Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Cyberbullying is not permitted in these forums - please read

I don't think he's trolling.

personally, i don't agree with that.

he (talking about him in the third person like he's not totally reading this right now. hi tony!) loves the attention we lavish on him. most of us are happy to put in our two cents in interesting threads and respond if someone engages us (not me, i'm speaking generally). but tony'll send 100 PMs if he can get a single response. he's like vito jr in that episode of the sopranos where he started kicking over gravestones with his goth friends after his gay dad got exiled by the family. positive attention, negative attention it doesn't matter. attention is attention. granted it's not "reaction" trolling, but trolling for attention is still trolling.

what he really wants is to turn every thread all about him and in that regard, he's succeeding splendidly.

• Like 1

And yes, it is very obvious a lot of the time Tony is younger than most here and I'm not going to pretend some of his posts haven't annoyed me. I do think he's genuine and his enthusiasm is real. I don't think he's trolling. But you're right Quaker, he needs to be more careful how often he posts and how well researched the posts are. I don't like seeing people make a rod for their own backs but Tony has done so sometimes. I think he knows this, so hopefully things will settle. Fingers crossed.

I remember when Tony first came here that 1 of the issues with him (aside from the excessive number of posts) was that I don't think he understood that this is a discussion forum, not a chat room. So my thing with him has always been about forum etiquette. Tony is hardly the first person here to have mis-informed posts and present opinions that could use a little more research. And I'm in the camp where I would like Tony to learn why his forum etiquette is so poor (and to not be a dick while doing so) rather than just to ban him from the forum. I don't doubt for a second that Tony is just an over-eager kid that doesn't know any better and because he has enthusiasm for the subject matter here (supposedly), it would be a shame to see him go on that basis.

To krow's point.. Tony's action probably can be defined as trolling. I certainly don't think it's intentional, but there's definitely a case to be made that he's seeking attention and doesn't know how to step away from a situation. That's why I'm hoping he can just remove GB from his bookmarks for a bit, let things settle down, and eventually come back and maybe he can be a positive contributor to the forums. Better that than to send a message to an over-eager teenager that the world is out to get him and that he's not welcome in a place like this because of that.

I ask that Tony take a step back from the site for real and really think about how he conducts himself here. I know it probably won't do any good and he will most likely continue his ways, but it's a darn shame that 75% of the activity on this forum has become Tony-related. But if that's what the mod wants, so be it. We've been more than patient with him. It's time for Tony truly make a change, or else I would support the idea of him being permanently banned.

Agreed. I think a temporary ban is probably necessary here for Tony. The fact that so many times he's said "I'm sorry, I promise I'll do better" or the like means that maybe there needs to be some action taken against him. Like ofan, I'm not a mod, so far be it from me to offer that solution, but for his own good, Tony needs to take a break from this site.

And he also brings up his personal life way to much which is annoying.

um oh yeah i hate people who do that. bleugh. get a blog.

I never felt he was real. Still don't think he is. If his name isn't Tony E______ and if all those other personal details aren't true, then big deal, he's trying to troll the boards anyway. If he is for real, then the best advice I can give is to ditch this account, and make a new account without giving any personal details until he knows it's safe.

I never felt he was real. Still don't think he is. If his name isn't Tony E______ and if all those other personal details aren't true, then big deal, he's trying to troll the boards anyway. If he is for real, then the best advice I can give is to ditch this account, and make a new account without giving any personal details until he knows it's safe.

That's been done before. I imagine it would take us about 5 seconds to realize it was him.

I don't know the specifics of the situation, but if Pyro escalated the situation to the extent the mods say he did, then yes, he crossed the line and should be banned. Whether or not Tony should be banned is a separate issue, but cyber-bullying is a very serious issue and kudos to the mods for addressing it. No one is excusing Tony for his actions and he's certainly not fault-less in all this even though most of it is unintentional (emphasis on 'most' since the nationalistic stuff was a bit much). There's a difference between "the truth" and bullying. Not my place to decide if Pyro went that far, but this is 1 of those situations where 2 wrongs most definitely do not make a right.

I'm not saying Pyro should be excused, his punishment is fit. However I believe that Tony should receive a similar punishment. I am glad they are addressing Cyber Bullying, however I also believe that bullying is thrown around way too much in today's society. Many of the remarks of members here towards Tony are all in frustration, furthermore many of us have asked Tony to stop the things that irk us so greatly, some (including myself) have given him advice. He does not listen and continues having empty promises.

We have done all we can to prevent this situation, Tony has brought it upon himself. For that I believe there should be just punishment for

1. Not heeding and taking advice

2. Not listing to the request of many here

3. Intentionally or unintentionally egging on fights

I wished that it would NEVER come to this which is why I tried to help him. He did not take my advice (or that of many others) and has brought this entire situation upon himself.

• Like 1

I'm not saying Pyro should be excused, his punishment is fit. However I believe that Tony should receive a similar punishment. I am glad they are addressing Cyber Bullying, however I also believe that bullying is thrown around way too much in today's society. Many of the remarks of members here towards Tony are all in frustration, furthermore many of us have asked Tony to stop the things that irk us so greatly, some (including myself) have given him advice. He does not listen and continues having empty promises.

We have done all we can to prevent this situation, Tony has brought it upon himself. For that I believe there should be just punishment for

1. Not heeding and taking advice

2. Not listing to the request of many here

3. Intentionally or unintentionally egging on fights

I wished that it would NEVER come to this which is why I tried to help him. He did not take my advice (or that of many others) and has brought this entire situation upon himself.

A teenager who doesn't take advice from others?! What a rarity that is!

