Sign in to follow this  
Pure facts

Los Angeles unveils plans for 2024 bid

Frankly , I can imagine this document from LA making Paris and Durban a little bit apprehensive. We'll see.

Frankly, I can't. At least not Paris, Durban is trickier though. Depending on how the South Africans would bid LA could stand a chance, also the way Rio goes could have an impact as the vote would be one year after those games. Would the IOC be prepared to take another leap of faith so soon?

I can see LA doing well but not winning except if the field is very weak like on previous occassions when the city hosted. It's got more to do with a repeat host in a country with several good candidates than geopolitics. I mean why choose the same city again if there are interesting options in other countries and the likes of SF, NYC and Chicago haven't hosted in the US?

Given a run between LA and Durban, it would go to Durban. Granted that Durban makes the technical mark, I think the IOC would be scared that if they turned Durban down, it would be another 2 or 3 rounds later before they see a halfway decent competent Afrcan bid again. And as I said before, they KNOW LA and the USA will always be ready for the next round. So even with that flashy LA scenario as it is without being fine-tuned, and a rough but meets-the-markers Durban bid, the IOC would give it to Durban so as not to put the city and RSA thru other bidding cycles. LA should consider that scenario.

All Durban has to say is: missing 5th ring and We Won't be Back in 4 years; and they'll have it in the bag.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The attraction you have to Durban is sickening. So even if the Durban bid sucks the Summer Olympics should go there just because it's never been there before? Nonsense.

• Like 2

While the LA document looks quite refined already, I think they should really keep in mind a long-term strategy, i.e. accept that they might not get it immediately, because of the European/African competition, but prepare the ground for success one or even two cycles later.

If they only aim at 2024, they might throw a lot of money out of the window.

The attraction you have to Durban is sickening. So even if the Durban bid sucks the Summer Olympics should go there just because it's never been there before? Nonsense.

That's NOT what he said at all. Go back & actually read what he said before jumping to conclusion & jumping on people's backs.

• Like 2

I mean why choose the same city again if there are interesting options in other countries and the likes of SF, NYC and Chicago haven't hosted in the US?

IDK why, but it's usually the foreigners that keep saying this. But what is the USOC to do if New York & Chicago aren't interested in bidding right now. And SF can never seem to get its act together. Paris I'm sure could give anyone a run or their money, but considering how the Parisians aren't exactly gung-ho ATM on bidding (& could be another Oslo 2022 scenario) & if South Africa refrains or doesn't cut the mustard, then a LA 2024 bid has the chance to become the next Tokyo 2020.

OK. It seems I am not communicating myself clearly.

I lived in the Los Angeles metro area for 16 years. I still have family there and have been there twice this past year. I am very, very aware of the fact that the stereotype is unfair.

Yet I also believe that people in Los Angeles will choose to present their region to the world through In-N-Out Burger, Disneyland, Hollywood, etc. I believe that because the LA people I know tell me I should move back there for those reasons. I believe that because the bid plan has TONS of Hollywood pics. I believe that because the bid plan envisions events and venues at Rodeo Drive and the Disney concert hall. I believe that because that was my memory of the 1984 games when I was living in SoCal (although I was very young at the time, so my memory could be off a bit.)

There is a lot more to LA than the stereotype, but I think Los Angelenos will choose to make the stereotype the headline of their bid and their hosting experience. And the plan presented does nothing to change my mind.

It does look like a good, realistic, economical plan, though.

Wow. I don't know who you hang out with, but neither I nor my friends would say "Move to LA for In-n-Out!" That's not how I would characterize LA, it's not how this preliminary brief is characterizing LA and its not the way the IOC would want to see LA. In order to win, LA would emphasize a lot of other key traits, goals that would be carried all the way through to the Games. So whatever your friends may think, what really matters is what the bid and civic leaders think. Clearly, they aren't saying "Come for the In-n-Out!." if they were, people wouldn't be as positive as they are about these plans.

Your last point.

Paris appears to be working very hard to get it right.

