• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone post a link to a 5-10 mins highlights reel? I don't think I want to watch the whole ceremony for a Games I won't be seeing anything of, but it'll be nice to get a flavour. B)

That's about me. I'd be interestwd in seeing some of the highlights, but like these games overall, there nothing I'd make a point of sitting and watching in full.

The idea of opening ceremony is nothing new, for example the silk road and ocean silk road. It was showed in Beijing 2008 opening ceremony...

Also its not enough Nanjing style, just standing on a China level... nothing fresh for me.

But the tower is great.

human bodies and acrobats used to build structures is not my fave. all I saw the whole time is Christmas tree, also didn't like the Beijing ball much. I liked Beijing a lot, more the amazing synchronized floor stuff but when humans become anonymous building blocks it's more circus than artistic performance.

maybe something about making the individual unimportant, I'm sure Spock loved it.

It's heartbreaking to think about the young athletes from both countries losing an important chance to compete in the world stage but the possibility of spreading a deadly disease in China - of all places - and from there to the destinations of the other athletes is the difficult choice they had to do.

French Olympic chief concerned over impact of large-scale nature of Nanjing 2014

French Olympic Committee (CNOSF) President Denis Masseglia has raised concerns over the scale of the Summer Youth Olympic Games here, and whether a future host will be able to match an event that he claims is "almost at the level of the Olympic Games".

He is concerned that the Youth Olympics has got away from its original idea as something on a much smaller and sustainable scale that the senior version, providing an opportunity for cities who would not be capable of hosting a Summer or Winter Games.

But,while the inaugural event in Singapore four years ago was on a such a scale, as was the first Winter edition in Innsbruck in 2012, this event has been far larger, with the Opening Ceremony and venues, including the Youth Olympic Village, on a par with those seen in Sochi earlier this year.

This presents a challenge for 2018 host city Buenos Aires, who may now feel obliged to up the scale of their plans.

Masseglia, head of the CNOSF since 2009, was full of praise for the Organising Committee, but also raised doubts about the legacy of the event, which Nanjing were awarded in February 2010 after narrowly beating Polish city Poznań.

"I myself am impressed with the resources used," Masseglia told the official French Olympic Committee website.

"Here in Nanjing, we are almost at the level of an organisation of the Olympic Games.

"It was not, in my opinion, the goal.

"Obviously we can not criticise the scale chosen by the organisers of Nanjing 2014, but at the same time, we must ask ourselves if it is worth it.

"Originally, the Youth Olympics would allow some countries ill-equipped to organise the Olympic Games, to be able to support a global test level, a notch below the Olympics.

"I think for the experience that young people will live is great, but at the same time, it raises questions about who can provide this level of Youth Olympic Games."

These comments come in the midst of the Agenda 2020 reform process started by IOC President Thomas Bach.

Future decisions are due to be taken at the IOC Session in Monte Carlo on December 8 and 9.

The future shape of the Youth Olympics is one component of this, and despite the obvious benefits of the event seen here over recent days, there is a belief the Games are not worth the vast resources needed to host them.

Bach has also implied some understanding of Masseglia's opinion, by insisting that Nanjing should not become a "blueprint" for future Games.

"Each edition, of the Youth Olympic Games or Olympic Games, has to be different," Bach toldinsidethegames.

"If you take one Games as a blueprint for one another it would be pretty boring."

Insidethegames

OK, 4th installment of trying to finish the OC. So much of it is a retread of Beijing. But the Acrobatic Xmas-non-Xmas tree is SPECTACULAR! What Cirque du Soleil would give if they could take that piece to Vegas! I wonder how many upchcucked meals and months it took to perfect the sequence. :) I say at least 4-5 months!

And now comes Le-Le!! OMIGOD!! And they say Izzy was bad. Lele is SCARY...but Izzy would've been proud!! This is his spawn. I always called Izzy a computer Virus. I think Lele is the digital, viral PLAGUE! The Ebola of the 21st century Internet!!

OMG! That moving treadmill is the MOST IDIOTIC, RETARDED thing I have seen in any Ceremony. It really diminishes any positive moments engendered by the rest of the show. It is truly pathetic.

That's it. Finally got thru the MOST plodding major ceremony ever. Thank God, it's over. Now I have my life back. :(

At least alot of Nanjing 2014's Venues were existing. It's not like they spent Billions of Pounds on New Venues, they re-used alot of Venues that have existed whether Nanjing had Hosted or not. The IOC knew what Venues were going to be used and they knew China was the Host. I don't see anything to complain about, as the Venues are existing Facilities. Also, the Summer and Winter Youth Olympics are being used as they were supposed to be used. If You look at the Host Cities:

Singapore 2010: Probably won't Host the Main Summer Olympics and Paralympics.

Innsbruck 2012: Probably won't Host a Modern Winter Olympics and Paralympics, even though they have Hosted before.

Nanjing 2014: Nanjing probably won't Host a Summer Olympics and Paralympics, it would be Beijing or Shanghai for China.

Lillehammer 2016: Lillehammer will only Host SOME of the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics with Oslo 2022.

Buenos Aires 2018: Brazil and Chile are the most realistic Countries from South America to Host a Summer Olympics and Paralympics IMO (Rio 2016 obviously).

Lausanne or Brasov 2020: Lausanne MIGHT Host a Winter Olympics and Paralympics in the Future, Romania won't.

