Oslo 2022 Bid In Jeopardy

GBModerator

Exaggeration. Anyway, I never said Britannia ruled the World did I?

England needs to withdraw from the EU IMO.

*Britain needs to withdraw. England isn't a sovereign country.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I hope the Germans realize that if anyone they are the people and nation the IOC wants to give the games to.

So what? Then the IOC should provide arguments to the Germans why we should want their gift. The official reaction after the failed Munich referendum surely didn't show all that love.

England needs to withdraw from the EU IMO.

Tony - since you seem to use this forum as your homeschool.... let's expand upon that. How about you give us the five biggest benefits to the UK from being in the EU. Then the five biggest negatives. Then carefully explain why the negatives outweight the positives.

Tony - since you seem to use this forum as your homeschool.... let's expand upon that. How about you give us the five biggest benefits to the UK from being in the EU. Then the five biggest negatives. Then carefully explain why the negatives outweight the positives.

I can't think of many positives:

Negatives:

- We don't control our Country, the EU does.

- Immigration is uncontrollable. I have no issues with people living here, but not when it's uncontrollable.

- EU gives criminals rights, which they shouldn't have.

- Countries in EU are going bankrupt.

Positives:

?

Negatives:

Good grief. Stop acting like a 16-year old school drop-out. You can't *think* of any positives? You have a magic box that is connected to an extrodinary wealth of information. Men throughout history would have killed for that knowledge. Yet you ignore it and can't "think" of any advantages of being in the EU.

Stop being ignorant. Research, learn, study. Find out why GB joined the EU. What were the debates at the time? How have things changed since them. Get smarter?

Or, continue to let idiotic platidues rule your thinking. "We don't control our country... the EU does." That's just asenine - you know that, right? But if you choose to be ignornant, could you at least spare us and not share that ignorance with us. There's no reason for you to post your opinions on topics you know nothing about, especially when they are off topic.

Good grief. Stop acting like a 16-year old school drop-out. You can't *think* of any positives? You have a magic box that is connected to an extrodinary wealth of information. Men throughout history would have killed for that knowledge. Yet you ignore it and can't "think" of any advantages of being in the EU.

Stop being ignorant. Research, learn, study. Find out why GB joined the EU. What were the debates at the time? How have things changed since them. Get smarter?

Or, continue to let idiotic platidues rule your thinking. "We don't control our country... the EU does." That's just asenine - you know that, right? But if you choose to be ignornant, could you at least spare us and not share that ignorance with us. There's no reason for you to post your opinions on topics you know nothing about, especially when they are off topic.

Do you live in the UK? If you do, then fair enough, you see from a different perspective to me. If not, don't judge my view. I live in it, you don't.

Do you live in the UK? If you do, then fair enough, you see from a different perspective to me. If not, don't judge my view. I live in it, you don't.

I'm not judging your view. I'm judging your ingornace and laziness. If you can't think of a single benefit of the EU, that's ignorance. If you can't be bothered to learn about those benefits, that's laziness. Both of which I can judge from any country in the world.

PS - You don't "live in it". You live a totally sheltered life with your parents providing you everything.

OK, we are going there are we? Point by point then....

The best estimate of how much EU law influences the UK is about 15%. So the sweeping statement "we're not in control of our own country" is scaremongering rubbish. If we had no control of our own country how come the new direction the Coalition has taken us in has caused so much friction. Surely if the EU was in control of everything the 2010 UK election would've made no difference to anything in this country!

Immigration is another issue which is overplayed. Remember the headlines about 10s of thousands of Romanians coming over here when they joined the EU? Nothing like that happened. But whilst we're on the subject, it works both ways. Hundreds of thousands of economically inactive, retired Brits sun it up in Spain whilst we tend to enjoy people of working age coming here and contributing to the economy. Furthermore, 1 in 7 new businesses in the UK last year, businesses which employ people in this country were founded by immigrants. Nobody ever mentions that.

Criminals should have rights. Not complete rights, but some rights. I hope, for example, the European Court sees a challenge to Chris Grayling's medieval "no books for prisoners" rule which is likely to have a dreadful impact on rehabilitation. The appeals process for deporting foreign-born criminals which goes to higher European courts is too slow and could do with reform, but the ECHR is generally a good thing. It was set up largely by British lawyers and our courts adhear to it closely (which isn't difficult because it has a lot of influence from our own laws). As a result relatively few cases go to the European court from the UK and many appeals are rejected as the European court agrees with our court's judgement. But nations where the law is less robust benefit hugely leading to a more stable continent overall which we can trade with.

