Sign in to follow this  
Scotguy

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Sorry for not writing anything i'm just all giddy with how great this ESC was. Bravo, Austria. You've outdone yourself.

Well, see you in Sweden 2016. I feel very bad for Russia, though. :(

PS: Offtopic but i think they should use this chance to host it in the Friends Arena at Stockholm next year.

Well, Vienna ain't Dusseldorf :)

I feel very bad for Russia, though. :(

I don't, hypocrisy didn't win. I feel bad for Germany and Austria. They didn't deserve 0 point.

The Show was great!!!Austria put the sophistication back in and the interval act was great to.

Italy should have won!!!

the winner was just OK,

the voting is still a bit odd,

mays be the UK should have to qualify,

and the country's where the people always give there 12 points to the same country regardless of the song ,

need to learn to think.

I don't, hypocrisy didn't win. I feel bad for Germany and Austria. They didn't deserve 0 point.

This is exactly what pisses me off of ESC in recent years. That everyone has politicized the event and forgot about whats more important, which is the music.

I also don't agree with what Putin does but that should be irrelevant here.

Well not that close a result but a good win. So back to Malmo? Stockholm this time? Goteborg?

I doubt Malmo. They already had their chance to shine in 2013. I think Stockholm but they did it already in 2000. Soooo...Goteborg?

Speaking of countries who didn't deserved zero points, Spain....their song was actually good, and yet they only got 15 votes?

Stip away all the cartoon gimmickry from Sweden and you are left with a boring song that wouldn't finish in the Top 10

But that sums up Eurovision too a tee though

Gimmicks always get votes (cue. last year & Lordi)

• Like 1

Stip away all the cartoon gimmickry from Sweden and you are left with a boring song that wouldn't finish in the Top 10

But that sums up Eurovision too a tee though

Gimmicks always get votes (cue. last year & Lordi)

Perhaps, but I really liked the song.

Of course, it had the pop formula of using a catchy tune + engaging visuals + good looking performer.

In saying all of that, it had quite an Avicci feel about it too, so not surprised at it doing well at all.

I'm relieved the hypocritical Russian song dudn't win, Out of the top 3, I'd have preferred Italy.

Clearly the most amazing performance was Latvia though, and I'm a bit sad about Slovenia not doing as well.

German zero doesn't surprise me, but if anyone should have joined Ann Sophie in her fate, it should have been the UK, not the Austrians.

I also must say that ORF really did not do a good job - four hours is just too much, even with 27 songs. The intro and the interval could have been shortened quite a bit.

Well done to whoever devised the computer algorithm for the order of result declarations- it kept the Sweden/Russia tension going pretty well.

Come to think of it, it was a nice day for voting results in general :)

Ann Sophie's 0 points were undeserved - even if I expected her to finish on a 20-ish rank due to the blandness of the song in a fairly strong field of contenders, her performance was very good. So it was a surprise that even the utter tripe the BBC sent to the ESC this year (sorry, guys, but you at the BBC should really think about quitting the ESC altogether if you don't want to put up a serious performance anymore) got some points. But on the other hand, it has no benefit either to rank 25th with only a few votes. So it's actually okay that we really got nil points - and hopefully, next year we will have a regular national pre-contest with good contenders, where the winner doesn't refuse his election. ;)

I am also glad that the Russian entry didn't win - its hypocrisy made me barf, and so I was very surprised that it got so many points also from Western countries, while it was telling that it got nil points from Lithuania and only six from Poland. So, while I had my issues with Mans Zelmerlöw due to his "tailored to win" performance, his role as clear favourite and his controversial remarks about homosexuality, I'm relieved that the lovely Swedes who did a great job in 2013 will be hosts again. And even if the 2013 ESC and this year's ESC showed that also smaller venues work well with the ESC, I think that this time around, they'll go to Friends Arena. I'm curious whether they'll choose Petra Mede as host again, who also did a great job two years ago.

I'm a bit disappointed that Australia didn't win. Guy Sebastian delivered a great performance as well, and it would have been charming to see them return to the ESC, since they still show so much enthusiasm and pride about the event and would probably only send quality entries. But there's hope that EBU will give them a permanent wild card, Jon Ola Sand already said that this is an "interesting idea": http://www.eurovisionplacenews.com/news/jon-ola-sand-australia-may-stay-in-eurovision

All in all, I think this was a surprisingly strong year in ESC history, with quite a lot of entries that would have deserved victory or at least a Top 5 placement. I also liked Belgium's, Cyprus', Latvia's and Austria's entries (the latter being another entry for which 0 points were totally undeserved). And Austria delivered a great show, with lots of class and very good hosts, even if Miriam Weichselbraun seemed a bit bitchy at times, for example during the voting. But, even if I didn't like the hypocrisy of Russia's entry, it was very classy of Alice Tumler to ask the audience in the hall to respect the result and keep politics out of the procedure when Russia was initially in the lead. The only thing which was a bit over the top in my opinion was the introduction of the grand final - too long, too overburdened with acts and famous names, and I could have done without three singing hosts. ;) But anyway, they did themselves proud.

And now I'm looking forward to (probably) Stockholm 2016!

^^ Speaking of Lithuania, russian trolls started attacking Lithuanians online for giving them zero votes and calling them pathetic and butthurt.

