Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Cyberbullying is not permitted in these forums - please read

Wow, who was it if I can ask?

Not praising the petitions actions but Tony has become a real problem on these forums, Mod. He has driven away several users who have been on the forums for a long time. I understand we can ignore, and i've already ignored Tony however, he needs to be dealt with. No matter how many warnings and 3 day breaks he is given it is not enough. He needs to finally be banned for good. He has disrupted these forums enough. Please, can he finally get his permanent ban.

• Like 1

Wow, who was it if I can ask?

Not praising the petitions actions but Tony has become a real problem on these forums, Mod. He has driven away several users who have been on the forums for a long time. I understand we can ignore, and i've already ignored Tony however, he needs to be dealt with. No matter how many warnings and 3 day breaks he is given it is not enough. He needs to finally be banned for good. He has disrupted these forums enough. Please, can he finally get his permanent ban.

That's not necessary. Honestly, it's not. I want to help GBModerator and get along with you. So let's but our differences aside?

Correction: Let's put our differences aside?

That's not necessary. Honestly, it's not. I want to help GBModerator and get along with you. So let's but our differences aside?

Correction: Let's put our differences aside?

Tony, if you actually meant that, it would be great. Most if us have tried very hard to work with you, but there hasn't been much change. You apologize profusely when you screw up and then YOU REPEAT THE SAME FRUSTRATING BEHAVIOR ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. How do you expect people to react?

There are VERY few posts on this forum that I would consider flirting with cyber bullying. No one dislikes you because of your age, gender, ethnicity, sexual preference, religious beliefs, etc. We dislike your CONTENT -- or lack thereof as the case may be.

This does not constitute bullying. It constitutes frustration.

All your gobbledygook about "putting aside differences" is clearly just a bunch of buzz words to you. If you actually mean it, THEN HANDLE YOURSELF DIFFERENTLY.

I don't want you gone, I just want you to participate in a positive way, that supports the forum. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Rob, I agree that cyber bullying should not be tolerated. I do not agree that Tony is a victim of it and I find the existence of this thread troublesome. This thread ostensibly defends (and thereby reinforces) Tony's behavior and censures (and censors) many members' justifiable frustration.

Tony, henceforward I will be using the ignore button since that is the only option available to us.

Rob, I agree that cyber bullying should not be tolerated. I do not agree that Tony is a victim of it

Several posts and a thread from the user who has been banned were quickly deleted by GBMod. I suspect you missed them.

Edited by Rob.

The more I think about it, the more I find this thread flat out insulting. What's happened in this forum constitutes "a crime" against Tony? NO.

There is a difference between attacking a PERSON and commenting unfavorably on someone's ACTIONS.

Tony's actions have earned him this response. Almost without exception the negative posts comment on his actions -- not his person.

Several posts and a thread from the user who has been banned were quickly deleted by GBMod. I suspect you missed them.

I'm aware of what you're referring to, but this thread is clearly not aimed at that user since he is no longer here. It is aimed at the rest of us.

.I'm aware of what you're referring to, but this thread is clearly not aimed at that user since he is no longer here. It is aimed at the rest of us.

Well, everybody here should be aware of rules in the internet about cyber bullying - no matter if it is here or on any other website, therefore this thread is not aiming on us, but on people, who are not aware of the rules about cyber bullying...

The more I think about it, the more I find this thread flat out insulting. What's happened in this forum constitutes "a crime" against Tony? NO.There is a difference between attacking a PERSON and commenting unfavorably on someone's ACTIONS.Tony's actions have earned him this response. Almost without exception the negative posts comment on his actions -- not his person.

Do you think it is not cyber bullying when a member creates a petition about the membership of somebody else on another website? Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

I agree. The abuse heaped on Tony has at times been excessive. But Tony, whatever handicaps he might have, is also partially to blame. (and of course we have seen those kinds of 'trolls' before). Am surprised that Tony has stuck it out here so long...even though his greater, real interest should be over at SSC.

"There are VERY few posts on this forum that I would consider flirting with cyber bullying. No one dislikes you because of your age, gender, ethnicity, sexual preference, religious beliefs, etc. We dislike your CONTENT -- or lack thereof as the case may be."

I agree with this.

Tony you need to post more carefully. Its simple as that. However you have failed to grasp what posting carefully means.

• Like 1

I agree. The abuse heaped on Tony has at times been excessive. But Tony, whatever handicaps he might have, is also partially to blame. (and of course we have seen those kinds of 'trolls' before). Am surprised that Tony has stuck it out here so long...even though his greater, real interest should be over at SSC.

