Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Survey Shows More Poles Against Krakow Hosting 2022 Winter Games

Actually, as of now there are still 5.

Doesn't look good. Disappointing that the mayor is telling people the Games will be profitable when that is clearly not the case.

Actually, as of now there are still 5.

Doesn't look good. Disappointing that the mayor is telling people the Games will be profitable when that is clearly not the case.

Oslo

Krakow

Lviv

Beijing

Almaty

I rest my case

Oslo

Krakow

Lviv

Beijing

Almaty

I rest my case

I think what Athensfan meant was - Officially, there are 5 Bidders left - In my opinion, there are 4 1/2 Bidders left (1/2 is Lviv) - :lol: Just joking. I still can't see how Oslo and Krakow can be ruled out. Until the referendum fails, Oslo is still the favourite, Krakow is 2nd and Beijing is the Insurance Policy for the IOC. Almaty is overrated IMO.

Can we have some insight from the couple of Polish posters we have here about what's going on?

Only a few months ago we were seeing - similar to past bids from less developed nations - very high approval ratings for Krakow's Olympic project. Why the very sudden drop off, or is it simply a case of there being a different perspective nationally compared with locally?

Can we have some insight from the couple of Polish posters we have here about what's going on?

Only a few months ago we were seeing - similar to past bids from less developed nations - very high approval ratings for Krakow's Olympic project. Why the very sudden drop off, or is it simply a case of there being a different perspective nationally compared with locally?

I think the reason why there was a sudden drop off on the Krakow Bid, was because of the Media Reports suggesting that in other Words, Krakow probably won't pass the referendum?

Oslo

Krakow

Lviv

Beijing

Almaty

I rest my case

Has Oslo's government declined to back the bid?

Did Krakow's referendum fail?

Was Lviv cut from the shortlist by the IOC or have they withdrawn?

You know the answer to all of the above is "no." There are currently 5 candidates for the 2022 Winter Games. It appears probable that list will diminish, but that has not happened yet.

You're doing this weird thing where you talk about future events as if they were already in the past. You're pulling the same routine over in the Rio thread. Cut it out.

• Like 3

Oslo

Krakow

Lviv

Beijing

Almaty

There are 2 things I'm fairly confident of.. there will be a Winter Olympics in 2022 and 1 of these 5 cities (well maybe 4 because of what's going on in the Ukraine) will be the host city. Oslo and Krakow may be on shaky ground right now, but they're still in the running. Maybe this is just me being overly optimistic but I'm hoping at some put the IOC will realize what a potential shitshow this race is turning out to be. And hopeully will find a way to keep 1 of those 2 in the race so that we're not left with a field where the only candidate outside of the continent holding the 2 most recently awarded Olympics isn't in the country that just was invaded by the country that most recently hosted an Olympics.

Rob, check out pages 65,66, 67 of the Krakow 2022 thread. The Polish posters seemed to be theorizing that there is political infighting within Poland and that Warsaw is attempting to scupper the bid. I don't know if they still hold the same view as that was several weeks ago.

Many people have said the whole "and then there were four, etc.". It's a joke and poking fun at how bad this race is turning out to be, Krakow probably will not pass the referendum, Oslo's in a similar situation, and we all know that Lviv is out of the picture. That leaves two viable cities that do not face problems that would derail the bid.

Maybe this is just me being overly optimistic but I'm hoping at some put the IOC will realize what a potential shitshow this race is turning out to be. And hopeully will find a way to keep 1 of those 2 in the race so that we're not left with a field where the only candidate outside of the continent holding the 2 most recently awarded Olympics isn't in the country that just was invaded by the country that most recently hosted an Olympics.

Other than abandoning their requirements for guarantees from governments, what can they really do to keep those bids moving if the people and governments in those countries don't want to host the games? They can hardly force a country to host against its will.

Many people have said the whole "and then there were four, etc.". It's a joke and poking fun at how bad this race is turning out to be, Krakow probably will not pass the referendum, Oslo's in a similar situation, and we all know that Lviv is out of the picture. That leaves two viable cities that do not face problems that would derail the bid.

You went further than that though. Please don't take a page out of Baron's book by refusing to admit your mistakes.

You went further than that though. Please don't take a page out of Baron's book by refusing to admit your mistakes.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying. I did not "go further". All I said was that Oslo, Krakow, and Lviv are dead bids. While it's not official and it was a bit harsh for me to refer that they are dead now, I think we understand the joke I was making. If you took the comment the wrong way...I guess I should have worded it more appropriator.

