2016 Copa America Cup

• 1 month later...

Dear God! Brazil will fly across the country from first game in Pasadena to Orlando. And to think people freaked out about Manaus in 2014...

There's 3 full days between those games I highly doubt it will be an issue. If I were them I'd jump on the plane that same day, even red-eye it if they have to so that way they have more time practicing and resting in Orlando than have to do that in the middle of a 3-day break.

I'm surprised they would use Soldier Field for a semi-final game. Not only is it an uglyass stadium since the renovations, it's also one of the smallest in seating capacity at about 61,000. And at a capacity of over 90k, shouldn't the Rose Bowl be more fitting for the final, especially since it's in California, a state that has a far larger soccer/football following than New York? Terrible planning right there.

• 2 months later...

So much for thinking that it might be, you know, the actual Copa America. I take it the confederations aren't advancing merger talks off the back of this then?

A merger might work for the national teams, but it would be absolute hell for the clubs.

Club America won the 2016 CONCACAF Champions League last week after knockout out Seattle two rounds ago. As much as I enjoyed the competition (except for some Mexican fans shouting "puta" for an hour and a half), the travel is already pretty bad just within North and Central America.

Even domestically Seattle to Miami is farther than London to Baghdad. Seattle to Rio is farther than London to Bangkok. Would European teams be happy to be playing a midweek game in Thailand or Indonesia? They are already pissed off about the travel for Club World Cup, and they get a two week break for that.

I think we would be better off following the model of the European Super Cups or college bowl games for American Football. A one-off match between the winner of MLS and the Australian A-League or Brazil's top league would be fun for fans and could be hosted in the preseason of the away team.

Edited by Nacre

• 3 weeks later...

Funny promo poking at his infamous anti-Latin America speech :lol:

Kinda wish Canada was in Copa America's Centennial too.

Well, not having a good team plus being given the hardest qualifying path of any eligible team made it pretty unlikely form the start sadly.

Jamaica just beat 2015 Copa America champions Chile 2-1. The Reggae Boyz thus become the first CONCACAF team to defeat Chile at home.

I don't expect a North/Central/Caribbean team to win this, but the overall quality of the region is slowly improving. The CONCACAF teams should at least put up a good fight and make it an interesting tournament.

Brazil changes training venue after UCLA shooting

Brazil's national team had to change the venue of its training session on Wednesday after the UCLA campus where they planned to practice ahead of the Copa America Centenario became the scene of a shooting that killed two people.

Brazilian Football Confederation spokesman Douglas Lunardi said the players were at their hotel when the shooting occurred.

Lunardi said that the late afternoon training session was transferred to the StubHub Center, a multiple-use sports complex on the campus of California State University some 20 miles (30 kilometers) away.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2016/06/01/brazil-changes-training-venue-after-ucla-shooting/85257316/

Brazil changes training venue after UCLA shooting

Brazil's national team had to change the venue of its training session on Wednesday after the UCLA campus where they planned to practice ahead of the Copa America Centenario became the scene of a shooting that killed two people.

Brazilian Football Confederation spokesman Douglas Lunardi said the players were at their hotel when the shooting occurred.

Lunardi said that the late afternoon training session was transferred to the StubHub Center, a multiple-use sports complex on the campus of California State University some 20 miles (30 kilometers) away.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2016/06/01/brazil-changes-training-venue-after-ucla-shooting/85257316/

Ironically, UCLA is in one of the nicest areas of LA... bordering on the Bel Air Country Club for petes sake. Stub Hub is in South Central's Carson, bordering on Compton, which doesn't have a country club as far as I know.

We should. Since the first game, USA vs. Colombia, is at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara. Months ago, it hosted Super Bowl 50. Quite an eventful year so far for the stadium.

Turns out sadly the UCLA shooting/lockdown preventing Brazil from practicing there was a murder-suicide with a UCLA engineering professor and a Brooklyn Park, Minnesota woman his fatal targets and another UCLA professor targeted. Killer had a "kill list":

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/us/ucla-shooting/

Last match they played the Chilean anthem... for Uruguay! :blink:

Last time this happened was in 1982 World Cup in Spain. They played the brazilian flag song, not the national anthem. I 2014 World Cup they had a problem in a match of France but no anthem was played.

The planet that is not a planet? Well, we have Luxemburg, Monaco and Vatican that are cities, not coutries. But Uruguay is bigger.

It's raining a lot in Orlando for Panama-Bolivia. It's funny that US stadiums are the most expensive in the world and the fans pay for a ticket to stay in the rain. Or the stadims are entirely covered or entirely open.

The planet that is not a planet? Well, we have Luxemburg, Monaco and Vatican that are cities, not coutries. But Uruguay is bigger.

Uruguay is still only an Argentinean province though.

• Like 1

Last match they played the Chilean anthem... for Uruguay! :blink:

Last time this happened was in 1982 World Cup in Spain. They played the brazilian flag song, not the national anthem. I 2014 World Cup they had a problem in a match of France but no anthem was played.

Didn't the 2015 Pan American Games have a similar situation where they played the wrong anthem, on top of spelling Colombia wrong? lol

Just saw the OC was that really it? 15 minutes of 3 guys that I've never heard of, or don't care to know who they are singing while a bunch of people in the backgound rip off the Baku European Games OC and change the design on the top of their trampolines? lol that was sad as hell!