organization that voted to keep modern pentathlon and voted to eliminate wrestling. With politics like that, does anyone honestly think they would make the right decisions on what to keep and what not to keep if they wanted to downscale the Olympics

I'm NOT a troll, I'm just voicing my humble opinion and optimistic views of the future.

Yea, except you kinda are though. We have enough nationalistic nonsense on these forums and I know you're just joking around with all the America posts, but you're also not helping the image of the supposedly arrogant American around here either. Either way, if you're trying to bait people into an "America is the greatest nation on Earth" discussion, what should I make of that?

I'm NOT a troll, I'm just voicing my humble opinion and optimistic views of the future.

ahhh..huuuh...riiight!

Yea, except you kinda are though. We have enough nationalistic nonsense on these forums and I know you're just joking around with all the America posts, but you're also not helping the image of the supposedly arrogant American around here either. Either way, if you're trying to bait people into an "America is the greatest nation on Earth" discussion, what should I make of that?

Sorry, I'm just parodying some of the people here...

Unless you have oil. That's how you become instant besties with America. Either that or democracy "rescues you". 'MERICA

Yeah, really. Although if you have oil, America will be that friend that back-stabs you. We use up your oil and then make you dependent on ours...good ole America :rolleyes:

Eliminate all the sports except Rhythmic Gymnastics, Indoor Volleyball and Rowing. Then enlarge Ceremonies. See how much cheaper they'll be.

Why don't we just have massive ceremonies? Drop everything else...I mean the ceremonies are the only things most people care about...

ahhh..huuuh...riiight!

No really, I'm just making fun of the nationalistic people here (i'm not going to name usernames)

The change will come when some host city financially implodes by trying to out due all other previous hosts. This is the pattern and it will eventually lead to a financial catastrophe for some poor sap of a host city. Maybe it won't be in the next ten or twenty years, but it will come. Hell, we're at the point where just lighting the torch has to be more innovative and dramatic than the previous host city. In three decades we've gone from small, insignificant cauldrons to an Olympic blowtorch that could keep a small city warm and was spotted by the international space station.

Secondly, host cities have to build venues with a clear post-game use. To spend billions of dollars on an event that lasts a bit over a month (counting the para games) and have no plan for what to do with the structures is ludicrous and a staggering cost to taxpayers. There are many examples of this very situation and they are cautionary tales for future bidders. If the games give a city a new metro line, a viable stadium with actual athletic tenants and other needed civic improvements, that is the way to go. But to build a behemoth of a stadium with no post-games use in sight is ridiculous, And there examples of former host cities stuck with white elephant stadiums and Olympic venues that have drained the taxpayers.

It's still a waste of money...

You know, the wussy nations:

Russia

China

Iran

Turkey

Cuba

Venezuela

Columbia

Any non-capitalist nation

Any nation formerly a part of the Soviet Empire or Republic

Yeah that should do it, I mean the IOC might as well start following what the new Roman Empire will demand. The sun set on the wussy Brits, but never will it set on America. The greatest nation ever created!

What is your problem? We are not wussy.

All this 'MERICA crap is getting really annoying and old, BR2028, please just shut up.

The change will come when some host city financially implodes by trying to out due all other previous hosts. This is the pattern and it will eventually lead to a financial catastrophe for some poor sap of a host city. Maybe it won't be in the next ten or twenty years, but it will come. Hell, we're at the point where just lighting the torch has to be more innovative and dramatic than the previous host city. In three decades we've gone from small, insignificant cauldrons to an Olympic blowtorch that could keep a small city warm and was spotted by the international space station.

Secondly, host cities have to build venues with a clear post-game use. To spend billions of dollars on an event that lasts a bit over a month (counting the para games) and have no plan for what to do with the structures is ludicrous and a staggering cost to taxpayers. There are many examples of this very situation and they are cautionary tales for future bidders. If the games give a city a new metro line, a viable stadium with actual athletic tenants and other needed civic improvements, that is the way to go. But to build a behemoth of a stadium with no post-games use in sight is ridiculous, And there examples of former host cities stuck with white elephant stadiums and Olympic venues that have drained the taxpayers.

I have been thinking the same thing. We have become accustom to each city being bigger and better then the next, this is highly unsustainable.

Just like the Olympic Games are a privilege and not a right to be hosted, so should be the ability to compete in the Olympics. Why should Canadian, American, German etc financiers of an Olympic Games have to foot the thousands of dollars per athlete to bring someone from St. Kitts or Guam or the Seychelles to compete for a minute or two?

Because it's part of the Olympic ideal. Are the ceremonies necessary? The torch relay? The art festival? Not really, but they make the Olympics uniquely what they are.

LOL, actually Turkey and Colombia are USA's allies.

yeah BR2028 is a complete troll. who cares what he has to say.

Bach is leading the Vision 2020 thing. I am sure that there will some discussion of the suggestions above.

That's all rhetoric. They'll get nothing accomplished. IOC members are some of the most self-serving, unqualified and corrupt people in the world. A lot like members of the United States Congress actually.

yeah BR2028 is a complete troll. who cares what he has to say.

That's all rhetoric. They'll get nothing accomplished. IOC members are some of the most self-serving, unqualified and corrupt people in the world. A lot like members of the United States Congress actually.

At least our mayors don't say sh!t like this:

My favorite part is the end when someone say's "I love that guy"

Ceremonies, torch relays and art festival are facts that make the Olympics a very prestigious event. It's just a matter of reducing expenses and that every single IOC fat ass member pay their own expensive transport, accommodation, ambrosia and personal souvenirs.

Yeah, good luck with that one. That's like telling American Congressmen that they will not get to annul themselves from the laws they make.

• Like 1

WOG- Dont build a long track skating arena- just give all the medals to The Nethlerlands

SOG- Dont build a velodrome - just give all the medals to Team GB.

:)

WOG- Dont build a long track skating arena- just give all the medals to The Nethlerlands

SOG- Dont build a velodrome - just give all the medals to Team GB.

:)

AND- Dont build a Table Tennis facility- give all the medals to China!

You are all fools Football in the Olympics is U21 with 3 over U21 players allowed. It's for young players that might never make the world cup team THIS is their world cup

U23 actually.

All this 'MERICA crap is getting really annoying and old, BR2028, please just shut up.

I have been thinking the same thing. We have become accustom to each city being bigger and better then the next, this is highly unsustainable.

Except Athens wasn't bigger than Sydney and London wasn't bigger than Beijing. The idea of one-ups-manship didn't come around until around Beijing.

U23 actually.

Except Athens wasn't bigger than Sydney and London wasn't bigger than Beijing. The idea of one-ups-manship didn't come around until around Beijing.

Really? Athens was far more expensive the Sydney and look where that went, London also had her extravagant moments.