Rob, you were asking earlier to get some more insight on the situation? I managed to find a Pole that's against Crack-ow

tumblr_l6x296Kv8X1qcvjtt.jpg

Not sure what this says about their Olympic aspirations though.

• Like 1

I am so SICK & TIRED OF YOU taking potshots at me...when I have continuousy tried to IGNORE YOU. Your libelous post has been reported.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Other than abandoning their requirements for guarantees from governments, what can they really do to keep those bids moving if the people and governments in those countries don't want to host the games? They can hardly force a country to host against its will.

The Norwegians has a list of 5-6 very reasonable requests. Did the IOC ever formally respond to those? The IOC could definitely go on a PR offensive to convince skeptics that they aren't arrogant, out-of-touch assholes.

I wouldn't say two viable Bids. Beijing has it's fair share of issues and Almaty is a controversial Bid. Oslo only has 1 issue (Public Support), Krakow also only has 1 issue (Public Support), Beijing has a number of issues (Human Rights, Environment Issues, Poor International Relations with Tibet, Japan and Taiwan (Chinese Taipei) and a Communist Government)? Almaty doesn't have all the Venues and hasn't got any experience with Hosting Major Sporting Events (Fifa World Cup, Summer/Winter Olympics/Youth Olympics, UEFA Euro) and Lviv is just off the table. Political instability in Ukraine, aswell as a general weak Bid. Beijing and Almaty aren't as 'Perfect' as some point out to be. Yes, Beijing is the IOC's 'Insurance Policy', but it's not perfect. Like I've stated before, I believe the Almaty Bid is totally overrated.

I wouldn't say two viable Bids. Beijing has it's fair share of issues and Almaty is a controversial Bid. Oslo only has 1 issue (Public Support), Krakow also only has 1 issue (Public Support), Beijing has a number of issues (Human Rights, Environment Issues, Poor International Relations with Tibet, Japan and Taiwan (Chinese Taipei) and a Communist Government)? Almaty doesn't have all the Venues and hasn't got any experience with Hosting Major Sporting Events (Fifa World Cup, Summer/Winter Olympics/Youth Olympics, UEFA Euro) and Lviv is just off the table. Political instability in Ukraine, aswell as a general weak Bid. Beijing and Almaty aren't as 'Perfect' as some point out to be. Yes, Beijing is the IOC's 'Insurance Policy', but it's not perfect. Like I've stated before, I believe the Almaty Bid is totally overrated.

i would strongly disagree, Almaty is not a mess of the bid. In fact at this point it's the only bid without a major problem, ignoring that fact is very ignorant. Sure Oslo and Krakow may only have one major problem, but that problem will derail the entire bid. Beijing has human rights issues, but is still 1 billion people, also you talked about Almatys venues; they have the most built. More than any other city in this race, they also do not lack 'Major' experience they have host many winter events in the past. I'm sick of all this Almaty bashing.

• Like 1

i would strongly disagree, Almaty is not a mess of the bid. In fact at this point it's the only bid without a major problem, ignoring that fact is very ignorant. Sure Oslo and Krakow may only have one major problem, but that problem will derail the entire bid. Beijing has human rights issues, but is still 1 billion people, also you talked about Almatys venues; they have the most built. More than any other city in this race, they also do not lack 'Major' experience they have host many winter events in the past. I'm sick of all this Almaty bashing.

I can see your point and I respect your view on the matter. What's going against both Almaty and Beijing is the fact of the past 2 Olympics will be in Asia. Of course, if the IOC had no choice and Krakow failed it's referendum and Oslo withdrew, then the IOC would have to go to Beijing or Almaty. Don't you think that maybe Almaty should of Bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics instead? The reason why I say that, is because, Rio Hosted the 2007 Pan and Parapan American Games, so it was like a warm-up for a Rio 2016 Bid (Which they eventually won). Almaty is Hosting the 2017 Winter Universiade and the 2026 Bidding Process starts in 2017, so that could of given Almaty advantage in the 2026 race. Like I said, I acknowledge that Almaty has some Venues in place, but I don't think they can compete with Oslo (The favourites), Krakow (Second favourites) and Beijing (IOC's Insurance Policy).

I am so SICK & TIRED OF YOU taking potshots at me...when I have continuousy tried to IGNORE YOU. Your libelous post has been reported.

It's only libel if it's not true. Your posts mocking Krakow's new bid leader for her weight are on display for all to see -- as is your vigorous defense of them. That's just one example among many.

And it wasn't intended as a pot shot at you.