IOC in "secret talks" with London

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actual information in the article:

The chances of London being asked to step in were described as “infinitesimally small” by figures close to the Olympic movement

The rest is just typical British press running wild. And an excuse to show a picture of Jess Enis. So I'm cool with that.

Hahahah I love British humor!

What's next? Some disease street monkeys can cause to British tourists during the World Cup?

"El Influenza del Monkey" is devastating in Sain Paoloo

The report is so absurd that it contradicts itself several times. Reading this kind of journalism, I feel ashamed to look to my diploma and call those people colleagues... Really.

Deal with it, Tony. The British press isn't your mother for you to be defending it. They've been unleashing apocalypse at every event held outside the UK (even the very successful Vancouver games).

Here for you http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/09/us-olympics-rio-london-idUSKBN0DP11C20140509?feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews

And specially this part which confirms the reputation of some media sources you seem to hold so dearly:

(Reuters) - London has not been approached about the possibility of staging the 2016 Olympics due to delays in Rio de Janeiro, the IOC said on Friday in pouring cold water on English media reports that the Games could be moved.

Hmmmm....usually when papers have unnamed "sources" they don't bother with quotes. This at least has some quotes which suggests someone has said something to them. Who their source is and how reliable they are is the big question, and since the IOC has quickly scotched the suggestion, this seems to be a bit of a non-story in reality.

The last comment said it all: "A spokeswoman for the International Olympic Committee said the question of the Rio Games being moved to London was a “non-starter and unfeasible”."

So there you have it. Just the usual overblown paper talk with no shred of confirmation from any reliable IOC or associated source!

Apart from anything else, when would Londoners be consulted on such a proposal? For all the success and enjoyment they got out of 2012, would they really want to have their capital invaded and occupied again for the second time in only 4 years and who would stump up the costs?

The 2016 Games are going to be in Rio. That's where the IOC wanted them, that's where all of us interested in the Summer Olympic Games expect and want to see them and everyone will pull together and do their level best to ensure that it happens and, when they do, they are going to be simply fantastic!

End of!!

Well said Mainad. And anyway, I reckon that, in the very unlikely event an Olympics is moved the most likely back-up would be Beijing, not London. They've got an enormous stadium that is no more than a tourist attraction these days. No dealing with messy democracy either. It seems far more likely the Chinese would drop everything to host another Olympics at short notice than the UK.

Whilst it annoys me no end that some people deliberately don't want to understand the nuances of our media landscape, in this case it's just the Evening Standard reporting this story. This story has come from nowhere, nobody else is reporting it (or if they are it's a rehash of the ES's copy). This is a news story for a London paper, London-centric and it'll be fish 'n' chip paper tomorrow.

The main issue here is that Rio's stuttering start to their organisation and their rush now has created an environment where such stories can be written and taken seriously by many, even if they are fabricated or flimsy.

Tony does not understand just how detested the British media is outside of thd UK. We in NZ get a tast of it when the Royals visit.

BBC always hides behind it's name for integrity and lets not even start on the Murdoch owned rags.

We might as well say Melbourne will be in secret talks as well.

Tony does not understand just how detested the British media is outside of thd UK. We in NZ get a tast of it when the Royals visit.

BBC always hides behind it's name for integrity and lets not even start on the Murdoch owned rags.

All Media has issues. Stop picking on our Media, when all Media has it's pros and cons.

It's International Media, not just ours!

Tony I would not trust British media if my life depended on it. It's obsessed with rumors and gossip/starting sh!t. Hell, it hacks phones to get information.

All Media has issues. Stop picking on our Media, when all Media has it's pros and cons.

Tony, not like the British media does. We are not picking on your media, we are trying to open your eyes to how terrible it is. This news story was only created to stir up some talk, it has no factual standing, I have never seen that in American, French, or even German media.

It was Murdoch, a man who doesn't even come from Britain and who doesn't even live here that was instrumental in lowering the standards of the popular press in the UK to a great extent. Margaret Thatcher allowed him to acquire much of our press in return for his political support. Tony Blair also had secret understandings with him and was forever crawling up Murdoch's backside.

It's no coincidence that the phone-hacking scandal originated from one of Murdoch's newspapers which is why he and his son were forced to appear in a British court to defend themselves! Go figure!! <_<

So what? It's still known for it's gutter trash, and yes American media too has slipped back somewhat since the creation of Cable TV and more so with on demand News channels.

...and the topic here is inaccurate unsubstantiated UK based reporting on a topic that has no merit. Just blatant stirring. This comes up everytime someone hits at things not going well two years out, but the host city seems to cross the line in the end.

The only time I've seen a major multisport event comming close to being severly disrupted is CWGs 2010.

And as I keep saying, the British media, by track record, does have a sour history, just ask the Royal family...

Well said Mainad. And anyway, I reckon that, in the very unlikely event an Olympics is moved the most likely back-up would be Beijing, not London. They've got an enormous stadium that is no more than a tourist attraction these days. No dealing with messy democracy either. It seems far more likely the Chinese would drop everything to host another Olympics at short notice than the UK.

Will it be Beijing 2016? Chinese capital could be set to relive 2008 as Rio preparations slammed by Olympic chiefs

BY KROW, additional reporting by some guy at some british paper

Beijing has been secretly asked if it would be able to take over the 2016 Olympics because Brazil is so far behind on preparations, krow has learned.

An informal approach was made by Olympics bosses to discover whether enough venues from the triumphant 2008 Beijing Games could be brought back into use.

The disclosure follows growing panic at the International Olympic Committee over the shambles in Rio, where organisers are badly behind schedule.

IOC vice-president John Coates has called Brazil’s preparations “the worst I’ve experienced”. He told a Sydney conference last month that construction had not begun on some venues, infrastructure was significantly delayed and water quality was a major concern with just two years to go.

“The IOC has formed a special task force to try to speed up preparations but the situation is critical on the ground,” he said, calling the intervention “unprecedented”.

A source told the Evening Standard: “At a comparable planning stage in 2004 Athens had done 40 per cent of preparations on infrastructure, stadiums and so on. London had done 60 per cent. Brazil has done 10 per cent — and they have just two years left. So the IOC is thinking, ‘What’s our plan B?’

Another source with knowledge of the Olympic bidding process told krow that "in the very [EXTREMELY likely] event an Olympics is moved the most likely back-up would be Beijing."

"They've got an enormous stadium that is no more than a tourist attraction these days."

"It seems [extremely and almost certainly] likely the Chinese would drop everything to host another Olympics."

The source added the Chinese government could easily find the funds and that there would be less red tape than in a full democracy.

A spokeswoman for the International Olympic Committee said the question of the Rio Games being moved to London was a “non-starter and unfeasible”. She was not asked about Beijing.

another scoop for krow!

Here in Brazil, the British media was never taken seriously too...

101015star.jpg

What a complete and utter non-story. Rumours! Hear'say! How demoralising for Rio to hear this. It's one thing having an IOC member tell you 'your preparation is dire and pathetic', but to hear you may lose the games...

Also, I agree with Rob. If any city would pick up from Rio, it would be Beijing. London, is not viable at this point - what with changes to the Olympic stadium and other venues.

Horrible and ugly reporting from the evening standard.

Danny, to be fair, your continuous attacks on the British media are also pathetic. Rio is in trouble, and tho I agree that journalism has fallen short on this issue surrounding switching the games, the media in England are to be credited with their persistence re FIFA, and other matters, when others have dropped their stories.

The rest of the world has been reporting on Rio's preparations.

Archived