Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Survey Shows More Poles Against Krakow Hosting 2022 Winter Games

The IOC won't have 3 Asian Olympics in a row. Almaty may have the most Venues, but they aren't the strongest contender. Kazakhstan is too risky, as it's never Hosted a Major Sporting Event (Fifa World Cup, Summer Olympics, Winter Olympics, Commonwealth Games (Kazakhstan's not in the Commonwealth) or UEFA Euro). Norway has Hosted a Winter Olympics before. Poland Co-Hosted UEFA Euro 2012. China Hosted the 2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. Even Ukraine, Co-Hosted UEFA Euro 2012. Beijing and Almaty will only stand a chance if Oslo and Krakow withdraw, because PyeongChang 2018 and Tokyo 2020 are both in Asia.

It's not even to do with 'It's in Kazakhstan'. I also agree that Almaty won't win, but it's not because it's in Kazakhstan. It's because they haven't got experience in Hosting Major Sporting Events and the IOC won't have 3 Asian Olympics in a row.

In a normal race maybe so, but the IOC is out of choices. Both Oslo and Krakow are going down in flames, that leaves Beijing and Almaty.

The city hosted the 2011 Asian Winter Games and will host the 2017 Winter Universidad. That's some major experience.

What did I just say about arguments going in circles? Here's to another round of it!

It's like the Dominique song in American Horror Story...

In a normal race maybe so, but the IOC is out of choices. Both Oslo and Krakow are going down in flames, that leaves Beijing and Almaty.

The city hosted the 2011 Asian Winter Games and will host the 2017 Winter Universidad. That's some major experience.

2011 Asian Winter Games, Almaty had to Co-Host a much smaller Competition with Astana. Oslo and Krakow aren't out yet. Until they withdraw, Oslo is the front-runner. If it's only Beijing and Almaty left, I'm certain the Insurance Policy Beijing will win.

2011 Asian Winter Games, Almaty had to Co-Host a much smaller Competition with Astana. Oslo and Krakow aren't out yet. Until they withdraw, Oslo is the front-runner. If it's only Beijing and Almaty left, I'm certain the Insurance Policy Beijing will win.

It's still major experience, I do not believe that Beijing would win. It's too close to Tokyo and Pyeongchang at least Almaty is closer to Europe.

Almaty might be "closer" to Eastern Europe, but it's still at least equa-distance to Western Europe as it is to East Asia.

It's still major experience, I do not believe that Beijing would win. It's too close to Tokyo and Pyeongchang at least Almaty is closer to Europe.

Ok. Let's compare China's experience to Kazakhstan's:

China:

2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics in Beijing.

2014 Summer Youth Olympics in Nanjing.

2004 AFC Asian Cup Football.

1990 Asian Games in Beijing.

2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou.

Kazakhstan:

2011 Winter Asian Games (They had to Co-Host with Astana and Almaty).

2017 Winter Universiade in Almaty (Which hasn't been held yet).

I think that answers it.

Almaty might be "closer" to Eastern Europe, but it's still at least equa-distance to Western Europe as it is to East Asia.

Still if both Euro bids drop out, Almaty is their only shot at bringing/keeping the games in Europe.

Still if both Euro bids drop out, Almaty is their only shot at bringing/keeping the games in Europe.

Now what? First it's Middle East, now it's even Europe???

GET A MAP.

Kazakhstan has only a very minor part of it located in geographical Europe, and Almaty sure ain't in that part. Its location is the definition of "Central Asia", full stop. Nowhere else.

GET A MAP.

Kazakhstan has only a very minor part of it located in geographical Europe, and Almaty sure ain't in that part. Its location is the definition of "Central Asia", full stop. Nowhere else.

I know where it's located. Is it not closer to Europe than China? I think it is, I never said the country was Europe I'm saying it's closer than China.

What did I just say about arguments going in circles? Here's to another round of it!

This is Gamesbids. So unfortunately, we all have to get use to it. Not to mention add some newbies in here & every now & then, & of course old arguments get rehashed from time-to-time.

But Almaty ISN'T in Europe, though. Sorry, but talk about a grasping at straws argument.

Ok. Let's compare China's experience to Kazakhstan's:

China:

2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics in Beijing.

2014 Summer Youth Olympics in Nanjing.

2004 AFC Asian Cup Football.

1990 Asian Games in Beijing.

2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou.

Kazakhstan:

2011 Winter Asian Games (They had to Co-Host with Astana and Almaty).

2017 Winter Universiade in Almaty (Which hasn't been held yet).

I think that answers it.

