Rio Games "critically behind schedule" - IOC

You are all more aware of the specifics of this situation than I. I do recall there were significant problems when Pope Francis visited Rio a year ago and there

was speculation, at that time, that the issues concerning traffic flow, crowd control, security etc. were getting a trial run during that Catholic youth conference.

Possibly the World Cup will spotlight what Rio must do to be ready. It is a city of stunning wealth and incredible poverty. I never fully understood how they

could pull off an impressive games without totally neglecting the basic survival needs of so many of the poor.

• Like 1

You are all more aware of the specifics of this situation than I. I do recall there were significant problems when Pope Francis visited Rio a year ago and there

was speculation, at that time, that the issues concerning traffic flow, crowd control, security etc. were getting a trial run during that Catholic youth conference.

That was insane...

Get any 6-million city and suddenly add 3.7 million people in only 2 or 3 districts... That was the Catholic Journey last year, and somehow, I think after all it was successful, considering the amount of people who came to Rio (a city where only half of its citizens is actually Catholic and a small part of them really care about religion)

If you count every single person during the entire event, Copacabana was visited by 9 million people!!!

Copacabana is a thin district between mountains and sea with 6 km wide...

http://noticias.uol.com.br/cotidiano/ultimas-noticias/2013/07/29/papa-levou-a-copacabana-quase-9-milhoes-de-pessoas-em-semana-de-recordes-para-o-rio.htm

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Chicago so should have hosted, they would have done a billion times better than Rio preparation wise. Then again Rio will be a United States of America city soon. Can't wait for the day when all the Americas are united under our great nation, the greatest in the world!

Chicago so should have hosted, they would have done a billion times better than Rio preparation wise. Then again Rio will be a United States of America city soon. Can't wait for the day when all the Americas are united under our great nation, the greatest in the world!

If you go to Barra da Tijuca, it's already is...

Fachada-NYCC.jpg

All incorrect.

^^The article is fair. Tony, this is a fair article about bumpy Rio preparations. Direct to the point, without sensationalism, most accurate information.

American media 1 vs British Media 0

My only doubt is I'm not sure how better is Russia against Brazil in terms of money. Our GDP is bigger and the taxes Brazilian Govt. takes from citizen skyrockets to 40% of the GDP.

As an example, only federal taxes could pay 40 Olympic Games per year...

The problem of Brazil is not money, it's bureaucracy, inefficiency, stupid authorities...

And the hand-sanitizer irony was not funny.

Stop picking on our Media! It's all Media!

I certainly wouldn't call it interesting.

The article simply repeats what was said in the Evening Standard.

Anyone with half a brain cell knows it won't happen.

As someone said earlier on: it's a non story........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If memory serves, London's estimated cost at the bid phase was the highest.

Oslo's bid is not ground-breaking in that it really is an attempt to return to more manageable Games. It's not proposing a new model. It's a throwback (or is trying to be). Even so, the likes of Lillehammer could not host today because the IOC has increased the number of sports and athletes and become more demanding about venues, perks for the Olympic family, etc.

What is unique is Oslo making demands of the IOC. The only reason that they can do that is that they know they have all the leverage in this cycle. If the IOC had other glamour options, Oslo would be laughed off.

I agree sports should be cut. I also agree that the universality spots should be reduced. No argument there.

Multiple hubs can work as long as they are not too far apart, they are connected by some means of transit, they each have their own villages, and there is more than one sport in each hub. I can see that working.

The IOC has turned the Olympics into a beauty contest and a rotating display of nationalistic chest-thumping among hosts. They have fostered this approach because they believe it elevates their brand and brings in money. So far it has. Over-ambitious bidders are bewitched.

I agree that the venues simply need to work. They don't have to be big or new or designed by famous architects. I see no evidence the IOC agrees. I see much evidence to the contrary.

I believe the IOC wants to go to Africa badly, but FYI and I are not exactly on the same page. I think the IOC probably foolishly thought that they wouldn't have to reduce their standards much in order for Africa to host. I think they have gotten into the habit of thinking that the Games will probably be fine no matter what and it's just a matter of location. I think Rio is a very important wake up call in this regard. Rio's problems will induce the IOC to take a very close look at an African bid. If the IOC thinks the African bid is technically competent, I believe the African bid will win -- even if it is the weakest candidate. Rio's problems mean the likes of Durban will need to demonstrate a higher standard of competency. That's going to be tough if they've never hosted an international multi-sport event.

What do you classify as an international multi-sport event? You can say we have not hosted a MAJOR international multi sport event - Commonwealth, Olympics etc. BUT we have hosted many regional African ones and the 2013 World Transplant Games. Yes not major, but the city has hosted international multi sport events.

.... BUT we have hosted.... the 2013 World Transplant Games. Yes not major, but the city has hosted international multi sport events.

WTF?...does such a games exist?...waddya know? Something new everyday...Where's Rio in all this anyway?

What do you classify as an international multi-sport event? You can say we have not hosted a MAJOR international multi sport event - Commonwealth, Olympics etc. BUT we have hosted many regional African ones and the 2013 World Transplant Games. Yes not major, but the city has hosted international multi sport events.

Can you honestly say that the World Transplant Games have given Durban meaningful sports organization experience that will strengthen their Olympic planning?

The CWG are considerably more manageable than the Olympics, but they are a valid stepping stone. Hosting the CWG would give Durban invaluable experience and knowledge. Personally, I think it's absolutely essential that they host the CWG before bidding for the Olympics.

Otherwise you run the risk of thinking the Olympics are just a slightly grander version of the World Transplant Games. That wouldn't work out well for anyone.

Host before bidding? As in a 2032 Olympics at the earliest?

