Olympic Games Being Used to Promote Neo-Colonialism Around the World?

Hey, guys. It has been a long time, since I have logged on to these forums. Anyway, I ran across an interesting sub-topic in the Olympic Games Wikipedia page. He/she added the "Colonialism" topic in the controversy section. I flagged it as a "dispute" argument because the person who entered that in there implicates Canada as a "sole colonial power" against "all" Aboriginal peoples on their "stolen land." This person did not give evidence of that on any other nation that has hosted the Olympic Games in the past. Never mind that he/she is probably watching news about the "Russian incursion" toward Ukraine, right after hosting the 2014 Winter Olympics. If you read that section of the Olympic Games page, do you think is it a legitimate argument or is it just another ongoing negative rant about the whole idea of the Olympic Games being hosted anywhere?

I'm not sure if the fact that a Canadian Olympics being held on colonised land is relevant directly to a discussion of the Olympics.

Is that what you are referring to?

My first impression was that this was referring to the argument that the Olympic Games/Olympic values are a big example of western cultural imperialism - a view I tend to empathise with and see as true.

I'm not sure if the fact that a Canadian Olympics being held on colonised land is relevant directly to a discussion of the Olympics.

Is that what you are referring to?

My first impression was that this was referring to the argument that the Olympic Games/Olympic values are a big example of western cultural imperialism - a view I tend to empathise with and see as true.

The actual section, a substantial essay focusing on Canada's treatment of its First Nations at the Olympics, which just appeared on Wikipedia overnight, is here. Among other things, it presents an interesting paradox about the representation of native cultures in Olympic ceremonies organised by colonist populations of European origin.

I think the examples used are a little off (I mean, St. Louis 1904? That was barely even aware that it was an Olympics) but I agree regarding (unavoidable) cultural appropriation. Sydney 2000 was similar to the Canadian examples in this respect --- I'll be interested to see how Rio 2016 navigates this.

that it absolutely is. the whole thing is run by old money europeans and financed by american corporations. those are some of the most imperialistic groups on earth.

the other argument is lame, but i'm going to give guardian 7,000 points in my comp for starting this thread.

Sh#t you think the original concept of the Olympics were 'bad' for colonialism v indigenous people...

Check out the original concept for what we now call the Commonwealth Games!...A gathering of all the white English speaking brothers around the world to come together in the spirit of sport. (At that time the Olympics were seen as a European event)