Melbourne wants to be the World's Plan B

Wow, my head also hurts after reading that last sentence. mr. bernham, you're off the hook.. this is now the most ignorant comment in the thread.

GCL, first off, it's Super BOWL. 2nd, you don't honestly think the America's Cup is as big as the Super Bowl, do you?

Super Ball, America's Cup '87, MH370 = Perth Australia power city toward 2024 Olympics and Paralympics Games.

As an Australian I agree with Bernham.

I live in Australia and majority of people I know cracks jokes about both Tasmania and Perth.

I had a family member that had to move to work there for 6 months and came back and described it as "the most boring place". There is nothing to do. And I would bet that people wouldn't know where Perth is.

Thought this was funny and also proves my point and Bernhams. This was some News network in America following the search for MH370

BjNz_xKCEAE5chW_zpsdac3735e.jpg

Well at least they found Australia...no joke I met someone who thought Australia was a state in Germany...FACEPALM

It is pretty amazing the world class facilities Melbourne has all close to the CBD.. the MCG (main stadium), Aquatic Complex, Tennis Centre that has a large indoor/outdoor arena and velodrome, 55000 indoor/outdoor arena, new rectangular stadium, Grand Prix track etc... Melbourne could host with a few years notice.

As for Perth, dare I say it is a little ...ahem ... small and isolated with very few facilities, not even a single decent stadium.

Another thing to add is that Melbourne would simply be a great place to have the games. I firmly believe that in any bid the city went into they would be a favorite.

I agree about them being a great host. I'd love to see a Games there in my lifetime.

Melbourne would without doubt be a favourite - but I'd despite having hosted 1956, I don't think I could see it being a Madrid to Sydney's Barcelona.

I think if faced with a weak field for (as example) 2032 - it could pull a surprise upset win, but its a stretch. We just hosted an iconic Games 14 years ago.

But yes - Melbourne would be an amazing Olympics. Despite Sydney 2000 being incredible, I've always thought that Melbourne 1996 is one of the great Olympics that never happened. .

In addition, my favorite country to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup was Australia. Their project was great and still wonder how come corruption is more powerful than an evident well-organised hosting country like Australia.

Oil talks.

Plus we're one of the least corrupt countries in the world - not the most inviting environment for an organisation like FIFA which is run by money hungry peasants without ethics.

It is pretty amazing the world class facilities Melbourne has all close to the CBD.. the MCG (main stadium), Aquatic Complex, Tennis Centre that has a large indoor/outdoor arena and velodrome, 55000 indoor/outdoor arena, new rectangular stadium, Grand Prix track etc... Melbourne could host with a few years notice.

As for Perth, dare I say it is a little ...ahem ... small and isolated with very few facilities, not even a single decent stadium.

Perth will have an new 60-80,000 seater Stadium by 2018 which will be the 3rd biggest in Australia you know.

Perth will have an new 60-80,000 seater Stadium by 2018 which will be the 3rd biggest in Australia you know.

Great Melbourn's and Sydney's are bigger. Shove it, Perth will NEVER happen, I could point out ten cities in the world that have bigger stadiums than that and they will never host.

It is crazy, but Pyongyang bidding for a future Olympics would be very interesting to see, provided they make HEAPS of concessions to allow for foreign spectators to be permitted to roam about freely in the country.

That Chongchun Sports Street, although small in capacity of their venues, could easily serve as the main training complex, with athletes village nearby and the nearby hotels/hostels used for athlete related guests, such as relatives.

Expand the subway as originally intended and allow for use by spectators. There's an unused 2nd runway at the international airport, build a legacy white elephant international terminal there, whilst using the recently built new terminal for athletes, officials and the IOC, with the original one for sole use by Air Koryo.

Okay, had it been anybody else, I would've been like "WTF", but considering the source, I'm not that surprised. Just file it under another one of LD's wacky notions, along with the likes of Edmonton, Baku, Lake Placid III, etc, & now this. Never ceases to amaze. Anything for another bid book, huh.

Hey, if North Korea and Kim Jong-Un really wants to open itself to the world, then an Olympic bid would require them to make huge concessions for foreigners and athletes. It's wacky, but it's not like they have zero sporting infrastructure on ground.

It's not just for another bid book, the idea has been popped up several times over here, I'm just speculating on how it can work.

As for Baku, they are actually bidding and with time they will eventually host. Perhaps even before Istanbul.

Archived