So far, I haven't seen evidence to support that. Neither the government nor the public seem very excited about a possible bid. There are economic concerns, distrust of the IOC and real opposition, as French posters on these boards have pointed out.

Hmmm....that photo doesn't convince me.

Yeah, I'm with Rob on this. I love the fact that they're thinking out of the box. There's a lot of great energy to that. I do think some of these plans will have to change and that's only natural at this stage. It's a great place to begin.

So far, I haven't seen evidence to support that. Neither the government nor the public seem very excited about a possible bid. There are economic concerns, distrust of the IOC and real opposition, as French posters on these boards have pointed out.

I do. The embryonic Paris bid team has visited London and spoken to Coe and some of the stakeholders involved with the last Summer Games, toured the Olympic Park and its facilities, and they've also flown to Tokyo to speak with the 2020 team out there and observe what they're doing. The domestic hurdles are there for Paris, but those who are currently guiding the "bid" are being very prudent and going about things in very muich the right way. Therer will come a time when we need to see more than this, and if the goverment/mayor says 'no' then it'll be all for nought, but at this moment in time - still a year out from the start of the bid process - they're doing some good prep work.

And if I had to guess what an 'In-n-out' was and why it'd appeal to IOC members, I'd never have guessed it was a burger. Erm...yeah....glad Google exists.

• Like 1

I mean why choose the same city again if there are interesting options in other countries and the likes of SF, NYC and Chicago haven't hosted in the US?

2 reasons:

1.) LA would stage superior world class Games with a superior concept and fantastic energy.

2.) Those other cities are not options. NYC and Chicago are not interested (and the IOC has already rejected them anyway). SF cannot get past their bureaucracy to get a quality bid off the ground.

I do. The embryonic Paris bid team has visited London and spoken to Coe and some of the stakeholders involved with the last Summer Games, toured the Olympic Park and its facilities, and they've also flown to Tokyo to speak with the 2020 team out there and observe what they're doing. The domestic hurdles are there for Paris, but those who are currently guiding the "bid" are being very prudent and going about things in very muich the right way. Therer will come a time when we need to see more than this, and if the goverment/mayor says 'no' then it'll be all for nought, but at this moment in time - still a year out from the start of the bid process - they're doing some good prep work.

And if I had to guess what an 'In-n-out' was and why it'd appeal to IOC members, I'd never have guessed it was a burger. Erm...yeah....glad Google exists.

Fair points there regarding meeting with other successful bids, but that seems more like reconnaissance than commitment to me. Without public and governmental support, there's no guarantee a bid can get off the ground. At this stage it sounds like there are problems on both fronts.

Obviously, you can't think objectively ...and well, if you get all excited by a nice plan and get ambushed...then ask the Chicago people to relive the moment they exited the Convention Room... :rolleyes:

The thing is you're NOT addressing the bull in the china shop. Sooner or later, the IOC will have to match FIFA's score sheet; and I don't think RSA/Durban are dumb enough to submit a bid that's subpar. Go figure out the rest...

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Yet I also believe that people in Los Angeles will choose to present their region to the world through In-N-Out Burger, Disneyland, Hollywood, etc. I believe that because the LA people I know tell me I should move back there for those reasons. I believe that because the bid plan has TONS of Hollywood pics. I believe that because the bid plan envisions events and venues at Rodeo Drive and the Disney concert hall. I believe that because that was my memory of the 1984 games when I was living in SoCal (although I was very young at the time, so my memory could be off a bit.)

There is a lot more to LA than the stereotype, but I think Los Angelenos will choose to make the stereotype the headline of their bid and their hosting experience. And the plan presented does nothing to change my mind.

It does look like a good, realistic, economical plan, though.

