Oslo 2022 Bid In Jeopardy

GBModerator

Rob is right in that it is not a done deal. Neither article says it is.

What this vote does do is continue the momentum of the opposition. There would have to be a surge of support for the bid to counteract this and that seems unlikely when only 39% of the population supports the bid, according to the most recent poll.

Government is contentious enough as it is without getting into a war over the Olympics. I think it's likely that the rest of Parliament will ride the current wave of opposition.

It's also worth noting that the pro-Olympic quotes in the Inside the Games article came from the bid's director of communication -- not other politicians who have a say in the government's support. The director of communication needs to sound positive until all hope is gone. In other words, she must "go down with the ship." I suspect that's what's happening here.

If you had read my full post, it's clear I agree with you.

@Kjello

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can't go and reopen the bidding so they can get more cities. I know they may not be happy with it but Almaty and Beijing (and unfortunately lviv) are still in the running. It would be a big slap in the face for these two cities and like many members here have said "don't piss off the Chinese". 2018 only had 3 bidders and they put Annecy through the shortlist so perhaps the IOC will allow Lviv to go through or just have a 2 horse race like the 2006 shortlist.

But neither Krakow nor Oslo has pulled out the race yet, so let's just see.

I don't want to start a fight by any means, I'm just wanting to give my two cents. The way things are going, the Olympics won't be around in 20 years, maybe even sooner. All because the Europeans would rather keep people subservient to the state rather than encourage initiative among kids. The same people demanding never ending pensions for video games and drug obsessed slackers which no one can afford are the same ones who whine and cry about hosting a sporting event. Have all those who hate the Olympics ever realized, if you don't like, then don't watch them?

I don't want to start a fight by any means, I'm just wanting to give my two cents. The way things are going, the Olympics won't be around in 20 years, maybe even sooner. All because the Europeans would rather keep people subservient to the state rather than encourage initiative among kids. The same people demanding never ending pensions for video games and drug obsessed slackers which no one can afford are the same ones who whine and cry about hosting a sporting event. Have all those who hate the Olympics ever realized, if you don't like, then don't watch them?

Look, go learn about the following things;

1. European politics

2. IOC politics

3. Olympic History

4. World politics

5. World History

6. European History

And come to the realization that any post that starts with , "I'm not trying to start a fight...but..." will always start a fight.

After accomplishing those things then come back and converse with us.

meh... if the Olympics die, there'll always be something of equivalence that would replace it. Besides, I'm pretty you don't have the ability to accurately predict the outcomes of current situations 20 years in the future. Not all things can go according to predictions. You never know, some events may happen between now and 20 years that could pull the Olympics through the non-evidence-supporting 20 years death date you have put up.

Look, go learn about the following things;

1. European politics

2. IOC politics

3. Olympic History

4. World politics

5. World History

6. European History

And come to the realization that any post that starts with , "I'm not trying to start a fight...but..." will always start a fight.

After accomplishing those things then come back and converse with us.

That is the most obnoxious post I've seen on here in a long time. It would be incredibly rude and condescending coming from anyone, but it's even worse coming from a newbie who is still periodically misguided himself. Really off-putting.

What I actually came into this thread to post. Some more quotes, and a bit more context...

After a long debate, the Progress Party (Frp) has decided that they will not support an application to host the Olympic Games in Oslo in 2022.

With a slight majority of 115 of a total of 219 votes, including the support of Minister of Finance Siv Jensen, the Progress Party (Frp) National Assembly this past weekend decided not to support an application from Norway to host the Olympics. This means that the party will not support a guarantee for financial governmental aid if Oslo were to host the Winter Olympics in 2022.

However, Linda Cathrine Helleland, representative on the Conservative Party (Høyre) says that the Progress Party’s decision does not mean that all hope is lost for Olympics in Oslo. However, she is disappointed with their vote.

«I had hoped that the National assemblies of the government coalition parties would not decide on ongoing issues in Government before they are processed more thoroughly, and all necessary information is available,» Helland says.

Frank Willy Djuvik from the Progress Party in Sogn and Fjordane County voted no, and is very pleased. «Now we can congratulate the tax payers,» he tells Aftenposten.

Djuvik says that the expectation is that his fellow party members put pressure on the Conservative Party in order to stop the Olympics in Oslo. «It must have an enormous influence that the Progress Party and the Minister of Finance has voted against this,» Djuvik says.

Oslo’s Mayor Fabian Stang had hoped that the Progress Party would not vote on a final yes or no to the Olympics until the fall. Hopefully they will give themselves some more time and room until they come to a conclusion, Stang told Aftenposten on Friday.

After Saturday’s vote Stang is disappointed, but still hopeful. He says that the government will now have to decide whether they want a thorough debate in Parliament that includes all facts. «In that case it might be possible that the Labor Party would support the Olympics Games in Oslo,» Stang says.

http://www.norwaypost.no/index.php/news/latest-news/29775-the-progress-party-votes-against-oslo-olympics

You got to admit the future for the next Generation 25 years for Europe is very bleak the European Union is falling apart which will cause an civil war between Nationalist vs Globalist unrest forming in Eastern Europe economies failing massive debt problems the only two countries which is doing well right now is Russia and Germany that is all in Europe.

I see Germany getting either the 2024 or 2028 if there is strong support for it in Berlin. Europe will not be coming out of this mess soon and in 25 years there could be less European IOC members which the IOC will no longer be Euro Centric at all.