Be careful with that argument, because we're talking about a WINTER event. All those events you listed in the China category are Summer events. So in terms of Winter events, Kazakhstan wins that battle.

• Like 1

Is it not closer to Europe than China? I think it is, I never said the country was Europe I'm saying it's closer than China.

Again, NOT Western Europe, though. Almaty is closer to Beijing & Tokyo, than say London & Paris.

This is Gamesbids. So unfortunately, we all have to get use to it. Not to mention add some newbies in here & every now & then, & of course old arguments get rehashed from time-to-time.

But Almaty ISN'T in Europe, though. Sorry, but talk about a grasping at straws argument.

Really FYI? This has nothing to do with 'newbies', its this bid race. I never said Kazakhstan was Europe I said it was closer to Europe than China is, I think that's a fair and true statement. Not to mention, from a cultural perspective the country is much closer to Europe as well.

I know where it's located. Is it not closer to Europe than China? I think it is, I never said the country was Europe I'm saying it's closer than China.

Are you honestly that ignorant as to where Almaty is?..

almaty1.jpg

• Like 1

Again, NOT Western Europe, though. Almaty is closer to Beijing & Tokyo, than say London & Paris.

Never said Western Europe. What the hell, do you think I have never seen a map? It does not matter if the city is closer, more the nation.

Really FYI? This has nothing to do with 'newbies', its this bid race. I never said Kazakhstan was Europe I said it was closer to Europe than China is, I think that's a fair and true statement. Not to mention, from a cultural perspective the country is much closer to Europe as well.

I hope you don't have a geography test coming up anytime soon. Kazakhstan shares a border with China. The biggest city Kazakhstan has that is close to that border is Almaty. Please tell me this is not actually a new revelation for you.

Never said Western Europe. What the hell, do you think I have never seen a map? It does not matter if the city is closer, more the nation.

Yes.. I think you have never seen a map. Or if you did, you forgot what it looked like.

• Like 1

I hope you don't have a geography test coming up anytime soon. Kazakhstan shares a border with China. The biggest city Kazakhstan has that is close to that border is Almaty. Please tell me this is not actually a new revelation for you.

No it's not a new revelation.

Yes.. I think you have never seen a map. Or if you did, you forgot what it looked like.

I know where the country is. I'm saying that culturally and historically Kazakhstan is much closer to 'Europe'.

GET A MAP.

Kazakhstan is more Europe them Turkey is 15% of Kazakhstan is in Europe while it is only 5% for Turkey then Rest in Asia so this Eurasia, Central Asian Eastern Europe Middle Eastern country Kazakhstan is the largest land lock country in the world and it is an very complex place in the world.

• Like 1

No it's not a new revelation.

Then you're an idiot. This isn't like Istanbul where the majority of the country is in Asia but the city is in Europe. Kazakhstan is more more in Asia and closer to Asia than it is to Europe. There's a tiny bit of the country that borders Russia and could be considered a part of Europe. The rest is IN Asia and it's closer to other countries in Asia. It shares much more of a border with China than it does with the European portion of Russia.

This has officially become a stupid argument. You originally said it was Middle East, then corrected yourself. Later you said it's not quite Europe and it's not quite Asia, but it's somewhere in the middle. No.. much like Turkey, it is much more in Asia than it is in Europe, and the city in question we're talking about is 100% in Asia.

Then you're an idiot. This isn't like Istanbul where the majority of the country is in Asia but the city is in Europe. Kazakhstan is more more in Asia and closer to Asia than it is to Europe. There's a tiny bit of the country that borders Russia and could be considered a part of Europe. The rest is IN Asia and it's closer to other countries in Asia. It shares much more of a border with China than it does with the European portion of Russia.

This has officially become a stupid argument. You originally said it was Middle East, then corrected yourself. Later you said it's not quite Europe and it's not quite Asia, but it's somewhere in the middle. No.. much like Turkey, it is much more in Asia than it is in Europe, and the city in question we're talking about is 100% in Asia.

Like GCL said, it's one of the most complicated regions in the world. Almaty is 100% in Asia, I'm not denying that. Yet from a cultural perspective the nation is seen as European. So if it came down to Beijing and Almaty, two games that will be in Asia, will they go for the city more aligned with Europe culturally, or the city right by Pyeongchang? I think they would go with the more culturally Europe Almaty.

• Like 1

Kazakhstan is more Europe them Turkey is 15% of Kazakhstan is in Europe while it is only 5% for Turkey .

Oh, okay. So that makes Kazahkstan very "European" then! :rolleyes:

Most of Kazakhstan is Asia, a tiny bit is Europe. Kazakhstan is a member of UEFA. News flash - Kazakhstan is not in the Middle East.