I see Athens made pretty much the same point, but seriously.. In-N-Out Burger? I'll admit when I visit LA, it's 1 of the things I want to check out, but that's largely because I'm an American who loves a good burger. Pretty sure that's not how they're going to sell themselves to the world. Disneyland and Hollywood maybe, but I don't think that's some sort of negative stereotype. If your LA friends are telling you to move to a place, that's different than asking a group of people (particularly an international group of people) to visit LA for a major event. You seem to be assuming the worst for the folks running the bid. Give them a little more credit than that.

IDK why, but it's usually the foreigners that keep saying this. But what is the USOC to do if New York & Chicago aren't interested in bidding right now. And SF can never seem to get its act together. Paris I'm sure could give anyone a run or their money, but considering how the Parisians aren't exactly gung-ho ATM on bidding (& could be another Oslo 2022 scenario) & if South Africa refrains or doesn't cut the mustard, then a LA 2024 bid has the chance to become the next Tokyo 2020.

That's what I was basically saying. LA if anything is an insurance policy but unlike someone said, against strong opposition I don't see it as a compelling option that the likes of Durban and Paris should worry too much about.

For the record, In-n-Out makes a really good burger. If LA2024 can get them to provide spectator food (somehow appeasing the McDonalds gods) they are a shoo-in.

Given a run between LA and Durban, it would go to Durban. Granted that Durban makes the technical mark, I think the IOC would be scared that if they turned Durban down, it would be another 2 or 3 rounds later before they see a halfway decent competent Afrcan bid again. And as I said before, they KNOW LA and the USA will always be ready for the next round. So even with that flashy LA scenario as it is without being fine-tuned, and a rough but meets-the-markers Durban bid, the IOC would give it to Durban so as not to put the city and RSA thru other bidding cycles. LA should consider that scenario.

All Durban has to say is: missing 5th ring and We Won't be Back in 4 years; and they'll have it in the bag.

Obviously, you can't think objectively ...and well, if you get all excited by a nice plan and get ambushed...then ask the Chicago people to relive the moment they exited the Convention Room... :rolleyes:

The thing is you're NOT addressing the bull in the china shop. Sooner or later, the IOC will have to match FIFA's score sheet; and I don't think RSA/Durban are dumb enough to submit a bid that's subpar. Go figure out the rest...

Do we really need to turn yet another 2024 discussion into a referendum on Durban? There's a lot of ifs involved in that scenario. IF Durban bids. IF their bid is technically sound. And IF the IOC actually believes Durban might not return after a loss. Why is it assumed LA will jump back into the fray (okay, that's a somewhat rhetorical question) but Durban wouldn't? You don't need to keep reminding us as if you haven't made it clear before that Durban is the 800 pound gorilla/elephant in the room/bull in the china shop/pick your cliche. LA does not need to sit there and tremble in fear at the thought Durban might bid against them. I doubt LA is going to go into a vote thinking they've got it in the bag, even if some from the Chicago camp seemed to think that way. South Africa certainly has a good case to make, but it's not a given. They need to present their case for hosting the Olympics, not simply to resort to rhetoric and idle threats and think that alone will do the trick. Either way, does it matter way Durban/RSA may or may not do in the context of looking at a Los Angeles bid? Not really. Nothing that hasn't been brought up before.

Do we really need to turn yet another 2024 discussion into a referendum on Durban? There's a lot of ifs involved in that scenario. IF Durban bids. IF their bid is technically sound. And IF the IOC actually believes Durban might not return after a loss. Why is it assumed LA will jump back into the fray (okay, that's a somewhat rhetorical question) but Durban wouldn't? You don't need to keep reminding us as if you haven't made it clear before that Durban is the 800 pound gorilla/elephant in the room/bull in the china shop/pick your cliche. LA does not need to sit there and tremble in fear at the thought Durban might bid against them. I doubt LA is going to go into a vote thinking they've got it in the bag, even if some from the Chicago camp seemed to think that way. South Africa certainly has a good case to make, but it's not a given. They need to present their case for hosting the Olympics, not simply to resort to rhetoric and idle threats and think that alone will do the trick. Either way, does it matter way Durban/RSA may or may not do in the context of looking at a Los Angeles bid? Not really. Nothing that hasn't been brought up before.