Maybe if they didn't tried to russify them and sent 1/4 of their population go gulags in Siberia for 50 years, they wouldn't be like that.

I have Lithuanian ESC fan friends, and they were delighted last night :-)

I just hope Russia stops sending these hypocritical peace, love and harmony songs - three in a row are enough. There's also good music out there without the need for politicising (and then complaining when they get a political response in the voting).

it was a surprise that even the utter tripe the BBC sent to the ESC this year (sorry, guys, but you at the BBC should really think about quitting the ESC altogether if you don't want to put up a serious performance anymore) got some points.

An average 6.6 million viewers, nearly 36% of all viewing between 8 and midnight, says the BBC won't be quitting the ESC any time soon. Clearly their audience loves having something to moan about.

So it was a surprise that even the utter tripe the BBC sent to the ESC this year (sorry, guys, but you at the BBC should really think about quitting the ESC altogether if you don't want to put up a serious performance anymore)

Erm, it's Eurovision. I thought that was the point.

Ann Sophie's 0 points were undeserved - even if I expected her to finish on a 20-ish rank due to the blandness of the song in a fairly strong field of contenders, her performance was very good. So it was a surprise that even the utter tripe the BBC sent to the ESC this year (sorry, guys, but you at the BBC should really think about quitting the ESC altogether if you don't want to put up a serious performance anymore) got some points.

Lol...it was probably Mozart compared to some previous British entry winners! "Boom Bang A Bang" anyone? Ah, they knew how to appreciate a good song back in 1969!!! ;)

But compared to the hypocritical twaddle of persistent block voting that continues to make an utter travesty of this contest, the lack of quality of the British entry is probably among the very least of its problems! Now if only the UK (or Germany) were situated in the Balkans or Scandinavia happily trading 12 points with each of our nearest neighbours! <_<

Edited by Mainad

I'm surprised that you guys defend your entry - I thought that you didn't like it either? ;)

And compared to this year's entry, Boom Bang A Bang at least showed that the UK wanted to win the ESC (that was what I meant by "serious performance"), and it was a song more in line with the tastes of the era than this year's song was.

Block voting is still a problem, but I think it has been substantially curtailed by the re-introduction of the jury vote. Just see where the ESC goes these days: Next year, we will have the sixth ESC in a Western/Northern European country since 2010, with only one ESC taking place in an Eastern European country. And Sweden would have probably won even without Scandinavian block voting, they got a substantial vote also from many non-Scandinavian countries. So I think this is less of a problem now, and so we can concentrate more on countries who fail to send quality despite having tons of musical quality in their country (=the UK) or on countries who send quality, but the wrong one to gain an audience (=Germany). ;)

Had it been telly vote only Italy would have won,

the jury's may be braking up the block voting but they have created a new problem.

I'm going to be controversial and suggest Sweden was never really the favorite,

the bookies just have a habit of exaggerating the popularity of Sweden's entry's, as they know every one like Abba and are prone to placing bets on Sweden,

The jury's have a difficult task how do they express there opinion without coming up with a result that is drastically different to the telly vote,

I guess they choose to leave the books favorite at the top

and adjust the other entry's,

unfortunately in this case the public didn't vote for the bookies favorite to win.

so creating the problem we now have to different winners.

I must say I went to the Eurovision site- and they have a total breakdown of the jury and tele vote for every country- and the voting of every judge from every country..so you can see exactly how everyone and ever judge BY NAME voted. There is no where to hide.

This is an amazing amount of transparency- much more so than ice skating for example.

I don't think the top 5 are really all that controversial....Sweden is a worthy winner.

Having had a re-watch, still bewildered that Sweden won

Take away the hot looking guy+"oooh look such cool graphics" factor you are left with a bland rubbish song

Eurovision lived up to the VISION part of it's name this time around and not as a SONG contest

Italy had the best "song" performance and should've won just as they did via the general public televoting. Russia, Latvia & Belgium just behind them imho

I wanted Italy to win! Watched it live when it was on at 5am here Sunday morn, dozed off during the middle but caught the ending entrants and their songs. I voted for Italy.

It would have been nice had Italy won, they could have had a subtle Olympic theme with 2016 being an Olympic year, commemorating 10 years since Torino, or perhaps Rome or even Cortina. :P

Had it been telly vote only Italy would have won,

the jury's may be braking up the block voting but they have created a new problem.

I'm going to be controversial and suggest Sweden was never really the favorite,

the bookies just have a habit of exaggerating the popularity of Sweden's entry's, as they know every one like Abba and are prone to placing bets on Sweden,

The jury's have a difficult task how do they express there opinion without coming up with a result that is drastically different to the telly vote,

I guess they choose to leave the books favorite at the top

and adjust the other entry's,

unfortunately in this case the public didn't vote for the bookies favorite to win.

so creating the problem we now have to different winners.

There's only one winner and it's Sweden. It's 50/50. You need to do well in both jury and televoters. Italy's 6th place in jury voting is too bad to win ESC. Already in 2011 we had this issue. Juries wanted Italy to win but televoters wanted Azerbaijan ( actually it's really Sweden that won televote). If it was only televoting then Italy wouldn't be close to that 2nd place. They would be 11th instead. This is how the rules work. They will not always agree. But the total points is the most important. Edited by Pillan