Rio Games "critically behind schedule" - IOC

(Reuters) - International Olympic Committee (IOC) vice president John Coates has called Brazil's preparations for the 2016 Rio Games "the worst" in his experience and critically behind schedule, but warned there was no "plan B" to find another host.

Attending an Olympic forum in Sydney, Coates told delegates that construction had not commenced on some venues, infrastructure was significantly delayed and water quality was also a major concern two years out from the Games.

"The IOC has formed a special task force to try and speed up preparations but the situation is critical on the ground," Coates said on Tuesday in a statement released by the Australian Olympic Commission, which transcribed some of his comments at the forum.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/29/uk-olympics-brazil-coates-idUKKBN0DF0IB20140429

I doubt any of the seasoned veterans here will be surprised, unfortunately I'm not! Given the IOC are sending in their own teams to "help" (I'd call it a take over), I have hope Rio will be successful. But John Coates assessment 2 years out is a damning verdict on Rios progress so far. Highlighting the challenges of sending these events to developing nations. Even wealthy ones.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate this forum.

(Reuters) - International Olympic Committee (IOC) vice president John Coates has called Brazil's preparations for the 2016 Rio Games "the worst" in his experience and critically behind schedule, but w

Welcome back Michelle!

Was going to post this news in the Rio developments thread, but I think you're right this deserves a thread to itself given how damning the verdict is ("worse than Athens") and how senior a figure it is coming from.

I'm not sure what more there is to add. :blink:

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

I don't remember the IOC being so blunt with an Olympic host before ... certainly is "unprecedented".

I've always been an enthusiastic supporter of Rio 2016 and really hope everything will be okay on the day, however, no matter what the outcome, I feel the IOC's future decisions on Olympic hosts are certainly going to be influenced by their experiences as we approach 2016.

My partner is Brazilian .... although he enjoyed 2012 here in London, he's completely against Brazil hosting both the Olympics and World Cup while there continues to be such economic divisions in society there. Whilst I used to point out to him that the Olympics can/has acted as a catalyst for development before, recently I have been far more sympathetic to his point of view. Among his friends and family both here in London and in Brazil, there seems to be very little enthusiasm for either event ... and sometimes open hostility! I remember at the same stage of my own city's Olympic experience there was an (albeit nervous) excitement ... I find it very sad that, at least among the Brazilians I know, this seems to be completely absent ... I only hear of their anger about money being spent on stadia and corruption rather than on schools and hospitals, and their annoyance that their country is suffering an embarrassing muddle in view of the rest of the world.

Very sad :(

Welcome back Michelle!

Was going to post this news in the Rio developments thread, but I think you're right this deserves a thread to itself given how damning the verdict is ("worse than Athens") and how senior a figure it is coming from.

I'm not sure what more there is to add. :blink:

looks like I was not too pessimistic now, huh? ;)

Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but there's no hiding now and no complaining that the media "isn't reporting the positive things", as much as I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt to Rio, there's no denying it now. These games are in big trouble. Construction hasn't started yet in Deodoro, Barra is way behind schedule and there is labor strife to boot. New venues should have been finished this year with test events being held next summer, but there's no way on earth they're going to be able to think about test events until mid-2016 at the earliest in a lot of these places. I had hope that these games and the World Cup would be Brazil's breakout and time to shine, but it's been nothing but one crisis after another. I hate to say it but my hope of them pulling this off is fading and quickly.

This is troubling news but how likely would a cancellation happen?

Does anyone else agree this recent news on Rio could be very damaging for Durban's Olympic bid?

Of course, jeez I've been trying to say that sense the LA documents came out. No one believed me, now here we are.

We may look forward to its cancellation

London 2016, here we come!

Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but there's no hiding now and no complaining that the media "isn't reporting the positive things", as much as I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt to Rio, there's no denying it now. These games are in big trouble. Construction hasn't started yet in Deodoro, Barra is way behind schedule and there is labor strife to boot. New venues should have been finished this year with test events being held next summer, but there's no way on earth they're going to be able to think about test events until mid-2016 at the earliest in a lot of these places. I had hope that these games and the World Cup would be Brazil's breakout and time to shine, but it's been nothing but one crisis after another. I hate to say it but my hope of them pulling this off is fading and quickly.

As is mine, and it saddens me, I want to see them host.

Coates made it clear that they are going to Rio come hell or high water.

The reality is that they have no choice. It is too late. The Games are too big and too complex for anyone else, even a previous host, to step in at this point and succeed.

Plus, it would be a horrible black eye on both the IOC and Brazil. The IOC is not very high in most people's esteem anyway (as seen by the issues surrounding 2022) and taking the Games away from Brazil, admitting the IOC made a mistake and needs some other country to bail them out is not an option.

This will absolutely affect future votes and it should. Frankly, it should've affected the vote for 2016, but the IOC wanted what they wanted.

• Like 1

This is bad news. But I don't see how you get from this, to cancellation.