So what if it's been recylced? Has anyone here really contributed anything new? Is this only a Go-gaga-over a Glitzy LA plan? It's wowed us; but what good is that until it's up against the ultimate test. So sorry if I just happen to think a few steps ahead of you. Why are you the only one allowed to think a few paces ahead and if anyone does...then shoot them down. Get over yourself, Q.

This used to be a much more pleasant f*cking forum!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

For the record, In-n-Out makes a really good burger. If LA2024 can get them to provide spectator food (somehow appeasing the McDonalds gods) they are a shoo-in.

I sometimes wonder if cities could put up a comprehensive sponsorship and vendor deal along with their bid. That way they could use local brands for the concessions instead of the steady diet of McDonalds and Coca Cola. Although McDonalds is from Los Angeles anyway.

So what if it's been recylced? Has anyone here really contributed anything new? Is this only a Go-gaga-over a Glitzy LA plan? It's wowed us; but what good is that until it's up against the ultimate test. So sorry if I just happen to think a few steps ahead of you. Why are you the only one allowed to think a few paces ahead and if anyone does...then shoot them down. Get over yourself, Q.

And what if Durban doesn't bid? What if Los Angeles' competition doesn't include South Africa? We're all aware that Durban COULD BE formidable competition. You have brought it up before. We're aware. What are you telling us about South Africa that we all don't know already? Let everyone here go nuts over this LA plan without the caveat everyone knows of "well, Durban may bid, and then it's all for naught." Especially since not everyone believes that as strongly as you do. Not every discussion of every 2024 bid needs to be viewed from the lens of "but what if Durban bids, did you not think about them?"

I sometimes wonder if cities could put up a comprehensive sponsorship and vendor deal along with their bid. That way they could use local brands for the concessions instead of the steady diet of McDonalds and Coca Cola. Although McDonalds is from Los Angeles anyway.

Actually, McDonalds was founded on May 15, 1940 in San Bernardino, which is in a totally separate county than Los Angeles.

And Durban may or may not do the same? Honestly Baron you are throwing out Durban;s major obstacle; the failure of Rio 2016. Rio will probably go down as the worst games ever, next to Atlanta. The IOC will not be ready to jump into another billion+ dollar investment with another developing nation when Paris and LA would present amazing bids.

They have to improve their image, this is the way to do it. Saying it right here and now, Durban will win after they have shown themselves, until then their sh!t out of luck.

Do we really need to turn yet another 2024 discussion into a referendum on Durban? There's a lot of ifs involved in that scenario. IF Durban bids. IF their bid is technically sound. And IF the IOC actually believes Durban might not return after a loss.

I really don't understand why some on here are getting so upset that Durban has dropped in on the conservation in this thread. And it's not just Baron that brought them up, a couple of others here have to. Yeah, this thread is about L.A. but it only becomes natural in this forum to talk about the potential competition that any certain bid could face. Especially you, you're always one to talk about the "competition".

I don't see anyone here getting so hot-&-bothered with the mention of Paris (which has also been a point of discussion in this very thread). So it's a bit perplexing why some get their feathers ruffled so intensely when South Africa gets chimed in.

South Africa certainly has a good case to make, but it's not a given. They need to present their case for hosting the Olympics, not simply to resort to rhetoric and idle threats and think that alone will do the trick.

Why not. Seemed to have did the trick for Rio, carrying around that "map" with the big empty Olympic space on South America, & Lula flapping his gums that "it's finally South America's time".

Not any of the prominent members here have stated that all South Africa has to do is raised their hand & it's theirs for the taking. They admit that any bid coming from them would have to technically be up-to-snuff to get onto the short-list in the first place. But if/when they do, the tables are turned & it's no longer about who's got the better technical package, but about emotive & long-lasting legacy appeal. And it's something that L.A. (even with this "stunning" proposal, dubbed by some here already) will have to take into account. Especially from a city (& a country) that have hosted multiple times already. Even some of our international friends here still are not convinced with this new LA 2024 'glitzy' plan.