You got to admit the future for the next Generation 25 years for Europe is very bleak the European Union is falling apart which will cause an civil war between Nationalist vs Globalist unrest forming in Eastern Europe economies failing massive debt problems the only two countries which is doing well right now is Russia and Germany that is all in Europe.

I see Germany getting either the 2024 or 2028 if there is strong support for it in Berlin. Europe will not be coming out of this mess soon and in 25 years there could be less European IOC members which the IOC will no longer be Euro Centric at all.

The UK's Economy is growing. The only troubled economies are Greece, Spain and Italy. Seriously, where do you get your information from?

That is the most obnoxious post I've seen on here in a long time.

And yet, it was totally called for. When somebody blathers on and on about something they obviously know nothing about, yet think they actually know something, how else should you respond?

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

And yet, it was totally called for. When somebody blathers on and on about something they obviously know nothing about, yet think they actually know something, how else should you respond?

We should all ignore it?

Nah, never gonna happen! Not in this forum!!

Obviously they haven't. How many people in the US bitch and moan to no end about NBC's coverage of the Olympics and yet continue to watch. It would be like a person going to a restaurant and saying "this food is awful.. please can I have some more!"

The Olympics have survived through world wars, terrorist attacks, financial difficulties and more. I can't imagine that an event with the power to generate a billion dollars in television revenue in 2 1/2 weeks is going to go away anytime soon. At worst, maybe we're looking at a shift in the list of host cities/countries, but I can't see the Olympics simply dying out anytime in the foreseeable future.

Germany would be a good choice as the most economically powerful country in Europe.

Just that Germans aren't generally thrilled by the idea of hosting these days, otherwise the Munich referendum would have swung to the other side.

Just that Germans aren't generally thrilled by the idea of hosting these days, otherwise the Munich referendum would have swung to the other side.

Stefan, I brought this up to Rob in another thread, but I should pose the same question to you, although you may have already answered it.. Are Europeans (or more specific to you, are Germans) against the concept of the Olympic movement? Or is it just that your country doesn't want to spend it's time, energy, and money into hosting the Olympics and instead you'll leave that to other cities/countries?

Stefan, I brought this up to Rob in another thread, but I should pose the same question to you, although you may have already answered it.. Are Europeans (or more specific to you, are Germans) against the concept of the Olympic movement? Or is it just that your country doesn't want to spend it's time, energy, and money into hosting the Olympics and instead you'll leave that to other cities/countries?

Big question to answer while typing on an iphone heading home from work...anyway, I'll try how I see it. Other Germans here may have other views:

I don't think anyone really questions the Olympic Movement as such, but its institution, the IOC.

Especially from the SLC scandal onwards, media here have started to become more investigative, people heard about dubious connections of IOC members, the non-stance on human rights in China 2008 and certainly the OTT Sochi Games.

The latter came at a time of global crisis, which has passed Germany relatively unaffected so far, but triggers fear for the future anyway.

A very vocal group of people - maybe not even the majority, but enough to mobilise in referendums - is asking why money should be thrown at the IOC in these times. Plus, the inherent ecological issues with WOG.

During the Munich referendum campaign, one argument from the NO side was: Oslo is bidding, it would be natural to have WOG in Norway, let them have it.

As long as no drastic changed within the IOC happen, I don't see how a German bid can organise a YES in a referendum, though I might be too pessimistic.

Quite clearly though, Bach's election as President did not have a positive effect on the IOC image over here, if not even to the contrary.

The UK's Economy is growing. The only troubled economies are Greece, Spain and Italy. Seriously, where do you get your information from?

Dude, sure the UK economy is picking up. But Britannia's days of power are done. Germany has finally achieved what it has tried to do for centuries; control Europe.

Big question to answer while typing on an iphone heading home from work...anyway, I'll try how I see it. Other Germans here may have other views:

I don't think anyone really questions the Olympic Movement as such, but its institution, the IOC.

Especially from the SLC scandal onwards, media here have started to become more investigative, people heard about dubious connections of IOC members, the non-stance on human rights in China 2008 and certainly the OTT Sochi Games.

The latter came at a time of global crisis, which has passed Germany relatively unaffected so far, but triggers fear for the future anyway.

A very vocal group of people - maybe not even the majority, but enough to mobilise in referendums - is asking why money should be thrown at the IOC in these times. Plus, the inherent ecological issues with WOG.

During the Munich referendum campaign, one argument from the NO side was: Oslo is bidding, it would be natural to have WOG in Norway, let them have it.

As long as no drastic changed within the IOC happen, I don't see how a German bid can organise a YES in a referendum, though I might be too pessimistic.

Quite clearly though, Bach's election as President did not have a positive effect on the IOC image over here, if not even to the contrary.

Well I hope the Germans realize that if anyone they are the people and nation the IOC wants to give the games to.

Dude, sure the UK economy is picking up. But Britannia's days of power are done. Germany has finally achieved what it has tried to do for centuries; control Europe.

Exaggeration. Anyway, I never said Britannia ruled the World did I?

England needs to withdraw from the EU IMO.

Well I hope the Germans realize that if anyone they are the people and nation the IOC wants to give the games to.

Why should Germans think that? They've bid for three games this milinium. The put up Berlin, it got only a handful of votes. They put up Leipzig, it didn't even get shortlisted. They put up Munich, it got trounced. I don't know where the Germans would get the idea the IOC really wants to give them the games.

Archived