The idea of bullying is thrown around a lot, but it is a serious problem that needs to be addressed sometimes. Whether or not this situation falls under that heading is debatable but again, kudos to the mods for bringing it to light.

And no, we have not done all we can to prevent the situation. At some point we all should have just made a point to ignore him. I'm not disagreeing there should be punishment. I'm not saying the rest of us shoulder the blame. But this whole thing probably could have been stopped earlier than it did.

A teenager who doesn't take advice from others?! What a rarity that is!

The idea of bullying is thrown around a lot, but it is a serious problem that needs to be addressed sometimes. Whether or not this situation falls under that heading is debatable but again, kudos to the mods for bringing it to light.

And no, we have not done all we can to prevent the situation. At some point we all should have just made a point to ignore him. I'm not disagreeing there should be punishment. I'm not saying the rest of us shoulder the blame. But this whole thing probably could have been stopped earlier than it did.

What I'm saying is that many of us have tried to help Tony, he did not heed or take the advice. how can you expect me to feel sorry for him? He had many chances to prevent this, he didn't.

What I'm saying is that many of us have tried to help Tony, he did not heed or take the advice. how can you expect me to feel sorry for him? He had many chances to prevent this, he didn't.

Okay, I'll take the bait. I admit I haven't been around too much lately and am constantly trying to play catch-up with the news on here but, apart from going on and on 'ad nauseam' about how wonderful London is etc. (which I admit I found irritating too and said as much) what are all these awful things that Tony has been doing? He's obviously a kid with a few problems and lacks a sense of subtlety and humour about things (not uncommon for kids of his age) but he seems to have a genuine interest in the Olympics and sport in general. Yet from what I'm hearing on here, many of you seem to be treating him as if he's the most evil troll ever to infect the forum. Well, excuse me, but I've been on here long enough to have known a few and I haven't seen anything that Tony has done to put him remotely in their company.

So what have I been missing?

• Like 3

There is no doubt that the actions by the banned member constituted cyberbullying, whether you agree or not - or whether that person is even aware of it himself or not. Pay careful attention to the bolded section above.

Most cyberbullying is not enforced - and legal action usually occurs only after tragedy strikes. Where this site is domiciled, in Canada, there is legislation against this - as well as in many other countries.

Blaming the victim by explaining that they provoked the crime against themselves is not acceptable. I could come up with many analogies, but I believe you all get the point.

Please everyone - use the "ignore" feature, or just refrain from engaging if you are not interested. Don't be a bully.

I am not aware of exactly what Pyro did, but it sounds like it did constitute bullying.

I do feel that the above post is a one-sided response. Pyro's response was not acceptable, but Tony knowingly and repeatedly fomented an atmosphere of contention and aggravation. As near as I can tell, Tony's behavior is acceptable to the Mod and even seems to be protected based on his posts in this thread.

The imperative "Don't be a bully" is unwarranted and overbearing.

That's not necessary. Honestly, it's not. I want to help GBModerator and get along with you. So let's but our differences aside?

Correction: Let's put our differences aside?

If you wanted to get along with everyone hear you should take a break.

I'm keeping you on my ignore list but (hopefully) this will be one of my last posts on this issue where I respond to you. For once I hope you stick to your word because I don't want to see anymore long time members leave or be banned because of you.

But I swear, if I EVER see another "i'm from London" or another stupid post, I will be reporting it and I will bloody message a mod to get you out of here.

If I can get a 3 day ban for something extremely tiny because of you during the olympics, then you can get a long term ban for repetitive nonsense.

And no this is not cyber bullying. I'm not picking on you for your age, your gender, your race or because you're from London, i'm saying this because you need to learn how to act on a public forum.

What the point of Banning anyone Pyro or Tony if they can just come back if they wanted to

I'm sure Pyro's alter ego will be shut down shortly. His IP address will be flagged.

Well, at least we have both sides of the story. I really have not been paying much attention to Tony before I began posting, but based on what I've read it seems Tony was partially the problem. Maybe a more in-depth research and questioning would've avoided banning, but like most other moderators on the internet, this mod simply claimed authority and banned without reason (at least that's what I'm assuming). I am not agreeing, nor am I disagreeing with Pyro's punishment (mainly due to the fact I simply have not been here long enough to fully understand), but I do agree that Tony should also receive a proper punishment just to make sure he actually takes a break this time and to think things through.

I'm sure Pyro's alter ego will be shut down shortly. His IP address will be flagged.

Could just change it or use VPN if you wanted to keep coming back

In all honesty, I'm feeling VERY uneasy with this whole debate and I'm trying to put my thoughts into words that will probably make me come under fire, but I think they need to be said (at least for my own sake):

1) Cyberbullying - especially against confused teens - is with good reason a crime.

2) Online petitions of whatever nature are silly rubbish and for setting them up, one should be banned already.

3) I don't know Pyro, nor any possible backstory, so don't have any personal stake pro/con in him getting banned.

4) I acknowledge that hosting an online forum and maintaining it in a somewhat sane form is a nightmare of a job.

BUT:

I honestly think it is way too easy to say "don't be a bully" or "use the ignore button". The problems with Tony have gone on since day one in December, frustration over his behaviour has been voiced before and no visible change happened. Only on Sunday, Tony made a big "I'll take a break" announcement, only to happily post away again two hours later. These things also need to be addressed.

There are people who pay to be here as premium members (not me), and I don't think that the events of the last few months helped getting more people to join in like that.

Again, I don't support what Pyro did, but simply saying "Tony is the victim" and putting the responsibility on the users by asking them to just ignore him(or each other) cannot be the long term solution here, sorry.

• Like 3