Honestly, I think that would be best. I can see them winning over the IOC in 2028, but I think it would be better for all concerned to see how 2022 plays out. 2024 isn't looking like the right time for SA -- at least not to me.

How much sports organization experience did Athens & Sochi have, besides very little to none. Durban already has a sports precinct & is already expanding on it. Less than a year ago, their 'sports organization experience' didn't seem to matter too much with your viewpoint. Now, with the prospect of an L.A. 2024 bid looking likely, you have changed your tune. And it's not just South Africa, but you seem to be downplaying everyone else too, that could be in the 2024.

*else now too .. 2024 fray.

How much sports organization experience did Athens & Sochi have, besides very little to none. Durban already has a sports precinct & is already expanding on it. Less than a year ago, their 'sports organization experience' didn't seem to matter too much with your viewpoint. Now, with the prospect of an L.A. 2024 bid looking likely, you have changed your tune. And it's not just South Africa, but you seem to be downplaying everyone else too, that could be in the 2024.

As of now LA is the only city that looks like it really wants the Games and has a workable, exciting idea of how to stage them.

Paris is an unknown. They could be formidable or they might never get off the ground due to a lack of governmental and/or popular support.

Durban is mounting a CWG bid for 2022 and keeps talking about 2024 OR 2028 Olympics.

Africa is Africa -- not Russia (a world power) or Greece (birthplace of the Games and a first world country). It's gonna be a tough process no matter what. The Games have grown considerably and Durban has no experience hosting events of a relatively similar magnitude. Rio hosted successful Pan Am Games and is still faltering under the weight of the Olympics. Why should we expect Durban to perform so much better than Rio when they have much less experience, a far smaller economy and more dire social needs?

As for Germany, who knows what will happen? Ditto with Rome.

All along we've said the three most likely big players for 2024 are Paris, Durban and the US (probably LA). I think the above summary supports my position pretty well. I certainly reserve the right to change my opinion as more data becomes available.

Rio is floundering bcuz of the Olympics AND the WC. They bit off more than they could chew. Brazil has a bigger economy, but South Africa has a bigger one than "first world country" (with is debatable, & a whole other topic) Greece, & they managed in the end, anyway. Africa is not "just Africa". It's an entire continent that the IOC is at least inclined to preferably visit sooner rather than later. I believe once Rio 2016 has come & gone, things will be much clearer for 2024. That's why I say it's still premature.

• Like 2

Rio is floundering bcuz of the Olympics AND the WC. They bit off more than they could chew. Brazil has a bigger economy, but South Africa has a bigger one than "first world country" (with is debatable, & a whole other topic) Greece, & they managed in the end, anyway. Africa is not "just Africa". It's an entire continent that the IOC is at least inclined to preferably visit sooner rather than later. I believe once Rio 2016 has come & gone, things will be much clearer for 2024. That's why I say it's still premature.

How can you know that Rio's Olympic preparations would be on track if they weren't hosting the World Cup?

Are you really suggesting that the first African Olympics should look to Athens as a model? The Games were magnificent, but the preceding bureaucracy and ensuing debt should never be repeated. Clearly, the IOC does not have a vision for the Games that a small country like South Africa can reasonably afford.

What is so bad about saying they should get a CWG under their belt first? Why is that unreasonable? The whole point is to make sure they don't bite off more than they can chew and that their Olympics are an unqualified success.

How can you know that Rio's Olympic preparations would be on track if they weren't hosting the World Cup?

Are you seriously suggesting that the World Cup 2014 are taking up no resources that could just go to the 2016 Olympics? It was a point of concern during the 2016 campaign, & it was a concern that the IOC did not heed. Like you say about Sochi 2014's gross expense, the IOC enabled that course.

Are you seriously suggesting that the World Cup 2014 are taking up no resources that could just go to the 2016 Olympics? It was a point of concern during the 2016 campaign, & it was a concern that the IOC did not heed. Like you say about Sochi 2014's gross expense, the IOC enabled that course.

Did I say the World Cup had zero impact on the Olympics? No.

I asked you how you could be sure that without the World Cup the Olympic preparations would be on track. Your previous post laid all the blame for the Olympic problems at the feet of the World Cup.

I think that's pretty unrealistic.

There probably would still be your usual set-back here-&-there (as with most host cities), but very likely not to the extent of what we've seen. I'm not suggesting that there wouldn't be any delays without the WC. But surely WC preps have taken a toll on Olympic preps.

• Like 1

FYI, let's go back to the fact that you cited Athens and Sochi as evidence that Durban is ready to host the Games and wouldn't benefit from staging CWG first.

Obviously we don't want what happened to Athens to happen to Durban, so if that's your evidence that Durban can handle the Games, I think there's a problem.

That you would liken Durban to Sochi really blows my mind. "Sochi had no previous hosting experience, therefore Durban can obviously do it" -- that's ostensibly what you said. Russia is a major sports and world power and has plenty of know-how, plus with Putin at the helm no expense was going to be spared. Neither of those points is true of Durban.

It's unclear to my why you're trying so hard to push Durban through to victory despite the fact that they really do need more experience and development first.

There probably would still be your usual set-back here-&-there (as with most host cities), but very likely not to the extent of what we've seen. I'm not suggesting that there wouldn't be any delays without the WC. But surely WC preps have taken a toll on Olympic preps.

Of course, but I don't think you can assume that everything would go swimmingly without the WC. Rio's struggles should make the IOC take a very long hard look at Durban. I am not saying Durban can't do it. I'm saying the whole process would be less painful and probably more successful if they hosted CWG first and gave themselves the opportunity to really learn from that experience and build on it. I don't think 2 years (CWG 2022, SOG 2024) is enough time for that.