Countries in the EU are in financial trouble but that is at least in part because of the miserable single currency experiment where there were no central fiscal controls rather than the EU itself. But it's not as though the UK hasn't had its own financial crisis is it? Being outside the Eurozone has made things easier for us in being able to control our own interest rates, but being in the EU means we've got a huge trade-zone and we have a say on the regulations within that zone. If we were outside of the EU we'd still be trying to trade with Europe but with no say over export, taxation, and other regulations.

80% of businesses based in the City of London want us to remain in the EU. Foreign investors in our manufacturing sectors like Nissan want us to remain in and have questioned whether they'd continue operations in the UK if we left. Investment in poorer regions of the UK comes from central European funds too.

I'm absolutely convinced, even if the EU does need reform in some areas, that if it wasn't there we'd be crying out for something like it. It has proved more effective as a bloc in dealing with several issues (not least sanctions against Russia recently) than any individual nation could be. If you're going to denigrate the EU Tony, you've got to do better than writing what reads like a terrible UKIP poster.

I'm not judging your view. I'm judging your ingornace and laziness. If you can't think of a single benefit of the EU, that's ignorance. If you can't be bothered to learn about those benefits, that's laziness. Both of which I can judge from any country in the world.

PS - You don't "live in it". You live a totally sheltered life with your parents providing you everything.

That last bit is true. But seeing as though I'm 17 in 3 Days, I'm starting to look for Jobs etc, so I'm slowly in the Big Wide World.

OK, we are going there are we? Point by miserable point then....

The best estimate of how much EU law influences the UK is about 15%. So the sweeping statement "we're not in control of our own country" is scaremongering rubbish. If we had no control of our own country how come the new direction the Coalition has taken us in has caused so much friction. Surely if the EU was in control of everything the 2010 UK election would've made no difference to anything in this country!

Immigration is another issue which is overplayed. Remember the headlines about 10s of thousands of Romanians coming over here when they joined the EU? Nothing like that happened. But whilst we're on the subject, it works both ways. Hundreds of thousands of economically inactive, retired Brits sun it up in Spain whilst we tend to enjoy people of working age coming here and contributing to the economy. Furthermore, 1 in 7 new businesses in the UK last year, businesses which employ people in this country were founded by immigrants. Nobody ever mentions that.

Criminals should have rights. Not complete rights, but some rights. I hope, for example, the European Court sees a challenge to Chris Grayling's medieval "no books for prisoners" rule which is likely to have a dreadful impact on rehabilitation. The appeals process for deporting foreign-born criminals which goes to higher European courts is too slow and could do with reform, but the ECHR is generally a good thing. It was set up largely by British lawyers and our courts adhear to it closely (which isn't difficult because it has a lot of influence from our own laws). As a result relatively few cases go to the European court from the UK but nations where the law is less robust benefit hugely leading to a more stable continent we can trade with.

Countries in the EU are in financial trouble but that is because of the miserable single currency experiment where there were no central fiscal controls rather than the EU itself. But it's not as though the UK hasn't had its own financial crisis is it? Being outside the Eurozone has made things easier for us, but being in the EU means we've got a huge trade-zone and we have a say on the regulations within that zone. If we were outside of the EU we'd still be trying to trade with Europe but with no say over export regulation, taxation, and other regulations.

80% of businesses based in the City of London want us to remain in the EU. Foreign investors in our manufacturing sectors like Nissan want us to remain in and have questioned whether they'd continue operations in the UK if we left. Investment in poorer regions of the UK comes from central European funds too.

I'm absolutely convinced, even if the EU does need reform in some areas, that if it wasn't there we'd be crying out for something like it. It has proved more effective as a bloc in dealing with several issues (not least sanctions against Russia recently) than any individual nation could be. If you're going to denigrate the EU Tony, you've got to do better than writing what reads like a terrible UKIP poster.

I don't fall for them figures. There there to try and Please people and hide the Truth IMO. So in this instance, I disagree with you Rob.

OK, we are going there are we? Point by miserable point then....

Criminals should have rights. Not complete rights, but some rights. I hope, for example, the European Court sees a challenge to Chris Grayling's medieval "no books for prisoners" rule which is likely to have a dreadful impact on rehabilitation. The appeals process for deporting foreign-born criminals which goes to higher European courts is too slow and could do with reform, but the ECHR is generally a good thing. It was set up largely by British lawyers and our courts adhear to it closely (which isn't difficult because it has a lot of influence from our own laws). As a result relatively few cases go to the European court from the UK but nations where the law is less robust benefit hugely leading to a more stable continent we can trade with.

Countries in the EU are in financial trouble but that is because of the miserable single currency experiment where there were no central fiscal controls rather than the EU itself. But it's not as though the UK hasn't had its own financial crisis is it? Being outside the Eurozone has made things easier for us, but being in the EU means we've got a huge trade-zone and we have a say on the regulations within that zone. If we were outside of the EU we'd still be trying to trade with Europe but with no say over export regulation, taxation, and other regulations.

