Skate America, 24-26 Oct, Chicago (Hoffman Estates), Illinois
Skate Canada Int'l, 31 Oct - 02 Nov, Kelowna, British Columbia
Cup of China, 7-9 November, Shanghai
Rostelecom Cup, 14-16 November, Moscow
Trophee Eric Bompard, 21-23 November, Bordeaux
NHK Trophy, 28-30 November, Osaka
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, 11-14 December, Barcelona

Still debating going to Skate America... hrmmm

Well, if Stockholm's also in the mix; I think it might go Glasgow 2017 (Glasgow's never hosted) and probably offer 2018 to Sochi (as per tradition). Helsinki last hosted in 1999; Stockholm in 1922 (and Gothenburg's hosted recently in 1976 and 2008). The last UK hosting was in 1995 at Birmingham.

Once the new Warriors Arena's foundations are laid, I hope San Francisco can bid/host for 2022 or 2023. (The last time was in Oakland in 1992 -- so it would be like 30 years for the Bay Area from that time.)

Here's a listing of the post Olympics worlds

1924 Manchester (M), Oslo (W)

1928 Berlin (M), London (W)

1932 Montreal

1936 Paris

1948 Davos

1952 Paris

1956 Garmisch-Partenkirchen

1960 Vancouver

1964 Dortmund

1968 Geneva

1972 Calgary

1976 Gothenburg

1980 Dortmund

1984 Ottawa

1988 Budapest

1992 Oakland

1994 Chiba

1998 Minneapolis

2002 Nagano

2006 Calgary

2010 Torino

2014 Saitama

Below are the pre-Olympic Worlds

1923 Vienna

1927 Davos (M) Oslo (F)

1931 Berlin

1935 Budapest (M), Vienna (F)

1947 Stockholm

1951 Milan

1955 Vienna

1959 Colorado Springs

1963 Cortina d' Ampezzo

1967 Vienna

1971 Lyon

1975 Colorado Springs

1979 Vienna

1983 Helsinki

1987 Cincinnati

1991 Munich

1993 Prague

1997 Lausanne

2001 Vancouver

2005 Moscow

2009 Los Angeles

2013 London, Ont.

The trend of former Olympic cities hosting post Olympic Worlds is somewhat fairly recent.

The trend of former Olympic cities hosting post Olympic Worlds is somewhat fairly recent.

I also refer to the same list on wiki. It's a recent trend because post-Lillehammer, they are staged in larger, metro areas w/ their own int'l airports. Whereas before, if they were in mountain towns, like an Innsbruck or a Lake Placid, they were really too small to host a World's.

I also refer to the same list on wiki. It's a recent trend because post-Lillehammer, they are staged in larger, metro areas w/ their own int'l airports. Whereas before, if they were in mountain towns, like an Innsbruck or a Lake Placid, they were really too small to host a World's.

Lake Placid was put forth by the USOC together with Colorado Springs for the the re-assigned 2011 Worlds, but Moscow rolled out the red carpet and was the logical choice since they were the ones willing to spend. Also, former WOG's cities hosting post-Olympic Worlds is not tradition as you indicated above, since prior to the 02/06/10 hosting, only Garmisch-Partinkirchen was the only for WOG city that has hosted post-Olympics Worlds. And also, looking back at the list of previous Worlds host, the only smaller cities/towns to have hosted were the likes of Davos, Garmisch, Cortina. Majority of Worlds were still held in big cities which can be accessed by air or rail.

Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir have split:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/05/07/74651462

Not that surprising as the fact that they had a strained personal relationship was pretty well known. Also, I wonder if their extreme height difference & weird look on the ice hurt them. (Although, you could really say the same for Radford/Duhamel in certain ways, and they've had success on the world stage.)

Anyway, I hope that Castelli and Tim LeDuc try out together. They seems like they could be a winning combination.

So many pairs & dance breakups have been happening.

To illustrate this problem, consider that the top 6 in each discipline from the previous World Championships are the seeded entrants into the next year's Grand Prix (meaning they get their pick of where to skate).

Fo example, here the likely top 6 seeds in the Grand Prix for pairs, which is maybe the most extreme example:

Savchenko/Szolkowy (broken up, Szolkowy retired and Savchenko is forming a new pair with Massot)

1. Stolbova/Kilmov

2. Duhamel/Radford

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch (broken up)

3. Peng/Zhang

4. Sui/Han

Bazarova/Larionov (broken up)

5. Antipova/Maisuradze

Berton/Hotarek (not contininuing)

6. James/Cipres

Crazy, huh? Grand Prix assignments come out June 27 and I can't wait!!!

In other news, the ISU is going to be linking together some of the Senior B competitions to create a new 'Challenger Series.' Seemingly, the ISU will be providing greater support for the competitions selected. At the end, the participating skaters will be ranked and earn money. I think it could be a great thing, but I'm curious to see what happens. Here is the ISU announcement:

http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pair-skating-and-ice-dance/news/2014/04/isu-challenger-series-in-figure-skating

Here is a PDF complete list of international figure skating events for 2014-15:

http://static.isu.org/media/147051/1864-fs-intl-comps-2014-2015.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Yup! Finally, after three tries, Helsinki got it this time. And an important one.

Venue: Hartwall Areena

hartwall_areena_helsinki_finland_photo_f

Fourth Worlds for the Finnish capital. They hosted in 1914, 1983 and 1999. 1999 was also at the Hartwall Areena

Here is the full list of hosts for the various 2016-17 ISU Championships:

http://www.isu.org/en/news-and-events/news/2014/06/isu-championships-2017-provisional-allotments

Taipei is sure hosting a heck of a lot.

Been attending a club competition here in Austin this weekend (Bluebonnet Open). A lot of promising young skaters there, including Amber Glenn (2014 US Junior Champ), Ashley Shin (2014 US Junior Bronze Medalist), Clara Untalan (2014 Philippine Junior Champ), and Emily Chan (she skated on the Novice level at US Nationals last year, I like her a lot, is very expressive).

CANNOT WAIT until Grand Prix assignments go out on June 27.

Simon Shnapir has announced he has a new parternship with DeeDee Leng and that they will be training in Boston.

No word yet on Marissa Castelli (maybe Leng's former partner Timothy LeDuc??).

To keep the thread updated, Castelli has announced that she's partnering with Mervin Tran. He most recently competed for Canada but also won a world medal for Japan. Still waiting to find out if Skate Canada will release him to compete. Link: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/06/10/79080006/

I think he'll be released by Skate Canada. I'm waiting to see is Russia will be releasing Moscovitch's new partner. But Skate Canada can invoke a rule that she hasn't competed for Russia in more than 2 years.

I think he'll be released by Skate Canada. I'm waiting to see is Russia will be releasing Moscovitch's new partner. But Skate Canada can invoke a rule that she hasn't competed for Russia in more than 2 years.

I tend to think Tran will be released (he only skated for Canada for one year), but obtaining US citizenship will be difficult, likely impossible, if they plan to spend much of the year training in Canada. Tran and Castelli will have to give up the 2018 Olympics.

5 days before announcement of Grand Prix Assignments. Asada, Kostner have confirmed they'll be sitting out the season in the ladies. For ice dance Davis and White will also be skipping, no announcement yet from Virtue and Moir.