Rio Games "critically behind schedule" - IOC

Some hot source inside the IOC told me that John Coates said in a conversation with other major IOC members that the plan B for Tokyo in case of an earthquake or any other disaster will be Rio.

Trust me ;)

British press. Destroying the image of Brazil for some pounds...

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some hot source inside the IOC told me that John Coates said in a conversation with other major IOC members that the plan B for Tokyo in case of an earthquake or any other disaster will be Rio.

Trust me ;)

Can you stop with the 'British Press' digging please. It's International Press, not just ours.

Trust me ;)

I doubt it the way things are going at the moment

Trust me ;)

At this rate Tokyo's venues will finish before RIo ;):P

If they don't complete the venues in time what does happen?

Close off the beach, draw some lines in the sand, and have a sports day in the Brazillian sunshine. Maybe that'd be cricket's chance to get an Olympic spot too, as long as Thomas Bach's remembered to put the cricket set and tennis ball in the boot.

Close off the beach, draw some lines in the sand, and have a sports day in the Brazillian sunshine. Maybe that'd be cricket's chance to get an Olympic spot too, as long as Thomas Bach's remembered to put the cricket set and tennis ball in the boot.

I wish it was as simple as that haha

I wish it was as simple as that haha

It's not that much more complicated.

If an venue isn't finished, the court of play will probably be done... it just might not have all the seats or whatnot. Play on. If the court of play isn't ready, you move it to a different venue. Other than a velodrom (and maybe something I'm forgeetting) you can slap together a reasonable competition field really quickly.

It's not that much more complicated.

If an venue isn't finished, the court of play will probably be done... it just might not have all the seats or whatnot. Play on. If the court of play isn't ready, you move it to a different venue. Other than a velodrom (and maybe something I'm forgeetting) you can slap together a reasonable competition field really quickly.

The court of play is usually one of the last features to be added to the venue, alongside seating I think, unless they change their construction schedule. That being said, what if the 'other venue' isn't ready either? To be honest there's usually only one venue per sport (excluding football), time tabling these rearrangements would be a catastrophe!

The court of play is usually one of the last features to be added to the venue, alongside seating I think, unless they change their construction schedule. That being said, what if the 'other venue' isn't ready either? To be honest there's usually only one venue per sport (excluding football), time tabling these rearrangements would be a catastrophe!

If a basketball arena isn't ready... you play basketball somewhere else. There's a ton of places to play basketball in/near Rio. Many of hte sports require little more than a gym with some seats.

If a basketball arena isn't ready... you play basketball somewhere else. There's a ton of places to play basketball in/near Rio. Many of hte sports require little more than a gym with some seats.

Will these smaller 'gyms' be able to accommodate the numerous tv broadcasters from around the world? In simpler terms, will there be enough space for them to film? If not, then the money lost would be huge, effecting not only the profits of the broadcasters, but the city of Rio too.

Will these smaller 'gyms' be able to accommodate the numerous tv broadcasters from around the world? In simpler terms, will there be enough space for them to film? If not, then the money lost would be huge, effecting not only the profits of the broadcasters, but the city of Rio too.

The broadcasters are fine back in the international broadcast center. You just need a set of cameras in the venue.

Ideal? No. But it's won't be a disaster or anything.

It's not so much the primary effects of the late venues that will potentially have an impact on these games (such as changing venues) but the secondary effects (such as broadcasting rights etc) that will have the real destructive power

The broadcasters are fine back in the international broadcast center. You just need a set of cameras in the venue.

Ideal? No. But it's won't be a disaster or anything.

That's a fair point. I am sure they'll get everything done just on time, like Athens did, and produce a fantastic games anyway :)

If they move the Gymanstics to Rio Centro Hall, Rio already have a NBA-like Arena ready for basketball.

At this rate Tokyo's venues will finish before RIo ;):P

They could start by cleaning their own bay too...

I think this article is not fair, but I am posting it because it shows a perspective from media in one of the losing 2016 bid cities...

Chicago To Olympic Committee: Still Think Brazil Is A Better Choice?

May 10, 2014

Chicago Tribune

When the International Olympic Committee rejected Chicago and two other finalists and awarded the 2016 Summer Games to Rio de Janeiro, there were tears in Daley Plaza and an early Carnaval in deliriously happy Brazil.

Nearly five years later, it's fair to ask: Who was the real winner?

Rio's plans for a vast amount of development to prepare for the big show in 2016 have fallen far behind schedule. There's talk of an Olympic-size debacle.

The expected price tag for the Rio Games has jumped by at least 30 percent from the original estimate. Workers seeking higher pay have taken advantage of the increasingly tight construction schedule to stage strikes and slowdowns. Brazil's economy, which was hot when Rio's bid won, has cooled as global investors have turned away from developing markets.

Concerns about Rio's readiness that were glossed over when the decision was made are now creating alarm. Consider Rio's grossly inadequate sewage system. The waters where 2016 sailing events will take place have nearly 200 times the fecal pollution that is permitted in U.S. waters. Note to organizers: Distribute hand sanitizer to the medalists on that podium.

^^The article is fair. Tony, this is a fair article about bumpy Rio preparations. Direct to the point, without sensationalism, most accurate information.

American media 1 vs British Media 0

My only doubt is I'm not sure how better is Russia against Brazil in terms of money. Our GDP is bigger and the taxes Brazilian Govt. takes from citizen skyrockets to 40% of the GDP.

As an example, only federal taxes could pay 40 Olympic Games per year...

The problem of Brazil is not money, it's bureaucracy, inefficiency, stupid authorities...

And the hand-sanitizer irony was not funny.

Archived