I want us out of the EU. I'm sure we will be in a more comfortable position. Lack of Jobs for us, because the EU keeps our Borders open. It's my opinion and no one will change how I feel about the EU. In and out Referendum, Out seems to be getting more support. I'm voting an Out of EU.

Well that's fine then. Good to see lots of evidence based arguments against the points I've made there. :rolleyes:

Sorry. I didn't mean to come across as arrogant, I was just saying, that even in real life, people find it hard to persuade me to not believe in what I believe in.

Back to topic. People keep ruling out Oslo, but until they Officially withdraw, they are Favourites.

Why shouldn't criminals have rights? Here in America, after being let out of prison, you are taken away many rights. Even the criminals who have full-heatedly changed cannot have the rights they used to have. That may seem logical in your view, but in reality, the criminals hoping to seek a fresh start just absolutely cannot because of their past history. They are instead shut out, usually homeless, depressed, suicidal, and more likely to do more crimes.

Why shouldn't criminals have rights? Here in America, after being let out of prison, you are taken away many rights. Even the criminals who have full-heatedly changed cannot have the rights they used to have. That may seem logical in your view, but in reality, the criminals hoping to seek a fresh start just absolutely cannot because of their past history. They are instead shut out, usually homeless, depressed, suicidal, and more likely to do more crimes.

It's like a never ending cycle...

Sorry, I ignored all your other ridiculous posts (btw I warned you about going on about being from England and your patriotic crap)

But this post is just stupid. What do you define as a criminal? You don't know every single persons circumstance that is in prison in the UK. A woman could be in jail for self defense because her husband attacked her and she used self defense but she might have still gotten a conviction. And you believe what? These people don't deserve to own a home even after they've come out of jail and done their time? They don't deserve to work and therefore become unemployed and homeless? And what does that do? A lot of unemployed people on the streets would make your "world class beautiful London" very, very unattractive.

I am getting really sick of your crap.

That last bit is true. But seeing as though I'm 17 in 3 Days, I'm starting to look for Jobs etc, so I'm slowly in the Big Wide World.

I don't fall for them figures. There there to try and Please people and hide the Truth IMO. So in this instance, I disagree with you Rob.

I want us out of the EU. I'm sure we will be in a more comfortable position. Lack of Jobs for us, because the EU keeps our Borders open. It's my opinion and no one will change how I feel about the EU. In and out Referendum, Out seems to be getting more support. I'm voting an Out of EU.

Just had a quick 2 minute google and was able to come across this

"Unemployment in the UK has hit a 5 year low at 6.9%.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27046681

Following what Rob said, I live in a country which has built a giant hatred towards foreigners, we keep asylum seekers and those fleeing persecution in detention camps including hundreds of children and various agencies have said that they are not getting the basic necessities. The belief that these people are taking British jobs is clearly a lie, realize that these people are real and need help and stop seeing them as people that are "taking your jobs". If you're going to be moving into the "big wide world" and get a job, you need to get rid of your ridiculous, childish views.

Negatives:

- Immigration is uncontrollable. I have no issues with people living here, but not when it's uncontrollable.

- Countries in EU are going bankrupt.

Positives:

?

Tony Britain has more influence and power as an EU nation than if it were by itself. Britain is no longer an empire and has lost it's economic dominance, the EU insures that nations security and influence.

Also the only reasons nations are going bankrupt in the EU is because they joined the EU when they were not ready. They inflated their economic position and now they pay the price for it. Yeah it sucks, but that's what happens when you try to become something you are not.

I long for the day when Berlin is the capitol of Europe and the Windsor Family is no more (end sarcasm)

Just had a quick 2 minute google and was able to come across this

"Unemployment in the UK has hit a 5 year low at 6.9%.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27046681

Following what Rob said, I live in a country which has built a giant hatred towards foreigners, we keep asylum seekers and those fleeing persecution in detention camps including hundreds of children and various agencies have said that they are not getting the basic necessities. The belief that these people are taking British jobs is clearly a lie, realize that these people are real and need help and stop seeing them as people that are "taking your jobs". If you're going to be moving into the "big wide world" and get a job, you need to get rid of your ridiculous, childish views.

It's sad, still Oz is better then the crap we call America :P .

EU and Eurozone are not the same. Greece, Spain and Portugal joined the EU in the 80s. We can argue about the effect of the introduction of the Euro as common currency in those countries, but it has nothing to do with when they joined the *EU*.

EU and Eurozone are not the same. Greece, Spain and Portugal joined the EU in the 80s. We can argue about the effect of the introduction of the Euro as common currency in those countries, but it has nothing to do with when they joined the *EU*.

i was saying that Spain, Greece, and Portugal were not ready to be members when they joined.

Archived