• Like 1

Rio will probably go down as the worst games ever,

That's a huuuuge call two years out. What I see is nothing tooo much out of the ordinary for the lead-up to a prospective host. Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London. All were getting this type of hysterical "it's all gonna be a shambles!!!!!!" doomsaying around the same time. Yes, Rio has some challenges ahead but I'd be surprised if it's not all gonna much more than alright on the night.

Is most of the gushing here because it's about the first detailed, "official" proposal we've seen here so far? That's probably natural after 500-plus pages on speculations about the USA bidding based on little more then wishes, hints, whispers, extrapolations and guesses. Of course the first glossy plan released officially is going to get a lot of interest. Especially as it's the first summer plan to really pick over, complete with pretty new graphics, of the 2024 race.

But I'm also gonna be interested in what else gets released. But then again, if I had my 'druthers, I'd prefer somewhere else in the US than LA. That's just me - I'd long for the attractions of variety. And, I confess, LA isn't my favourite city of my travels. I gather by reactions here it's a good plan - I don't know the ins-and-outs of LA enough, despite multiple visits, to rule on the technicalities of the plan. But it seems winnable - It's want to be, if the likes of an LA can't come up with a workable enticing bid plan, I don't know who could. If chosen by the USOC, I'd agree, any challenger, even a Paris or Durban, will have to be on their paces to challenge it.

Edited by Sir Rols

That's a huuuuge call two years out. What I see is nothing tooo much out of the ordinary for the lead-up to a prospective host. Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London. All were getting this type of hysterical "it's all gonna be a shambles!!!!!!" doomsaying around the same time. Yes, Rio has some challenges ahead but I'd be surprised if it's not all gonna much more than alright on the night.

Is most of the gushing here because it's about the first detailed, "official" proposal we've seen here so far? That's probably natural after 500-plus pages on speculations about the USA bidding based on little more then wishes, hints, whispers, extrapolations and guesses. Of course the first glossy plan released officially is going to get a lot of interest. Especially as it's the first summer plan to really pick over, complete with pretty new graphics, of the 2024 race.

But I'm also gonna be interested in what else gets released. But then again, if I had my 'druthers, I'd prefer somewhere else in the US than LA. That's just me - I'd long for the attractions of variety. And, I confess, LA isn't my favourite city of my travels. I gather by reactions here it's a good plan - I don't know the ins-and-outs of LA enough, despite multiple visits, to rule on the technicalities of the plan. But it seems winnable - It's want to be, if the likes of an LA can't come up with a workable enticing bid plan, I don't know who could. If chosen by the USOC, I'd agree, any challenger, even a Paris or Durban, will have to be on their paces to challenge it.

Rio's challenges are greater then any city before, Rio was NOT ready. Durban will have to show (more so than Rio) that they are ready to host the games. The best way to achieve this is by hosting the Common Wealth Games in 2022. Durban would be a shoo-in for 2028 if that occurred.

I just hope that if Paris bids, Paris wins. That is the only Euro City that I want to see host 2024, and I'm afraid if they loose 2024 that it will be a very long time till we see them again.

Why not. Seemed to have did the trick for Rio, carrying around that "map" with the big empty Olympic space on South America, & Lula flapping his gums that "it's finally South America's time".

Not any of the prominent members here have stated that all South Africa has to do is raised their hand & it's theirs for the taking. They admit that any bid coming from them would have to technically be up-to-snuff to get onto the short-list in the first place. But if/when they do, the tables are turned & it's no longer about who's got the better technical package, but about emotive & long-lasting legacy appeal. And it's something that L.A. (even with this "stunning" proposal, dubbed by some here already) will have to take into account. Especially from a city (& a country) that have hosted multiple times already. Even some of our international friends here still are not convinced with this new LA 2024 'glitzy' plan.

Good point, LA will have to create an even stronger legacy plan.

To me that's their largest obstacle considering the number of venues already in place.