Rio Games "critically behind schedule" - IOC

How much sports organization experience did Athens & Sochi have, besides very little to none. Durban already has a sports precinct & is already expanding on it.

Well, back when Athens was bidding, in 1996/97, Athens had a sport precinct (OAKA was already existing) and more than decent sport organisation experience including:

• Mediterranean Games in Athens in 1991
  • IAAF World Championships in Athens in 1997
  • European Championships (1987) World Junior Championships (1995) in Basketball
  • Track World Cup in cycling in 1995 in 1996
  • Fencing World Championship in 1994
  • European Artistic Gymnastics Championships in 1990 and World Rythmic Gymnastics Championships in 1991
  • European Judo Championships in 1993
  • European Championships in Swimming in 1991 and World Cup in 1993
  • Volleyball World Championships in 1994...

So quite significant hosting experience.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Durban also has a sports precinct which hosts several events. So it's not like it doesn't have experience in that area, either.

So it would not be wise or helpful for Durban to at least stage CWG prior to hosting the Olympics? (Preferably 10 years prior, but at least 6.)

What are the odds they end up overwhelmed like Rio and/or many billions of dollars in debt like Athens?

What would be the impact on the Olympic Movement at this point in history if one or both of those scenarios came to pass in 2024?

What is the best way to make sure none of those things happens?

Durban also has a sports precinct which hosts several events. So it's not like it doesn't have experience in that area, either.

Look at Athens' list of experience. The Mediterranean Games alone are a big differentiator, but add in all the World Championships in Olympic events within 10 years of the 2004 vote and it's a very healthy list.

Durban can't even come close. Make up a list and you'll see.

I bet many said the same about Barcelona in the early 80s.

Barcelona in the early 80s was a reasonably hot destination, in more ways than one.

Barcelona in the early 80s was a reasonably hot destination, in more ways than one.

Hmmm - it was still very much on the shadow of Madrid and a post-industrial, post-Franco era city facing an identify crisis. I don't have the source on me but I do know that Barcelona significantly gained traction as a European destination as a direct result of the Olympics, the renewed image it gave the city, and the waterfront redevelopments that occurred. My point with Durban could be taken the same way - it is a city in the shadow of others, that has great potential to carve out a renewed identity from the Olympic Games.

Cities like London and Tokyo hosting the Olympics is always amazing and iconic --- but I must admit I do like to see (when appropriate) second tier cities take on the big O and become completely consumed by the positive impact it can have on its image. It makes for such an exciting story--- where as London and Tokyo tend to feel rather unmoved and like water off a ducks back- great well known cities before and after their respective Olympics. The same can't be said for the likes of Barcelona, Atlanta and to a lesser extent, Sydney who were all really 'vulnerable' to the impact of the Olympics brand,.

This is part of the reason I backed Istanbul 2020 - it would have changed the course of Istanbul's history.

I was guttered over Istanbul missing out as well...and for the same reason. Now the place is falling apart.

When I was younger I can remember some commentators here saying if Brazil was to host the Olympics, it would be in Brazillia. They all said Rio, although a top tourist destination, couldn't cope. Where as the capital, so well laid out could manage. The flip side is Brazillia Isn't a tourist destination. Here we are twenty years later and Rio is on the verge of hosting what could be the biggest party ever...They had twenty years to get to this point, I seriously doubt Rio will trip over in front of the finish line.

Can you honestly say that the World Transplant Games have given Durban meaningful sports organization experience that will strengthen their Olympic planning?

The CWG are considerably more manageable than the Olympics, but they are a valid stepping stone. Hosting the CWG would give Durban invaluable experience and knowledge. Personally, I think it's absolutely essential that they host the CWG before bidding for the Olympics.

Otherwise you run the risk of thinking the Olympics are just a slightly grander version of the World Transplant Games. That wouldn't work out well for anyone.

I was in no way saying that they gave us amazing experience, nor fully prepared us in any way, shape or form. I was merely correcting an incorrect statement that durban has in fact hosted a multi sport international event.

....Africa is Africa ....

This view says alot about how we should take your view of the world

I was in no way saying that they gave us amazing experience, nor fully prepared us in any way, shape or form. I was merely correcting an incorrect statement that durban has in fact hosted a multi sport international event.

This view says alot about how we should take your view of the world

You quoted three words out of context, rendering them basically meaningless. That says nothing about "my view of the world." You seem to imply that my perspective is simplistic. I do not view Africa as a homogenous monolith socially, culturally, geographically, economically, politically or in any other way.

However, due to economic and developmental handicaps, I do believe that present-day Olympic Games will present a serious challenge for any African host, even for a city that is, relatively speaking, more capable, such as Durban. That is why hosting Commonwealth Games first would be very beneficial for all concerned.

South Africa is lacking in international multi-sport event experience that has any bearing on preparedness for Olympic Games. I didn't specify "bearing on preparedness for Olympic Games" because I thought that was understood since we are in an Olympic forum. However, since you seem to desire that specification, I will provide it. The World Transplant Games did not prepare Durban to host Olympic Games.

Archived