1. 1. Who will host 2022?

• Almaty
    • Beijing
    • other
  2. 2. Who do you want to host 2022?

• Almaty
    • Beijing
    • other

If this was the case then I think that Beijing wold get it based on their experience.

But like the Commonwealth Games Federation for 2022, I think the IOC will be looking closely at this situation and behind the scenes encouraging changes to its bidding process to allow other bidders.

If Almaty & Beijing were left standing, I hope it would go to Almaty.

#1 - No 3 East Asian Olympic Games in a row.

#2 - Beijing's the WRONG anchor city. IOC was not crazy with them (the PRC) after 2008. The 2008 Official Records are the worst I have seen in history.

#3 - Almaty offers a more compact plan.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

If Almaty & Beijing were left standing, I hope it would go to Almaty.

#1 - No 3 East Asian Olympic Games in a row.

#2 - Beijing's the WRONG anchor city. IOC was not crazy with them (the PRC) after 2008. The 2008 Official Records are the worst I have seen in history.

#3 - Almaty offers a more compact plan.

I agree.

I agree.

If the IOC want to go to China for the Winter Games then they would want to go to Harbin 1st I feel like it will be like going to Cape Town South Africa for the 1st African Olympics like Rio de Janeiro is the most iconic city in South America with Lima Peru as the 2nd most iconic city, Go for the most iconic city in the place and Harbin is the most iconic winter city in China, I think they will bid with Beijing for the next two games then go with Harbin for the 2030 Winter Games which by 2030 China will be the superpower of the world, Almaty Kazakhstan will most likely be picked for the 2022 winter games host city to go to the only place in Asia which is non East Asian place which could host an Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games.

I was thinking about Barcelona bid lately. Would Barcelona be a favourite if Oslo and Krakow withdrew?

Probably not since Barcelona is not bidding, therefore hard for them to be a favorite. Now in the hypothetical if Barcelona had put in a bid, tough to tell where they'd fall since we've never really seen what they have to offer. At the last is say they'd probably have been competitive IF they had a decent technical bid to put up

Barcelona has the same problem any western power faces: public support. If Barcelona had put in a decent bid with strong public support, I think they would be the favorite.

But I'm not sure Barcelona would have good public support, especially if measured over all of Spain. Can't see the rest of the country spending money to make Catalonia look good.

• Like 1

Probably not since Barcelona is not bidding, therefore hard for them to be a favorite.

Yes, I'm aware of that :) My question was purely hypothetical.

we've never really seen what they have to offer.

We did. They proposed a quite compact, two zones plan, Barcelona for ice events, and La Molina-Pyrenees for snow events. Most of the problems with previous Jaca bids (accomodation, transport, general infrastructure) could have been covered by Barcelona this time.

But I'm not sure Barcelona would have good public support, especially if measured over all of Spain. Can't see the rest of the country spending money to make Catalonia look good.

Especially after third consecutive Madrid's fail... You are probably right.

Yes, I'm aware of that :) My question was purely hypothetical.

We did. They proposed a quite compact, two zones plan, Barcelona for ice events, and La Molina-Pyrenees for snow events. Most of the problems with previous Jaca bids (accomodation, transport, general infrastructure) could have been covered by Barcelona this time.

It's still a loaded question though. Sure, we have an idea about the technical aspect of the bid, but to zeke's point, do we know if the city and the country supports it? That as much as anything would determine if Barcelona would be a favorite or not.

I think if it comes down to these two - it will be Almaty. However, I don't think Beijing is the write off everyone paints it to be. In fact, their gigantism from 2008 could play in their favour if they pander to the legacy sensitive IOC. Building on the shoulders of 2008 is more sustainable than a potential Sochi show up at Almaty.

I think if it comes down to these two - it will be Almaty. However, I don't think Beijing is the write off everyone paints it to be. In fact, their gigantism from 2008 could play in their favour if they pander to the legacy sensitive IOC. Building on the shoulders of 2008 is more sustainable than a potential Sochi show up at Almaty.

Boom! My entire argument!

I don't think that 'everyone' is writing off Beijing. I'm certainly not the way this 2022 race is panning out. It's only a select few that are on the Almaty bandwagon, (& if it did came down to just those two).

Interesting that you say, though, that Almaty could be a Sochi 2.0, while the Almaty group argue that they would be "cheap Games" cuz supposedly they have a lot of things in place. Just goes to show that all of the information about Almaty is gray at best, & that's what makes it very questionable from the get-go.

Boom! My entire argument!

Sorry Mate, but how is that your entire argument? Runningrings is saying the complete opposite to what you have been saying. Runningrings is saying that Beijing would be more sustainable and more Legacy Minded then Almaty would, because Almaty would be a 'Sochi 2.0'. If that's the case, that would work against Almaty 2022, but you prefer Almaty over Beijing?

• Like 1

What makes you think that it will be a "show up"?

And really how sustainable were the 2008 games? China sure as hell didn't sustain the air pollution levels, now they're even worse than before and not reccomended for humans to live in!

I don't think that 'everyone' is writing off Beijing. I'm certainly not the way this 2022 race is panning out. It's only a select few that are on the Almaty bandwagon, (& if it did came down to just those two).

Interesting that you say, though, that Almaty could be a Sochi 2.0, while the Almaty group argue that they would be "cheap Games" cuz supposedly they have a lot of things in place. Just goes to show that all of the information about Almaty is gray at best, & that's what makes it very questionable from the get-go.

Errr, I wouldn't say the information is gray or vague because some people "assume" that the games are going to be blown out of proportion all because nearby Sochi's costs blew out of proportion.

Jumping to conclusions there, are you FYI ;)

I am a great lover of Central Asia and the Silk Road (have travelled overland from Beiing to Tehran) and think Almaty would be fantastic. What often energises the Olympic movement and olympic experience for the people around the world and the athletes is something new and exotic and emerging- like the Games in Tokyo 64, Seoul 88, Beijing 08, even Sydney at the dawn of the new Millenium.

Of course it is not without its risks as we see in Rio 16.

I would love to see this beautiful and magical part of the world have its moment on the world stage.

• Like 2