I know I've wronged alot of people. I didn't mean to. I'm not a troll, I just didn't understand sometimes. This has woke me up a bit and from now on, I will be putting 150 per cent into my posts. I promise you this time it's for real, so I ask kindly everybody, let's start fresh. I won't let you down this time.

"There are VERY few posts on this forum that I would consider flirting with cyber bullying. No one dislikes you because of your age, gender, ethnicity, sexual preference, religious beliefs, etc. We dislike your CONTENT -- or lack thereof as the case may be."

I agree with this.

Tony you need to post more carefully. Its simple as that. However you have failed to grasp what posting carefully means.

I will prove to everybody that I will try extra hard to improve. Me and you haven't had the best times, but I hope I can prove myself this time and we can get on. :)

I know I've wronged alot of people. I didn't mean to. I'm not a troll, I just didn't understand sometimes. This has woke me up a bit and from now on, I will be putting 150 per cent into my posts. I promise you this time it's for real, so I ask kindly everybody, let's start fresh. I won't let you down this time.

I will prove to everybody that I will try extra hard to improve. Me and you haven't had the best times, but I hope I can prove myself this time and we can get on. :)

Sorry, but I don''t believe that. I tired helping you by giving you advice, you did not take it.

Tony.. didn't you say you were taking a break from these forums? Maybe you should heed your own advice. We've heard these promises before and yet we fall into this same vicious cycle. We all get that you're trying to be a part of the community here, but you can't tell us you're going to work on this and then a day later, you've proved that you haven't.

If you want a fresh start, take some time away from these forums. Read all the threads you want, but hold back on the posting. Then come back in a few days or a few weeks, whatever. And prove to us (and more importantly prove to yourself) that you have in fact change and that you have seen the wake-up call. I know it must be frustrating to feel this kind of animosity from some folks here, but you just have to accept it and move on. The easiest way to do that, IMO.. just step away for a bit. You're not going to help your cause if you keep responding every time your name is mentioned.

• Like 1

Sorry Rant below:

While I will admit Pyro was a bit of a troll, his ban is not justified. Many people, including myself have tried to help Tony fit in. Yet consistently he does not take our advice, personally this is a frustrating experience especially when the majority of the board strongly dislikes him.
In addition to all of this Tony has egged on certain fights, he fails to see others points of views, and continually spams threads with pointless points. What is even more aggravating is that he brings in his personal life into reasons we should forgive him. Sorry, that’s ridiculous.
Next GamesBids is an international community, if Tony is going to be here he needs to learn history and stop being over nationalistic. I don’t come here to hear a bogus claim that London is the World Capitol or why England deserves every event. I come here to read Barons ceremony rants, Athens and Quakers knowledge, and Krow’s sexual jokes. Tony has ruined GamesBids for me and I’m sure other members.
I believe that based on this and the comments he has made that Tony be banned from the board. I don’t care if he was ‘bullied’. What Pyro said was not bully it was truth. I have seen real bullies and he is not one, if Tony can not face the truth he does not need to be here. I’m tired of his crap and if this means I get banned then do it, I would not want to be apart of a board that kicks off long-time positive contributors in favoring of a new consistently spamming one.

Do you think it is not cyber bullying when a member creates a petition about the membership of somebody else on another website?

I do think that was way out of line.

When I initially read the Mod's post, it felt like more of a blanket statement, which bothered me. I do not think that the majority of Tony's experience on these boards constitutes cyber bullying. And I do not think that those of us who voice frustration are all cyber bullies.

However, on re-reading the Mod's post, I see that it is more measured than the way I initially received it. It is valid to remind people that hostility and verbal attacks are not acceptable.

• Like 2

I will say that a lifetime ban for Pyro and a few ineffectual slaps on the wrist for Tony seem quite inequitable.

Pyro had a lapse of self-control. Tony doesn't seem to know what self-control is.

In all honesty, I have seriously considered lashing out on these boards in a manner that I know will get me banned, but I am so aggravated, I'm not sure I care. I don't really want to take myself down that path, so I've resisted the temptation, but I certainly understand it.

More actualization, less dissertation?

AMEN.

Agreed. Also, is it my imagination, or is Tony's persona on SSC slightly different from what we see here: more of a pedant than a 'troll'?

Here we go again...Pyro booted off yet Tony E allowed to stay.

