IOC Awards Olympics Broadcast Rights to NBC Through 2032

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/ioc-awards-olympics-broadcast-rights-nbc-through-2032-n99391

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Wednesday awarded NBCUniversal (NBCU) the broadcast rights in the USA for the Olympic Games through to 2032.
NBCU has acquired the broadcast rights across all media platforms, including free-to-air television, subscription television, internet and mobile. The agreement from 2021 to 2032 is valued at USD 7.65 billion, plus an additional USD 100 million signing bonus to be used for the promotion of Olympism and the Olympic values between 2015 and 2020.
The agreement is a major contribution to the long-term financial stability of the entire Olympic Movement. The IOC distributes more than 90 per cent of the revenue it generates to support the International Sports Federations; the 204 National Olympic Committees and their Olympic teams; and the Organising Committees of each Olympic Games.

You have to think that NBC is expecting and will push for a US Olympics somewhere in that time frame.

By the same token though, the IOC has their wealth of American TV money. So will they be motivated to put an Olympics here knowing NBC has little to no leverage in terms of how much money they're offering.

But those will all be tape-delayed! YUCK!!...

Interesting that the IOC doesn't even engage a bidding war anymore. Wonder why?

Except if you have a computer, which most people posting on Internet sites do :P

No idea why the IOC would lock in such a long term deal like this. Maybe they're that confident in their future with NBC. Likewise, NBC is that confident in their future with the IOC.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw this was, so much for those who thought the recent US snubs would harm IOC TV deals.

But insidethegames are saying "this advance is partly explained by the fact that the 12 years covered by the new deal will almost certainly include the first Summer Olympics to be staged in the US in the current millennium".

http://www.insidethegames.biz/news/1019910-nbcuniversal-buys-us-olympic-rights-through-to-2032-in-massive-boost-to-olympic-movement

I wonder if this was spoken about and whether there's even an unspoken agreement that a US Games ought to come from the next two cycles.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw this was, so much for those who thought the recent US snubs would harm IOC TV deals.

But insidethegames are saying "this advance is partly explained by the fact that the 12 years covered by the new deal will almost certainly include the first Summer Olympics to be staged in the US in the current millennium".

http://www.insidethegames.biz/news/1019910-nbcuniversal-buys-us-olympic-rights-through-to-2032-in-massive-boost-to-olympic-movement

I wonder if this was spoken about and whether there's even an unspoken agreement that a US Games ought to come from the next two cycles.

That's what I'm curious about the Modus Operandi here. Is the thinking more "let's lock NBC in through whenever the next Olympics on U.S. soil occurs" or is it more "we've got NBC's money, we don't have to worry about where they want the Olympics." All I can read from this is that the 2 sides are extremely content with their relationship and more than happy to extend it further and set the price point now rather than later.

But is that any more than one reporter's opinion?? I read this as "See, NBC does't really care if the games come to the US."

This also hints that somewhere in this time frame that most of us here will see through, a USA hosting of BOTH Summer and Winter Olympics. The revenue stream is simply too good to miss.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/ioc-awards-olympics-broadcast-rights-nbc-through-2032-n99391

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Wednesday awarded NBCUniversal (NBCU) the broadcast rights in the USA for the Olympic Games through to 2032.
NBCU has acquired the broadcast rights across all media platforms, including free-to-air television, subscription television, internet and mobile. The agreement from 2021 to 2032 is valued at USD 7.65 billion, plus an additional USD 100 million signing bonus to be used for the promotion of Olympism and the Olympic values between 2015 and 2020.
The agreement is a major contribution to the long-term financial stability of the entire Olympic Movement. The IOC distributes more than 90 per cent of the revenue it generates to support the International Sports Federations; the 204 National Olympic Committees and their Olympic teams; and the Organising Committees of each Olympic Games.

Steve-carrell-nooo.gif

This also hints that somewhere in this time frame that most of us here will see through, a USA hosting of BOTH Summer and Winter Olympics. The revenue stream is simply too good to miss.

