Eurovision Song Contest 2015

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

England has never competed to the best of my knowledge.

The United Kingdom though, I think Im right in saying, with 57 appearances, 5 wins, 15 times come 2nd and 3 times 3rd. They arn't the most successful nation for sure but they are up there.

However the last of these top 3 finishes was 13 years ago, followed by three last places, including a nil points. But maybe BBC will get back on track this year, just to beat the former prison colony ;-)

Quite a shock at the German national pre-contest: Andreas Kümmert, a very talented singer with a great voice, actually won - but right on stage, he declined his election and handed it over to runner-up Ann Sophie, "because she is much more appropriate for the contest". What-the-****??? I'm still confused, especially since Kümmert delivered a great performance, bearing in mind that he had 40°C fever. I wonder whether that fever diminished his power of judgement...

However, while I still try to regain my breath ;) - here is Ann Sophie with her (well, sort of) winning song "Black Smoke", starting at 0:28:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6n4Z6lKeWY

And this was the man and the song the German viewers actually chose for Vienna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29K-lXb1Ag0

Do you really think that Ann Sophie is more talented and appropriate for the ESC? I'm clueless.

The poor girl was perplexed like probably every other person who witnessed it. She even asked "Am I really going to Vienna now?", but managed to deliver her winners' performance nevertheless.

Here is what Andreas Kümmert said:

"I want to say something about this shortly. I am overwhelmed by Germany. At the moment, I'm not in the condition to accept the election, I hand my title over to Ann Sophie. I simply think that she is much more fitting for it. I am only a small singer."

(In German: "Ich möchte kurz was dazu sagen. Ich bin überwältigt von Deutschland. Es ist momentan so, ich bin nicht in der Verfassung die Wahl anzunehmen, ich gebe meinen Titel an Ann Sophie ab. Ich denke einfach, dass sie viel geeigneter dafür ist. Ich bin nur ein kleiner Sänger")

Source (in German): http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article138116908/Kuemmert-gewinnt-ESC-Vorentscheid-und-lehnt-ab.html (the headline reads: "Éclat: Kümmert wins ESC selection - and declines")

This must be a first in ESC history, right? There were several contestants who were disqualified or replaced after the national selections, but as far as I know, there was never a resignation by an actual winner right on stage. Or do you know any other examples?

I don't understand it. On a Eurovision forum I'm on, people from Germany are saying he's faced allegations in Germany recently. Had you heard anything of that? Still, it's very strange indeed, whatever the reason :wacko: Was CAF there?

Yes, I've read of those allegations after tonight's show. A big German tabloid newspaper, "Bild", had reported two days ago that Andreas Kümmert has verbally abused female audience members during his pub concert last Saturday in the southwestern German town of Eppingen. The following German article says (quoting "Bild") that he got angry because the women kept on talking during his performance. Allegedly he told them "Why don't you simply f*** off?", "F*** off, you slu*ts" and "Come on, give me a blow job". And those were allegedly even the less obscene insults Kümmert used. Afterwards, the women pressed charges of sexual offence against him.

http://www.nordbayern.de/region/schwere-vorwurfe-gegen-soulsanger-andreas-kummert-1.4231500

I'm unsure whether that was the real (or only main) reason for his resignation, though. The guy who is in charge of organising the ESC broadcasts and national selections in Germany, Thomas Schreiber, said in a press conference afterwards that maybe Andreas Kümmert felt during the broadcast tonight that the media interest in him grows due to his good performance and that it all got too much for him. Tonight's presenter, Barbara Schöneberger, also said that maybe he felt that he isn't the right guy for the whole "ESC machine", as she called it.

I think he's not psychologically ready to be famous, to be honest, great voice or not.

There's enormous pressure in representing your country in ESC, and I fear he would have given in one way or another.

I think Universal totally failed - the record company should have known better when they suggested him.

Australian singer and X-Factor judge Guy Sebastian will represent Australia at ESC 2015

So what happens if we win? We could lobby for us to host and therefore break what would inevitably be a 50 win streak for Oz. :P

Alternatively, we are given the option to choose a host city (most likely the runner up). I'd like to see Australians vote for it, we can have an absurd European location be the centre of the music world for 1 week next year!

Archived