Seems hypocritical when a equally nasty situation arose seven years ago and the same thing happened.

So much worse has happened.

...Tony E has simply annoyed everyone, even some of the most fair and ballanced members who have tried to reason with him.

All everyone has to do is block his PMs and Ignore option him.

From Wikipedia: Examples of what constitutes cyberbullying include communications that seek to intimidate, control, manipulate, put down, falsely discredit, or humiliate the recipient. The actions are deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior intended to harm another. Cyberbullying has been defined by The National Crime Prevention Council: “When the Internet, cell phones or other devices are used to send or post text or images intended to hurt or embarrass another person."[5][6]

A cyberbully may be a person whom the target knows or an online stranger. A cyberbully may be anonymous and may solicit involvement of other people online who do not even know the target. This is known as a 'digital pile-on.'[7]

There is no doubt that the actions by the banned member constituted cyberbullying, whether you agree or not - or whether that person is even aware of it himself or not. Pay careful attention to the bolded section above.

Most cyberbullying is not enforced - and legal action usually occurs only after tragedy strikes. Where this site is domiciled, in Canada, there is legislation against this - as well as in many other countries.

Blaming the victim by explaining that they provoked the crime against themselves is not acceptable. I could come up with many analogies, but I believe you all get the point.

Please everyone - use the "ignore" feature, or just refrain from engaging if you are not interested. Don't be a bully.

• Like 1

While I will admit Pyro was a bit of a troll, his ban is not justified. Many people, including myself have tried to help Tony fit in. Yet consistently he does not take our advice, personally this is a frustrating experience especially when the majority of the board strongly dislikes him.
In addition to all of this Tony has egged on certain fights, he fails to see others points of views, and continually spams threads with pointless points. What is even more aggravating is that he brings in his personal life into reasons we should forgive him. Sorry, that’s ridiculous.
Next GamesBids is an international community, if Tony is going to be here he needs to learn history and stop being over nationalistic. I don’t come here to hear a bogus claim that London is the World Capitol or why England deserves every event. I come here to read Barons ceremony rants, Athens and Quakers knowledge, and Krow’s sexual jokes. Tony has ruined GamesBids for me and I’m sure other members.
I believe that based on this and the comments he has made that Tony be banned from the board. I don’t care if he was ‘bullied’. What Pyro said was not bully it was truth. I have seen real bullies and he is not one, if Tony can not face the truth he does not need to be here. I’m tired of his crap and if this means I get banned then do it, I would not want to be apart of a board that kicks off long-time positive contributors in favoring of a new consistently spamming one.

I don't know the specifics of the situation, but if Pyro escalated the situation to the extent the mods say he did, then yes, he crossed the line and should be banned. Whether or not Tony should be banned is a separate issue, but cyber-bullying is a very serious issue and kudos to the mods for addressing it. No one is excusing Tony for his actions and he's certainly not fault-less in all this even though most of it is unintentional (emphasis on 'most' since the nationalistic stuff was a bit much). There's a difference between "the truth" and bullying. Not my place to decide if Pyro went that far, but this is 1 of those situations where 2 wrongs most definitely do not make a right.

• Like 1

I don't know the specifics of the situation, but if Pyro escalated the situation to the extent the mods say he did, then yes, he crossed the line and should be banned. Whether or not Tony should be banned is a separate issue, but cyber-bullying is a very serious issue and kudos to the mods for addressing it. No one is excusing Tony for his actions and he's certainly not fault-less in all this even though most of it is unintentional (emphasis on 'most' since the nationalistic stuff was a bit much). There's a difference between "the truth" and bullying. Not my place to decide if Pyro went that far, but this is 1 of those situations where 2 wrongs most definitely do not make a right.

Exactly Quaker.

I will add that it was me who spotted a couple of pretty malicious posts from the banned member and GBMod was very quick in deleting them once I pointed them out to him, so most reading this thread won't have even seen them. What was said doesn't matter. All that needs to be said it that nobody here would be happy if they were directed at them. Yesterday's petition from the same member was, I think, the straw that broke the camel's back.

And yes, it is very obvious a lot of the time Tony is younger than most here and I'm not going to pretend some of his posts haven't annoyed me. I do think he's genuine and his enthusiasm is real. I don't think he's trolling. But you're right Quaker, he needs to be more careful how often he posts and how well researched the posts are. I don't like seeing people make a rod for their own backs but Tony has done so sometimes. I think he knows this, so hopefully things will settle. Fingers crossed.

• Like 4