Amen to that, I guess I can look forward to a 2026 or 2030 Winter Games!

That's what I'm curious about the Modus Operandi here. Is the thinking more "let's lock NBC in through whenever the next Olympics on U.S. soil occurs" or is it more "we've got NBC's money, we don't have to worry about where they want the Olympics." All I can read from this is that the 2 sides are extremely content with their relationship and more than happy to extend it further and set the price point now rather than later.

I think NBC is definitely hedging their bets that the U.S. will host the Summer Games at some point between 2024 and 2032. If the U.S. does host, this deal will end up being a steal for NBC. A competitive race for the rights fees to a U.S. Summer Games would probably drive the price close to $2 billion for that Summer Games alone. NBC will now get those Games for about $500 million less than that. If the current lack of interest in Winter bids continues, it's very possible that 2026 or 2030 will end up in North America as well, making this deal even sweeter.

This is a huge risk for NBC. Who knows what the media landscape will be like in 5 years, let alone 18 years from now. I'm happy though that the Games will stay with NBC instead of ending up in the hands of ESPN or even worse, FOX.

But is that any more than one reporter's opinion?? I read this as "See, NBC does't really care if the games come to the US."

I was thinking the same thing. My inclination is that it's the latter rather than the former.. his opinion, not something he's reporting

I think y'all are approaching this from the wrong angle. NBC is purchasing the rights to the Olympics through 2032 under the assumption that buying the rights now at 2014 prices will be a long-term beneficial investment as the 2022 or 2026 prices might be substantially higher than they are now.

I too would have to think that the USA would eventually host more likely a Summer Olympics, if not both with the Winter, under this new NBC Olympic deal up to 2032. Maybe NBC will make a profit from a few of them as a steal, as Barcelona_92 posits. With the way how media technology rapidly evolves, there will be even more ways to watch and make it on demand. I would wager well before this extension ends, we will see serious changes in the NBC Olympic TV broadcasting structure by going live with all events and online/mobile coverage will well ecplise TV viewing, among other things.

Like to see other voices regarding the NBC extension saying it's good or bad.

Yeah, but the IOC is the one that came to NBC, though. The price tag to broadcast the Games just keeps going up. That's $1.3 Billion per Games. Up from the $1.1 Billion from their previous combo-deal. If the prices "might be substantially higher" for future Games, then why would the IOC want such a long-term agreement. I mean, how much more can these Games really be worth. Seems like the IOC was the one that was wanting to lock-in some long-term financial stability with this deal than NBC wanting a "good deal".

Leads me to the question: How long will IOC asking price keeps going up with NBC's overhead until even it decides the fee is too high? We've already seen this with the CBC after the initial Canadian offer (Bell Media? Rogers? Shaw? CBC?) was rejected for the Sochi-Rio cycle many months earlier.

Leads me to the question: How long will IOC asking price keeps going up with NBC's overhead until even it decides the fee is too high? We've already seen this with the CBC after the initial Canadian offer (Bell Media? Rogers? Shaw? CBC?) was rejected for the Sochi-Rio cycle many months earlier.

I don't think NBC is comparable to the Canadian situation. NBC creates a massive portion of the IOC's revenue, and the Olympics will always be a jewel event for American networks that will result in bidding wars. As for Canada, they're probably the fourth or fifth largest in terms of television revenue for the IOC, so there has to be a cieling somewhere.

I don't think NBC is comparable to the Canadian situation. NBC creates a massive portion of the IOC's revenue, and the Olympics will always be a jewel event for American networks that will result in bidding wars.

The thing is, this time there was no 'bidding wars'. The IOC just went to NBC & said "give us moe money?!" And NBC said "sure, just close the vault door on your way out".

The thing is, this time there was no 'bidding wars'. The IOC just went to NBC & said "give us moe money?!" And NBC said "sure, just close the vault door on your way out".

No, but my point was that there will always be a massive interest in the Games from a US network perspective. By 2032 NBC will have a massive Olympic brand that they'll probably wager anything to maintain.

Archived