What's the worst case scenario (again, ignoring things outside of Rio's control, WW3, etc.). A few venues are unfinished? Honestly, how bad would that be??

They're not going to cancel. The Games will be in Rio.

The problem isn't only construction. It's also operations and organization. If you read that article, the Australian team leaders can't get basic answers about transportation and parking. That is a problem.

Part of why you need test events is that the staff have to be trained. Most of them have probably not had much experience with events on this scale or of this importance -- certainly not in these locations (many of which do not exist yet). In order for everything to flow logistically, the facilitators have to be very well educated. That takes time and preparation -- two things that appear to be sorely lacking in Rio.

Well, it seems that the IOC should definitely reduce the summer and winter games as it was before 1984. The operation systems were smoother before and functional. No need for massive stadia, but definitely what is being needed is more creativity, such as London did versus Beijing.

Why to build expensive venues for unpopular sports, when everybody stick to the traditional starring sports such as Athletics, Swimming, Diving, Soccer and Gymnastics.

Well, it seems that the IOC should definitely reduce the summer and winter games as it was before 1984. The operation systems were smoother before and functional. No need for massive stadia, but definitely what is being needed is more creativity, such as London did versus Beijing.

Why to build expensive venues for unpopular sports, when everybody stick to the traditional starring sports such as Athletics, Swimming, Diving, Soccer and Gymnastics.

The last games with real venue/logistical problems were Lake Placid in '80, so I'm not sure that's a 100% guarantee.

BTW, despite the problems, they were amazing games.

What should change is the cities that bid .... not the Olympic programme.

• Like 1

Rio 2016 statement

β€œThe time has now passed when general discussions about the progress of preparations contribute to the journey towards the Games. It is time for us to focus on the work to be done and on engaging with society. The recent announcement of the budget for infrastructure and legacy projects, in addition to the launch of the tender process for the Deodoro Olympic Park venues, were crucial developments and unequivocal signs of progress. The work being undertaken in partnership with the three levels of government – federal, state and city – is delivering progress. The support of the International Olympic Committee is also crucial.

"We have a historic mission: to organise the first Olympic and Paralympic Games in Brazil and in South America. We are going to achieve this. In 2016, Rio will host excellent Games that will be delivered absolutely within the agreed timelines and budgets.”

Rio 2016

I'm glad Rio got these Games - but I think this will bring to an end the run of BRIC type bids for a while. Quite a good omen for Paris 2024 I think...

And so, the IOC has finally stated what has been obvious since a long time ago. Not really news if you ask me.

Of course, certain users will probably say this is a conspiracy by the western media.

So much for the new horizons.

I must admit I always had slight misgivings that Brazil may have bitten off more than it could chew by agreeing to host the World Cup and the Olympics back to back within a 2 year time-frame. After all, hosting just ONE of these events consumes a lot of a nation's time, organisation and resources, especially for a developing nation like Brazil. Why oh why couldn't the Brazilians have just focussed on hosting ONE of them? No other nation has ever saddled itself with the burden of having to organise them both (as far as I'm aware).

That said, I feel confident that the games will go ahead and will be a rousing success, despite the present misgivings, and, like all previous hosts, the Brazilians will find themselves caught up in the excitement of them and the afterglow and forget about all the negative feelings in the build-up. I just hope that the long-term economic consequences will not prove too severe when the 2 year party is finally over and everybody and everything finally returns to normality!

Edited by Mainad

Why oh why couldn't the Brazilians have just focussed on hosting ONE of them? No other nation has ever saddled itself with the burden of having to organise them both (as far as I'm aware).

didnt the US do it?

I must admit I always had slight misgivings that Brazil may have bitten off more than it could chew by agreeing to host the World Cup and the Olympics back to back within a 2 year time-frame. After all, hosting just ONE of these events consumes a lot of a nation's time, organisation and resources, especially for a developing nation like Brazil. Why oh why couldn't the Brazilians have just focussed on hosting ONE of them? No other nation has ever saddled itself with the burden of having to organise them both (as far as I'm aware).

That said, I feel confident that the games will go ahead and will be a rousing success, despite the present misgivings, and, like all previous hosts, the Brazilians will find themselves caught up in the excitement of them and the afterglow and forget about all the negative feelings in the build-up. I just hope that the long-term economic consequences will not prove too severe when the 2 year party is finally over and everybody and everything finally returns to normality!

Both Mexico and West Germany did (even back to back), but the 60s and 70s were a totally different era anyway, WC had half the teams of today, and the Olympics were also much smaller.

I just hope that the long-term economic consequences will not prove too severe when the 2 year party is finally over and everybody and everything finally returns to normality!

you play you pay -_-

didnt the US do it?

They did, fifa 1994 and Atlanta 1996. While Atlanta proved to be a little chaotic re transport issues, the games and world cup were both successful. But the US has a proven track record with hosting such huge events. Brazil, does not!

As for this being an 'omen' for Paris 2024, I happen to agree. A fight between the US and France seems likely. A safe pair of hands!

Edited by Michelle