Vietnam WITHDRAW the 2019 Asian Games Host!

Pui from HK

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indonesia getting sloppy seconds on two events now (2019 Asian Games and 2017 Asian Youth Games).

actually the 2017 asian youth games will held in hambantota and indonesia will host the 2021 edition instead...

But Indonesia's had a lot of recent practice shuffling big events around. Remember the 3rd Islamic Solidarity Games last year? FIrst they were awarded to Riau for April 2013. Then the Riau laborers struck and delayed preps. It was moved to Jakarta...but then the Miss World was going to be staged there at about the same time. So Miss World was moved to Bali and the ISG shuffled off to Palembang. Then they had Surabaya bid for the Asiad. So Indonesia actually has Surabaya and Riau in reserve as cities waiting to host an int'l sporting event...not to mention Jakarta, too.

LOL! I'm the opposite - I actually loved the food in Hanoi, had a few fave restaurants, but wasn't much impressed by the on-board "banquets" in the Halong Bay boats.

But yeah, I always thought Hanoi would need to be flattened and rebuilt again (and thus lose its charm) to host an Asiad. Those charming, teeming, narrow streets and laneways makes Hanoi and exotic and very colourful city, but would make the operation of a modern second tier multi-sport games a nightmare.

I thought the food on my junk was the best on my whole trip but let's not drag this on simply put Hanoi is not a good place to hold the Asian Games

Surabaya is far less capable than Hanoi. If Hanoi cannot host it, I can't see how Surabaya works.

How do you know, Pui? Eventually again, it'll ALL depend on OCA. If Tokyo can take it on:

1. the extra expense for staging it in 2019;

2. having the Village for 2020, ready by 2019;

3. if the IOC is OK with foregoing the normal pre-Olympic year test events; and

4. just cutting down the # of events just to those on the Olympic slate (so as not to build extra facilities for the non-O events); then Tokyo would seen to be the logical choice. But it'll all depend on OCA, and whom they think they can work with in a 5-year period.

Even though Tokyo is capable, I can't see them going for it or getting it, seeing how busy their Hosting Calendar is. 2019 Rugby World Cup and the 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics. Like I've stated before, I would like to see Dubai or Singapore Host it. Although, Singapore has already ruled themselves out. I don't think Qatar, Kazakhstan, China, Japan and South Korea should Host it, as Qatar Hosted the 2006 Asian Games in Doha, Kazakhstan Co-Hosted with Astana and Almaty in 2011, China Hosted in 2010 with Guangzhou and the 2007 Winter Asian Games in Changchun. Japan's Hosting the 2017 Winter Asian Games in Sapporo and South Korea is Hosting the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon. Maybe Taipei, Taiwan or Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia might step in, or Jakarta in Indonesia. So yeah, I don't think Qatar, Kazakhstan, China, Japan and South Korea should get it, as they Hosted recently.

What a shame about the withdraw of Hanoi, but also is so irresponsable. And about new city host, i'd like that the OCA let it go Bangkok or Taipei, or even Delhi can do this, and Tokyo... well they are busy with Rubgy Worl Cup, Asian Winter Games 8in Sapporo) and Tokyo 2020.

It's going to be the city that can build a new village and have its real estate market absorb that afterwards. From that angle, my bets are on Tokyo and the Indonesian cities. Taipei would have to build a whole new Village after the 2017 Universiade plus a few more venues. Singapore is a non-starter.

China could step in to garner a few valuable Asian votes for their 2022 bid. OCA would be grateful. Recent events hosts Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Nanjing or even Beijing itself could pull it quite easily by 2019.

Vietnamese Government to meet the Olympic Council of Asia, in wake of Hanoi 2019 withdrawal. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/major-games/asian-games/1019608-vietnamese-government-to-meet-oca-in-wake-of-hanoi-2019-withdrawal - Source: Inside the Games.

