2016 Copa America Cup

Weren't they a Brazilian province? :P Meh, nevermind.

It's nevertheless larger than the Netherlands, Ireland and Switzerland combined with plenty of space remaining for Liechtenstein and Kosovo to join in the group.

Didn't the 2015 Pan American Games have a similar situation where they played the wrong anthem, on top of spelling Colombia wrong? lol

Just saw the OC was that really it? 15 minutes of 3 guys that I've never heard of, or don't care to know who they are singing while a bunch of people in the backgound rip off the Baku European Games OC and change the design on the top of their trampolines? lol that was sad as hell!

They could completely skip these ceremonies in football tournaments.

The official song of Copa América is very good. Pitbull was also the singer of the 2014 world cup song, but this one is much better.

Spelling Colombia wrong? Well this happened again. Look the adidas ad for Copa America.

columbia_2.jpg

Well, better Columbia than Homer mistake about Uruguay lol

T

Well, not having a good team plus being given the hardest qualifying path of any eligible team made it pretty unlikely form the start sadly.

True on both counts. But would be nice to see them there and perhaps earn bigger experience and tougher competition to take back in their World Cup Russia campaign.

Anyway, Canadian TV viewers wanting Copa America action from south of the border apparently will have to watch things only in Spanish through Univision Canada and not on TSN and RDS, where their soccer broadcasting focus is on EURO 2016 in France

Another thing: based on what I brought in the anticipation of the Pan American Games last year in Toronto, I made the point that Spanish is becoming the third most spoken language across Canada according to those demographic stats. Furthermore, it seems the only Canadian soccer fans interested in Copa America are the Latin contingent. Had Canada made it, we would see no doubt both French and English coverage like with the Women's World Cup and EURO 2016.

Peru just pulled out the shocker of this Copa America and beat Brazil 1-0, disqualifying them from the Copa America.

Looks like their nightmare is not over. Holy crap. :lol:

That goal is going to be very, very controversial though.

That goal was a volleyball move. Absurd, but Brazil should score at least one goal. they played bad and deserve the defeat. I hope Dunga can finally go now.

Thank God the Brazilian team left this soon and we avoided a worst embarassment. The more embarassed they are, the bigger the pressure to change the course of this failed football federation. And I hope we don't even get close to the olympic podium, because If Brazil manage to succeed in any tourneament, CBF will act as if they're doing their work properly.

Nice volleyball move from Peru, though. They're pretty good at it. ;)

A lot of Americans who don't watch a lot of soccer find it weird that the US is the 1-seed coming out of their group, even though they lost head-to-head to Colombia. Honestly, I don't pay a lot of attention, outside the big international tournaments. Is head-to-head almost always ahead of head-to-head in soccer, or is it just in the world tournaments?

A lot of Americans who don't watch a lot of soccer find it weird that the US is the 1-seed coming out of their group, even though they lost head-to-head to Colombia. Honestly, I don't pay a lot of attention, outside the big international tournaments. Is head-to-head almost always ahead of head-to-head in soccer, or is it just in the world tournaments?

What?

I think you wanted to say "is goal difference ahead to head-to-head"? It depends on the tournament regulation. For Copa América, points are the first criteria for classification, then comes goal difference (goals scored minus goals conceded), total goals scored and last is head-to-head i think. As USA and Colombia are tied in points, next criteria is goal difference and USA have 3 against 2 from Colombia. This is not so complicated. Other sports like volleyball uses more complicated formulas for some tournaments.

What took them so long? Dunga should had been fired after the shameful 7-1 back in 2014. They're pretty much acting as if they didn't gave a damn.

Also, our team is going to have to face Messi's Argentina in quarters. Ouch. Looks like our tale here is over unless a miracle happens.

What took them so long? Dunga should had been fired after the shameful 7-1 back in 2014. They're pretty much acting as if they didn't gave a damn.

Also, our team is going to have to face Messi's Argentina in quarters. Ouch. Looks like our tale here is over unless a miracle happens.

Venezuela beat Uruguay, so anything can happen.

Dunga was the coach during the world cup 2010 when we lost to netherlands and was fired for the first time. The coach of the 7x1 was Luis Felipe Scolari. Dunga got his second chance after the world cup in Brazil, but CBF should not give him this chance and called Tite at that time. Anyway, we still have time until 2018.

It almost looked as if they (Venezuela) gave up before the match even started. Though at least we can say we scored (and we could had scored a second one if it wasn't for the idiot who failed that Panenka penalty). Unlike Mexico which got its second worst defeat in history.

Everything points out that we'll have a repeat of the 2015 final, unless USA or Colombia pull a surprise.

Venezuela beat Uruguay, so anything can happen.

Dunga was the coach during the world cup 2010 when we lost to netherlands and was fired for the first time. The coach of the 7x1 was Luis Felipe Scolari. Dunga got his second chance after the world cup in Brazil, but CBF should not give him this chance and called Tite at that time. Anyway, we still have time until 2018.

Key thing happened with that Brazil-Netherlands game in South Africa when Oranje goalie Maarten Steklenberg made a save on what surely would've been a Brazil goal with a lead and granted some important momentum that could've carried the Brazilians through. How different things would've been for Dunga and the CBF if that hadn't occured.

Oh damn I thought we were barely done with the group stage didn't know we were at the semifinals now lol.

Looks like it'll be Chile VS Argentina for the finals, with the US more than likely losing to Colombia for 3rd.

If Colombia faces the USMNT in either match, I suspect the US will be favored. They've looked like the better team (after the 0-2 loss of course).

Uh, I don't think we are beating Argentina tonight.

Well that was obvious to most people who know something about soccer, of which most Americans probably don't lol

The US only does well in the CONCACAF Gold Cup because North and Central American national teams aren't as strong as many South American teams. Sometimes they do surprise us, but I wouldn't hold my breath with a team like Argentina and a player like Messi.

The US national team still has some growing to do if it's going to be an international powerhouse.