This is the 2nd FUNNIEST flame- lighting ceremony EVER!! (2nd only to Susan Susanti' missing the cauldron in Palembang 2 years earlier!!

It starts to rain...so watch on the right as they hurriedly open up an umbrella; then try to rub the (must've been slightly ) wet wood together. See how they labor to light it -- in the meantime the dancers up front try to distract you from the hard work in the back!! LOL! :lol::lol:

And that's why they had a cadre of back-up flame-providers at the YOG torch-lighting ceremony!! They learned from the 2013 Lighting.

I want to see 250 pianos on pick-up trucks suspended in mid-air next time...with the truck drivers and pianists playing X-hands in mid-air!! :lol:

At least alot of Nanjing 2014's Venues were existing. It's not like they spent Billions of Pounds on New Venues, they re-used alot of Venues that have existed whether Nanjing had Hosted or not. The IOC knew what Venues were going to be used and they knew China was the Host. I don't see anything to complain about, as the Venues are existing Facilities. Also, the Summer and Winter Youth Olympics are being used as they were supposed to be used. If You look at the Host Cities:

Singapore 2010: Probably won't Host the Main Summer Olympics and Paralympics.

Innsbruck 2012: Probably won't Host a Modern Winter Olympics and Paralympics, even though they have Hosted before.

Nanjing 2014: Nanjing probably won't Host a Summer Olympics and Paralympics, it would be Beijing or Shanghai for China.

Lillehammer 2016: Lillehammer will only Host SOME of the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics with Oslo 2022.

Buenos Aires 2018: Brazil and Chile are the most realistic Countries from South America to Host a Summer Olympics and Paralympics IMO (Rio 2016 obviously).

Lausanne or Brasov 2020: Lausanne MIGHT Host a Winter Olympics and Paralympics in the Future, Romania won't.

I have just been curious as to why the US has been rather low in the Medal Count.

It looks like like China, Russia, and Germany push their athletes in both YOG and traditional Olympics. It seems as if the US puts almost all its emphasis on the Olympics, and the YOG is still something new.

It probably doesn't the count, given that one of the world's best U-18 swimmers is competing at Pan Pacs as well.

This is the 2nd FUNNIEST flame- lighting ceremony EVER!! (2nd only to Susan Susanti' missing the cauldron in Palembang 2 years earlier!!

Ah yes... Indonesia spoiled the SEA Games OC with that crappy lighting.

3 last SEA Games (2009-2013) have no-good cauldron lighting, or at least you can say that they're unable to cover their bad plan nicely

I have just been curious as to why the US has been rather low in the Medal Count.

It looks like like China, Russia, and Germany push their athletes in both YOG and traditional Olympics. It seems as if the US puts almost all its emphasis on the Olympics, and the YOG is still something new.

It probably doesn't the count, given that one of the world's best U-18 swimmers is competing at Pan Pacs as well.

yeah i don't think the US sees the YOG as true Olympics that need their full attention. With the Pan Pacs going on at the same time it makes it difficult to choose which one they are more serious about. If the US ever hosts the YOG then I think they'll get more serious.

Some countries just don't take the YOG seriously, and I don't blame them. I remember that Skate Canada decided to not send anyone in 2012 because they didn't see the event as a good development opportunity (considering the calibre of athletes in figure skating specifically I'm not sure I agree, but anyways).

Also some of the events are kind of jokes - who the hell thought it was a good idea to have a team cycling event where the athletes have to compete in BMX, Mountain Biking and Road Cycling?

Regarding venues for Youth Olympics: I heard that a condition of hosting the Youth Olympics is that only existing venues can be used. This would certainly expand the number of potential host cities for the Summer editions, but not so for the Winter editions, especially since there's the matter of a sliding track (which is usually the most expensive part of any Winter bid). How many viable sliding tracks are there in the world? Not many. Canada, USA, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Russia, Latvia, Japan, and South Korea (pending) do, but not every winter sports town has access to a sliding track. For the Lausanne bid for 2020, the nearest sliding tracks are clear across the country in St. Moritz and across the border in France, and that track (used for Albertville 1992) isn't used on the circuits much these days. Unless the IOC and the bobsleigh/skeleton and luge federations agree to hold their respective Youth Olympic competitions in a more sustainable capacity, hosting the Youth Winters will be tough for any city/town unless they're located within a respectable distance of an existing and viable track. They dismantled the one for Torino 2006 because it was economically too much to maintain!

Just watched the Opening Ceremony - or at least parts of it. I think its fair to say that the YOG has CHEAPENED the Olympic movement. So tacky and naff. And trying to promote the event as an alternative to the Olympics is a sorry excuse - particularly when its being held in 80,000 seat stadiums.

This will just be a shadow of the Asian Games - I can't see western host cities having a real interest in it. I think the fact that the two first host cities were in Asia speaks volumes about the YOG as an event. Big misjudgment on Rogge's part I think.

As I've said before, I give it a decade at most.

Some countries just send developmental athletes it appears. Zambia beating Germany in field hockey for example was a surprise.

This is why I thought Glasgow would have been a good host for these games, esp after the Commonwealths last month. Appropriate sized venues, good transport links around a decent sized city, good friendly natural atmosphere and a part of the city to regenerate for an athletes village. Plus it would have brought the summer games to Europe and maybe gained future interest in other European cities hosting. But 2 consecutive Asian hosts and next up Argentina. If realistic interest is what they are looking for then they maybe should take a new angle when it comes to hosting rights.

Archived