It's going to be the city that can build a new village and have its real estate market absorb that afterwards. From that angle, my bets are on Tokyo and the Indonesian cities. Taipei would have to build a whole new Village after the 2017 Universiade plus a few more venues. Singapore is a non-starter.

please baron just throw indonesia away from your bet and replace it with a better qualified nation...

because i'm afraid indonesians will use the asiad as the venue for their "sport-corruption" and it already happened in the sea games 2011 and remember it was the corruption that made india banned recently besides that in history after jakarta host an asiad indonesia was banned by the ioc so please don't let indonesia host an asiad to avoid further corruption and being banned by the ioc for the good of this nation...

please baron just throw indonesia away from your bet and replace it with a better qualified nation...

because i'm afraid indonesians will use the asiad as the venue for their "sport-corruption" and it already happened in the sea games 2011 and remember it was the corruption that made india banned recently besides that in history after jakarta host an asiad indonesia was banned by the ioc so please don't let indonesia host an asiad to avoid further corruption and being banned by the ioc for the good of this nation...

Hey I don't really care one way or another who gets it. I am just prognosticating.

See here... http://www.insidethegames.biz/major-games/asian-games/1019558-new-2019-asian-games-host-to-be-chosen-in-september-as-it-is-claimed-indonesia-are-favourites

I don't see Indonesia as a favorite, specially after the many issues they had to face for the organization of a much smaller event such as the 2011 SEA Games. They would have lots of trouble getting everything in time.

Indonesia would be considered favourites IMO, because they finished Runners-Up to Hanoi in the original Bidding Process with Surabaya. Although, I think Dubai would be a strong contender.

^^ I know, but that was when they had 7-6 years to prepare. Now they only got 4. Which is not the same. Also didn't Dubai decided to resign back then for reasons I don't remember clearly atm?

Apparently, Dubai didn't even Bid. Here is the Wikipedia Article, with a link on that page that leads to another link. This is what it says - This is the second time that Dubai was Bidding for the Games after Bidding for the 2014 Asian Games. However, Dubai pulled out at the last minute, citing that they want to focus on future bids. The committee's first vice-president denied any pullout and claimed the UAE's National Olympic Committee "did not apply for hosting 2019 Asian Games and it only considered this".

I wonder what affect Hanoi's withdrawal will have on the 2023 Asian Games Bidding Process? Would Hanoi Bid for 2023? If they did, would they be turned away, because they were actually given Hosting Rights then withdrew. I don't think it's much of an issue if a City withdraws from Bidding, but when you Bid and eventually Win, then withdraw, that's a different story IMO.

Could Hanoi withdrawing Hosting Rights for 2019, affect the number of Bidders for the 2023 Asian Games? Who knows. In a Democratic way, Surabaya should be chosen as the new Host, as they were the Runners Up. But would Surabaya want to be known as the "Second Best Choice"? In my personal opinion, apart from that I feel Surabaya should be chosen because they were Runner's Up, these are the Cities I think that would be the strongest Hosts who haven't Hosted recently or at all:

- Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

- Singapore, Singapore.

- Taipei, Taiwan (Chinese Taipei).

Note: Could Tashkent, Uzbekistan be a Good Host? They haven't Hosted before also.

I also found this on Wikipedia. Potential takeover Countries:

- Taiwan (Chinese Taipei) (Probably Taipei as City) - Sports Affairs Administration said they are in interested in other international sports events and New Taipei City is bidding for the 2023 Games. Kaohsiung meanwhile claimed they would spend one month for evaluating the possibility.

- Indonesia (Probably Surabaya or Jakarta) - Favourite to host the Games and proud to be if selected. However, they realised the budget is differ to the pass and Indonesia Olympic Committee chairwoman Rita Subowo questioned whether they have enough time for preparation and new government may not agree to the plan.

- Japan (Probably Tokyo) - Not interested, focus on 2020 Summer Olympics and also the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

- Malaysia (Probably Kuala Lumpur) - Considering, if the Olympic Council of Asia help in financial as cost of hosting is too high. However, Youth and Sports Minister denied any plan to host and claimed the top priority is for 2017 Southeast Asian Games.

- Singapore (Probably Singapore) - Not interested, as claimed by Ng Ser Miang, vice-president of the Singapore National Olympic Council.

- Thailand (Probably Bangkok) - Not interested, cited that five years time is too short for preparation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Asian_Games#cite_note-12 - Source: Wikipedia.

Sorry for the Double Post.

Archived