2016 Copa America Cup

Lionel Messi breaks record as Argentina reach Copa America final

Lionel Messi became Argentina's leading scorer with a superb free-kick as they beat hosts the USA 4-0 to reach Sunday's Copa America final.

The Barcelona forward, 28, passed Gabriel Batistuta's 54-goal tally with a 25-yard strike.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36593966

Well that was obvious to most people who know something about soccer, of which most Americans probably don't lol

The US only does well in the CONCACAF Gold Cup because North and Central American national teams aren't as strong as many South American teams. Sometimes they do surprise us, but I wouldn't hold my breath with a team like Argentina and a player like Messi.

The US national team still has some growing to do if it's going to be an international powerhouse.

I too honestly believed the Americans weren't going to win against Argentina in Houston, even if they still had midfielders Jermaine Jones, Alejandro Bedoya, and forward Bobby Wood. Many of us Americans, particularly those who hold a casual grasp of the sport, are like that dog who only hears "ruff ruff gold ruff ruff win ruff ruff Messi ruff ruff Argentina ruff ruff" when it comes to this. No shots on goal?!

Agreed that in the past 28 years the US men's national team has made impressive progress on the international stage. And are still improving. But we still have ways to go before having that international breakthrough as a powerhouse. The USA has yet to produce a bonafide crossover soccer star who's got all-galaxy talent like a Leo Messi or a Cristiano Ronaldo and is also dominant in a top-notch global league like Spain's La Liga and the English Premier League.

I too honestly believed the Americans weren't going to win against Argentina in Houston, even if they still had midfielders Jermaine Jones, Alejandro Bedoya, and forward Bobby Wood. Many of us Americans, particularly those who hold a casual grasp of the sport, are like that dog who only hears "ruff ruff gold ruff ruff win ruff ruff Messi ruff ruff Argentina ruff ruff" when it comes to this. No shots on goal?!

Agreed that in the past 28 years the US men's national team has made impressive progress on the international stage. And are still improving. But we still have ways to go before having that international breakthrough as a powerhouse. The USA has yet to produce a bonafide crossover soccer star who's got all-galaxy talent like a Leo Messi or a Cristiano Ronaldo and is also dominant in a top-notch global league like Spain's La Liga and the English Premier League.

Also wasn't Tim Howard missing from Copa America? He was the best goalie the US has ever had and I haven't even heard his name mentioned at all during this event. That was a MAJOR loss to the US as well since he's on record as the goalie with the most saves for the US.

Wait nevermind he was playing lol I just didn't recognize him without his beard he had throughout the World Cup.

Chile wins the Copa America Centenario, defeating Argentina once again in the penalty shoots. Congratulations!

I feel very bad for Argentina, though. Three finals in a row, lost. Is it safe to say the era of Messi is pretty much over?

Also this will shut the mouths of many who said Chile won in 2015 thanks to refball/host country advantage.

Lionel Messi: Argentina forward retires from international football

Lionel Messi announced his retirement from international duty after missing in a penalty shootout as Argentina lost a fourth major final in nine years.

"It's not meant for me. For me the national team is over. I've done all I can, it hurts not to be a champion," the 29-year-old said after defeat by Chile at the Copa America.

With Barcelona, Messi has won eight La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues.

But his only major international honour is 2008 Olympic gold.

BBC

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36637591

• 8 months later...

It seems that the Unites States Soccer Federation made $46 million in profit from this tournament. CONCACAF received $70 million in television revenue, and CONMEBOL got another $70 million. TV ratings for the group stages were higher in Mexico and the USA than they were for the World Cup.

For better or for worse, this format is going to come back. There is simply too much money on offer for CONMEBOL and CONCACAF to turn down. Most likely in the following four year rotation:

1. Copa America (CONMEBOL) and Gold Cup (CONCACAF)
  2. European Championship
  3. new cup (CONMEBOL + CONCACAF)
  4. World Cup

On the positive side a new cup hosted in the USA would allow smaller countries to host the Gold Cup. That would be great for countries like Guatemala.

Edited by Nacre